What Creeps You Out?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Smells and inmates dragging their fingernails on my hand.

WATCHING stuff gets me more than DOING stuff.

EMTSteve

Forum Crew Member
I can handle ANYTHING... blood/guts/brain matter whatever. But..... for some reason vomiting while transporting gets me. The smell is trapped. No windows to roll down, the exahust vent dont work worth a damn. gag.

Scout

Para-Noid
Crepitus, never like feeling around and getting a good grateing going on.

Its only a minor spine tingler and i get over it but its never nice

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
I have pulled floaters out who have been crab bait for days in the hot summer sun, been puked on, had medics with me crapped on and I clean up the stair chair/stretcher. But what really gets me is the sickly sweet smell of 3rd degree burns. Saw some folks burn up in an interstate wreck 15 years ago and I wont forget the smell or the screams.

OP
OP
BossyCow

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Crepitus, never like feeling around and getting a good grateing going on.

Its only a minor spine tingler and i get over it but its never nice

LOL I have a knee that does this due to RA. I use it in classes as a teaching tool.. "this is what crepitus feels like"

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
LOL I have a knee that does this due to RA. I use it in classes as a teaching tool.. "this is what crepitus feels like"
Oooh, thanks for the idea. I don't know why I've never thought of letting the students take a gander at my creaky old knee. It sure creeps my husband out.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I was able to watch a mortician embalm a body one day. When he went to remove the brain from her skull, I about hit the floor. It wasn't watching it, or even the smell - it was that sort of sucking sound it made as he pulled it out.

And how could I forget - suction. ANY kind of suction. Just turning on the suction in the back of the ambulance used to get my gag reflex going. I have gotten just a little bit better about it though, since most of the time I can hear it running. Now if I can just get over the overwhelming feeling of gagging while I actually suction a patient. Luckily for me, I haven't had to do it much recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
Ok... does anyone know what rotting garbage smells like??????? Dispatched to residence for a 63 y/o male c/o SOB. UA found pt walking in the back yard of said residence. This was a very very hot day for northern Indiana, 96 degrees. As i got closer to the man and the back door of his residence i smelled the most disgusting, putrid smell i have ever smelled in my life. I have dealt with dead bodies but, yea this was bad. The man had maggots crawling in the door jam of his doorway. He motioned me to follow him into the house, I just tol;d him "lets stay out here". he says well i need to sit. I had my trainee go in and get a chair.... he came back looked at me and said " Doc i hate you " and went around the rig to ummmm... sound like he was going to die. The patient smelled just as bad. he was fine. wouldnt tolerate O2 or anything else. but made sure to tell me he needs medicne for his depression. So I took him to the ER, got him a bath and apologized to the ER staff tons upon tons of times.
Oh and he kept talking with a huge spitwad in his mouth he refused to spit out. he said he was fine. That makes me gag the most.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
dead bodies and the station that grows critters larger than my children

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Big, fat and dead alcoholic ketotic diabetic lying in the sunlit windowseat.

For about two hours. No A/C. Thank heavens it was a body removal, nothing expected from us.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Eye injuries. *shudder* I had a lot of eye problems as a kid, I think that's why.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Burns... they just bother me. Most people who get burned are innocent... as opposed to the gang member who was shot last week...

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Smells! Whether it be fecal, vomit, death or what have you, I can't stand it. I will probably never get use to it. Oh also people messing with their eyes. I can't put eye drops in with out my husband holding my eye open. My eyes start to water when I see someone else putting eye drops in, even if it is on TV.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Haha, have to agree with you on the GI bleed smell...

Although, I can put up with a lot while on scene, as I know that someone needs to get the job done.