What are some things I can start doing now to prepare me for Paramedic School?

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, I'm an EMT-B and am looking to start paramedic school in next couple of years. I'm taking the advanced training in the fall.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of things that I could start doing now to prepare myself for medic school? I recently started writing down all the prescriptions I see, and am trying to learn those. Things like that etc..

Thanks for you help!

-Dan

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Go to college and take your basic science classes, like bio and chem. Take a full year A&P course. Take a math course if you're weak at math. Micro wouldn't be bad if you have time.

You should be able to knock that out in two years as a part-time student.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
As said previously, focus on the basics. Algebra, Biology, Chemistry, A&P...these will all provide a solid foundation for you.

Even if you don't actually go to class, get on coursera or one of those MOOCs or Khan Academy and familiarize yourself with the principles. Invaluable education.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
In short, check your local colleges for what they require for entry into nursing school. You may not end up going to nursing school... but you'll have a LOT of base knowledge that will absolutely help you in Paramedic School and beyond.