What can we buy for our station?

RebelAngel

White Cloud
The best I understand it, my department is sitting on thousands of dollars that they have to spend before other money is available. This money has to go to the building per grant(?), it can't go to the trucks, community outreach, etc.

Ideas?

ETA: It's a joint Fire/EMS station.

Last edited by a moderator:

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Is this like a station where only one ambulance operates out of or is this more of a hub station where multiple crews and trucks will be at?

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
I edited to add, but it's a joint facility for EMS (one BLS ambulance), and fire department (multiple trucks, including a first responder truck). We have a truck bay with two offices and a storage room. In the back of the building is a bigger area/meeting room, kitchen, bathrooms (one with shower) and storage room. No sleeping quarters, we're all volunteer anyway. It's a new facility that was built from the ground up and opened last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
I edited to add, but it's a joint facility for EMS (one BLS ambulance), and fire department (multiple trucks, including a first responder truck). We have a truck bay with two offices and a storage room. In the back of the building is a bigger area/meeting room, kitchen, bathrooms (one with shower) and storage room. No sleeping quarters, we're all volunteer anyway. It's a new facility that was built from the ground up and opened last year.

Since you are volunteer, how about turn the back meeting room area into more of a classroom? That way all of you could meet up and do CE's, people could hold classes for refreshers and such. So if I were doing that, I would get of course tables and chairs, and if you already have them, why not upgrade to something more comfortable? At least one TV you could put on a wall, a projector and screen, reference materials that should be updated annually or every six months, a computer or laptop for teaching and storing information.

Im not totally sure how much money you have to play with or what you already have, but though some of that stuff doesnt have to be bought all at once, some should be bought together (like the computer, projector and screen)

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
We have a projector, big screen TV, blu ray, and vcr for that room. I think there is a surround sound system also.

ETA: And that room is currently being used for the EMR course, FWIW.

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
We have a projector, big screen TV, blu ray, and vcr for that room. I think there is a surround sound system also.

ETA: And that room is currently being used for the EMR course, FWIW.

Fantastic lol

Well then do you guys ever have public events there? If so maybe buy a BBQ or something so you guys could cook food for events or just go there and hang out. Is there like a living or common area aside from the one in the back?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'd find out exactly what you can use that money on. "Has to go to the building" is pretty broad. Can it be used for educational supplies to be used within the building for department training? Does it have to be improvements/construction?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A nice set of pots and pans? How's your furniture? How much money are you talking? Enough to add on? With a brand new building it's kind of tough. Goes your radio/communications system?

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Kitchen is well stocked.

Chief said the money was meant to help us buy things that were originally cut due to funding. They are becoming more and more lenient with how it's spent he said.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Get a couple of personnel trained at the ILS/AEMT level, and run an ILS ambulance.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Books :D

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
If it has to go to the building, as in the brick and mortar? or to improve the lifestyle at the building?

I'd agree that a Weightroom could be beneficial. and would be improving the building. Theory is if your volunteers are in shape they are less likely to become ill, less likely to become injured on the job, or even away from the job.