What are the Best Paramedic Schools in the US? And are any of these near good skiing?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Washington state has great programs. Top 3 in the state consist of Harborview, Central WA University and Tacoma community college. Harborviews program requires you to work for Seattle fire prior to enrollment into their program. Cwu's program is a great program as well. I'm currently in their program and the extent in which they teach you is beyond the national curriculum. Very good Program. Tacoma's program is also very respectful. Cwu's program is pretty selective in their candidates, they dont accept an normal joe off the street. They also offer a bachelor's degree in Paramedicine which is pretty rare. Hope this helps! Oh yea the skiing is pretty darn good as well. Ski hill 1 hr away.

True,with a few corrections. Although Harborview does require you to be employed by an an affiliated agency, it's not just Seattle Fire. Many folks are hired by King County Medic One as EMTs (with at least 3 years experience) and then attend HMCs program. TCC is also extremely selective in who it admits. Usually 200 applicants for 24 slots every year. I know several medics from both Central and TCC and the programs are similar.

And yeah, the skiing is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Someone told me South Lake Tahoe was good.

There is no paramedic program in So. Lake Tahoe.

I'm biased but we have awesome skiing in the Reno/Tahoe area.

REMSA has a well respected school with a near perfect employment rate for graduates. It's pricy and it's not a degree program. We also have a program here through the CC in Reno, from people who I know that went there they all wish they went to REMSA. The CC program has came to be known as somewhat of a patch factory for area fire departments.

The current director is leaving though and going back to the field so I'm not sure how the future programs will end up. They were talking about extending it from 12 months to 18 months full time.

Last edited by a moderator:

InkaHootz

Forum Ride Along
Ski bum and medic here....

I went to paramedic school at the Center For Emergency Medicine in Pittsburgh Pennsylavania. There, it is taught over 2 semesters and is considered the junior year of college for the students who are studying for their B.S. in Emergency Medicine. The opportunity for you to learn how to be a successful paramedic are excellent in that school. I highly recommend it.

The closest ski resort to here is 7 Springs. It's not bad. Definitely no Colorado though.

You won't get some sort of fantasy world where you "learn to be a medic on the slopes." Sometimes doing one thing means you can't do another.

But...AFTER medic school, you can always move to that ski town.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ski bum and medic here....

I went to paramedic school at the Center For Emergency Medicine in Pittsburgh Pennsylavania. There, it is taught over 2 semesters and is considered the junior year of college for the students who are studying for their B.S. in Emergency Medicine. The opportunity for you to learn how to be a successful paramedic are excellent in that school. I highly recommend it.

The closest ski resort to here is 7 Springs. It's not bad. Definitely no Colorado though.

You won't get some sort of fantasy world where you "learn to be a medic on the slopes." Sometimes doing one thing means you can't do another.

But...AFTER medic school, you can always move to that ski town.
CEM is a great program. My school licensed their program.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Does anyone here know anything about Cambridge, MA's Professional Ambulance Center for Medics (CFM)?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Does anyone here know anything about Cambridge, MA's Professional Ambulance Center for Medics (CFM)?

I did some clinical time at pro ambulance. the talk from the medics and nurses was it was a pretty good program. I also heard that some of the instructors were really harsh on some students for stupid things like pink stethoscopes or shears.

BigBad

Forum Crew Member
Try Colorado Mountain College, Edwards, CO. Solid program, a few miles away from Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge.

SURFKT22

Forum Ride Along
NCTI in Roseville California is a really good school. It's pretty costly but within an hour or two of several ski resorts around Lake Tahoe.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Weber State University
Ogden, Utah

Accredited, certificate or associate degree
Close to all of the Utah Ski Areas
4 hours to Jackson Hole, Wyoming