What Could Have Been Done At This Scene?

Bystander

Forum Ride Along
Greetings, all.

As my user name implies, I am not an EMT, firefighter or other emergency personnel. In the early '90s, I was a volunteer fireman for a few years, working along I-40 in Tijeras, New Mexico. But, I've always felt compelled to become involved when I run across a crisis. A recent incident has left me with some concerns of my own.

About a week ago, a 14 year-old boy attempted to run across I-30. Unfortunately, he did not survive his attempt. I happened to be just a few seconds behind the vehicle that struck him. I did what I could for him, which was virtually nothing. I couldn't think; I think the pain meds the doctor has me taking numbed my brain. The thought that something more could have been done for him bothers me every day.

I've gone over the facts as best I know them. The boy was struck in the passing lane in a 65 mph zone by an SUV. My brief examination of him revealed a large lump on his left arm (which would have been on the side facing the SUV; I took it to be a sign that his arm was broken). His eyes were shut. A pool of blood extended about 18 inches from under his head when I arrived; by the time I left, his blood extended 2 lanes to the shoulder of the road. When I attempted to feel for a pulse, his muscles felt stiff, even in his neck. Most of his arm and neck felt cold to my touch. Logically, I think he was too badly injured for anyone to save him, at least too badly injured for me to save him. Doubt nags at me a little bit.

It bugs me that I did not start CPR on him. I didn't do it because I was afraid to do it. I was afraid of angering people for making the attempt on him and doing it wrong, maybe even hurting him worse. I tried to think of what else to do. It did not even occur to me to attempt to use pressure to stop his bleeding. I never even looked for where he was bleeding. I was afraid of handling his body, partly because I was afraid of making someone angry and partly because I would probably ruin my clothes performing what would likely be a futile attempt to save him.

There were several other people at the scene, including a police officer who had witnessed the accident. I did not see anyone else make any effort to provide the boy with medical attention until I asked the officer how carefully she had checked his vital signs. She told me that she had not. I told her that I would like to make another check of his vital signs, which I did. As we knelt next to his body, I told her that I could attempt to administer CPR, but I did not know if it would do any good. She did not answer me. I think she was not medically prepared to deal with this situation, and wanted to concentrate on controlling the scene until other personnel arrived.

I've seen injuries like this boy's at an accident scene. My first accident, before I was even a firefighter, involved a man who was ejected from his vehicle on I-40. We did not find him for 3 hours after the accident, but when we did, a paramedic who was with us began immediate and vigorous CPR on him. At the EMT's request, I held that victim's head immobile. I'm thinking that I should have done that for this accident, too. I learned after the first accident that the man's head injuries meant that he would not have survived. I think this boy had similar head injuries. I think that's the reason his eyes were shut. I think he went into rigor mortis within seconds of being hit. I don't think anyone could have saved him.

I don't have anyone with whom I can talk about this. The civilians who were at the scene certainly wouldn't understand. They had already given up all hope and simply assumed he was gone, even while I was checking for his pulse. I probably made some of them upset at me because I dared to touch the man's body (his neck). They don't understand, and I can't tell them, especially because I failed to do any better than they did.

When medical help finally arrived, 5 or 10 minutes after I arrived, they examined the boy. I don't know what they did. I held the boy's best friend away from the boy's body (again, probably earning his resentment for doing that), and I was also facing away, so I don't know what the paramedics did. They didn't work for long before they gave up and covered him with a tarp. I was at the scene for only a half-hour.

I would like to know, at least, what procedures I might have attempted? Would CPR have simply caused him more blood loss? What should I have done, at least as a formality?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
If there had been a trauma surgeon on scene with you, there would still be nothing he could have done for that boy. No amount of CPR could have done a damn thing. Im sorry that you had to go through this.

Let me tell you something though. Let it ring in your head loud and clear. That boy was beyond dead when you had assessed him. He suffered massive trauma and cardiac arrest, which is not survivable. Holding his head still, or providing CPR would have done nothing. You made the right call by not attempting compressions.

I hope that you will feel better knowing this.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I know it's hard but try not to beat yourself up with the what if's. I believe you did the right thing, there was nothing you or anyone else could do.

OP
OP
B

Bystander

Forum Ride Along
Thank you. That is a big part of what I wanted to know. I hoped very much that I did not make things worse than they were, for the victim or his family, friends and bystanders.

pumper12fireman

Forum Crew Member
From your description of the scene, I wouldn't have "worked" this patient. It seems like signs of obvious death were present. AND, you are completely correct in that performing CPR or other interventions can upset the family/bystanders. Which in the proper situation is just part of it, BUT, in this situation I think you made the right call. You're not an EMT or medic..so, I think you made the best of a very bad situation. You should be proud that you even stopped, as I'm sure there were many others who didn't.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Bystander, as the others had said due the mechanism of injury and the result of his injuries, there was nothing that could be done for him from the medical standpoint. What you did do is gave compassion and stayed with him so he was not alone when he left this earth. That alone is one of the greatest gifts that we can give is compassion. My thoughts are with you today......... -_-

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
That was a no win situation. From your description he died on impact.
For what your are feeling, first it is normal. People just shouldn't have to witness things like that. But we do and it's upsetting. If you have problems sleeping or it is constantly on your mind you should seek out someone to whom you can talk to about it. Perhaps your minister or a trained psychologist.
Do a search here for posts on critical incident stress and post traumatic stress disorder, (cis and ptsd). You will probably find some posts that will help you make sense out of how you are feeling.

I'm sure the boys family is glad you stopped and tried to help. You did the right thing in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:

aidan

Forum Crew Member
I'm very sorry that you're going through this. As little or as much as it may help, like everyone else on this thread, I can tell you that there's no way anyone could have helped him..whether it be a bystander or a physician.

There are several traumatic injuries our body can take..getting hit by a MV going 65mph is usually not one of them..he was more than likely dead on impact, or seconds after.. he probably didn't even feel it, if that helps at all..

It's normal to doubt yourself in this situation, many people go through this -- it just shows how compassionate of a person you are. You'll realize, though, that it's unreasonable to blame yourself for this.

If you think you're going to need more help getting through this, I suggest talking to a counselor about it. Big stressors like this can trigger psychological problems, such as PTSD the other poster mentioned.

Best of luck, and I'm sorry again

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
:glare:: Why do you want to be an EMT?
^_^: I can see a hospital from my house!

I have just died laughing.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And stop driving if your pain meds affect your thinking that much, OK?

Nothing good could have come from that type of accident as it was described.

OP
OP
B

Bystander

Forum Ride Along
Thank you all, again. I very much appreciate your input, and confirming what I kept trying to tell myself.

There were a lot of things that I did not know when I arrived at the scene. When I first saw the body, my first thought was that he was a motorcyclist, but there was no motorcycle. Then, I thought that maybe he fell out of a pickup truck, but there was no truck. I looked around, but there was nothing in the area except 50+ feet of grassy shoulder. There was nothing to explain how this body ended up in the middle of an interstate. Within a minute or 2, I found out that he had been struck by a vehicle, as the driver of the vehicle broke down in tears. I did not know for a day or 2 that he had been struck by an SUV.

In the week following the boy's death, I read several news articles about him, as well as blog entries about the accident. I attended the boy's "celebration service," something that I never got to do when I was a volunteer fireman (it used to bug me that I could not find out what happened to victims after they were removed from the scene). I've been able to see his family and friends and how they are coping, at least for an hour or so in public. Sometimes, I feel a moment of sadness for the boy, more for his family and friends. He had a great life, surrounded by a large, extended, loving family and many friends. He was popular, intelligent, active, and daring. That daring was the death of him. The driver of the vehicle that struck him is a minister, apparently holding a Ph.D. (as opposed to a Th.D.?), a healthy-looking 50 year-old with a wife and 2 children (who were in the SUV with him when they struck the boy). The minister knelt and held the dead boy's hand and prayed over him there in the middle of the Interstate. Even in death, the boy had the best of all worlds. The immediate aftermath of his death was gruesome, but I've certainly known of worse. I envy him.