What can a Kid do in the medical field?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Technically the only way you can have an 'active' card is if you are actively employed by an agency wether it be paid or volunteer. it says it right on the certificate from NREMT: "This is not a license to practice"

People aren't trying to stomp out your dreams. Thats the last thing anyone here wants to do, just trying to make the point that you can wind up in serious trouble if you do something wrong, even if you were right, but a family member disagrees with you.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Cameron, i give you high regards for your enthusiasm about this field at such a young age,its something i wish i did..

Try to get some ride-along-time from the local volly/FD groups, as you stated in your post they were willing to give you a few once in a while

check the local hospitals as well, maybe you might be able to shadow an ER Tech in the ER or maybe even volunteer

one of the best things you can do right now is study study study.. the better you do in school the better it will be when you get out of high school.. i saw your a biomed student which is VERY impressive... try to take as many advanced classes as you can (Anatomy/Physio/Biochem/Chem) and do good in them.. it will help you be a better EMT/Paramedic/Nurse/Indian Chief

Good Luck!! and I hope you do great :)

Last edited by a moderator:

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Cameron, I would not risk messing with the Good Samaritan Act. This is what the law says for NY:

"Any person who voluntarily and without expectation of monetary compensation renders first aid or emergency treatment at the scene of an accident or other emergency outside a hospital, doctor's office or any other place having proper and necessary medical equipment, to a person who is unconscious, ill, or injured, shall not be liable for damages for injuries alleged to have been sustained by such person or for damages for the death of such person alleged to have occurred by reason of an act or omission in the rendering of such emergency treatment unless it is established that such injuries were or such death was caused by gross negligence on the part of such person."

This law does not protect against everything, and if you are on stand-by at an event with medical supplies (ie. a jump kit), I believe this law will not cover you. This is not a law to play around with.

Second, you should always provide EMS care in a team. It is not good to give care as a lone provider. Your partner is there for your safety, and besides most calls an ems provider runs require two people (ie. CPR).

Third, there are many supplies and tools that are needed for good ems care. For example, AED's, Oxygen, Backboards.

I have been in EMS for three years now, and just like you, I started when I turned 14. PM me for additional advice or questions, Id love to talk to you.

OP
OP
Cameron

Cameron

Forum Crew Member
Again I thank you all for the advice given above.
I plan on taking my MFR course starting in jan. from there I will see if any of my local dept.'s will take me in from there. If not I will try do ride-a-longs when I can. Next September when school starts up again I will be starting my Life Guard course.

Over the summer I am usually away for NJROTC (I was gone for seven weeks last summer), This next summer I believe I will have a week off. I do know that there are events that happen in the fall, such as running. I will see (if I am not with a Dept.) if I can staff a first aid tent (if I get proper coverage).

If I missed something or anyone else has suggestions please feel free to post!

Much appreciated,
-- Cameron

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Second, you should always provide EMS care in a team. It is not good to give care as a lone provider. Your partner is there for your safety, and besides most calls an ems provider runs require two people (ie. CPR).

Say what? There are settings where someone is the lone provider. Standbys and remote medical stations come to mind. Although I'm sure there are others.