What antics from students do you hate the most?

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Looking at this from the perspective of someone who precepted Basic students alot, what would hack me off were the FF's who were "there for the cert". They would take no interest in learning where the equipment was on the truck, which I went over with everyone. They showed up with sloppy uniforms. They had no interest in learning when I went over stuff about our calls. And god forbid you say anything about their lack of professoinalism because "I'm just here for the cert" would come up.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
if i could just point out the pitfalls

Having the student engage in chores, while helpful and seemingly polite, can set you up for problems.

If something is supposed to be done and doesn't get done, the student cannot be held responsible by the agency. So if they mess up an equipment control, don't perform it at all for whatever reason, or are acting too independantly, somebody who trusted them or used the student to reduce the amount of work from a paid provider, at the agency is going to take a big hit on the off chance things go wrong. Like anything, themore students you have the higher your risk exposure.

All it takes is for one person to start treating a student like a probationary firefighter (not picking on FFs but they are notoriously hard on new people) and having them do all the crap work (aka F ******new guy, rookie, etc ) for them to file a harassment or hazing complaint. In addition to the person doing the "harassment," the preceptor, shift officer, etc can get dragged into the mess. The student most likely will not be returned to the clinical site, but the fallout can have longterm effects on the careers of people named.

When you start giving students poor reviews for the inability of not being an unpaid part of the team, it creates a hostile environment not conducive to learning. They are paying to learn. Your agency is hosting them (often receiving something in return) doing daily chores is not part of the curriculum. academia recognizes a clinical site as a professional worksite, not as "your house," it is possible to ruin professional relationships for expecting more than the required academic learning objectives. (another reason why preceptors should be specially chosen and trained, not just whoever shows up for work)

It is not that I don't appreciate when somebody helps out or that I would turn an offer for help down, the problem comes in when people start expecting it. When the line between student and team member blurs, problems inevitably develop.

Last edited by a moderator:

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
they have to realize that they are representing the school they are attending. i just dont understand how you can take a class and not care about whats on the truck or where it might be. its not my job to have to do my job and babysit at the same time. i got stuff to do and that doesnt involve showing them where all our equipment is while tryin to set up a line or throw a pt on the monitor

we dont require our students to do our daily chores and to be quite honest everyone on each shift has their designated thing that they like to do on the days they work. so having a student come in and help throws everyone off. what are you really gonna learn by mopping the floor? you will learn more if ya hop in the back of the ambulance and say "can i help you with this?"

offering to help is a big bonus. gets you invited back for extra ride alongs or to stay longer for the day

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
they have to realize that they are representing the school they are attending.

Devils advocate: Why should I care what someone thinks about a school I'm attending for 3 months to obtain an EMT-B certification, especially when it's unlikely that anyone has ever heard of or encountered any students from the school outside of the local area?

reaper

Working Bum
Having the student engage in chores, while helpful and seemingly polite, can set you up for problems.

If something is supposed to be done and doesn't get done, the student cannot be held responsible by the agency. So if they mess up an equipment control, don't perform it at all for whatever reason, or are acting too independantly, somebody who trusted them or used the student to reduce the amount of work from a paid provider, at the agency is going to take a big hit on the off chance things go wrong. Like anything, themore students you have the higher your risk exposure.

All it takes is for one person to start treating a student like a probationary firefighter (not picking on FFs but they are notoriously hard on new people) and having them do all the crap work (aka F ******new guy, rookie, etc ) for them to file a harassment or hazing complaint. In addition to the person doing the "harassment," the preceptor, shift officer, etc can get dragged into the mess. The student most likely will not be returned to the clinical site, but the fallout can have longterm effects on the careers of people named.

When you start giving students poor reviews for the inability of not being an unpaid part of the team, it creates a hostile environment not conducive to learning. They are paying to learn. Your agency is hosting them (often receiving something in return) doing daily chores is not part of the curriculum. academia recognizes a clinical site as a professional worksite, not as "your house," it is possible to ruin professional relationships for expecting more than the required academic learning objectives. (another reason why preceptors should be specially chosen and trained, not just whoever shows up for work)

It is not that I don't appreciate when somebody helps out or that I would turn an offer for help down, the problem comes in when people start expecting it. When the line between student and team member blurs, problems inevitably develop.

This problem was brought up for checking off the ambulance. That is a part of an EMT's job and their training. It teaches them the different equipment and supplies, that are used. It makes them prepared to do their job and to treat their Pt's.

We are not talking mandating cleaning duties. We are talking about something that is part of the job and is required. We do not expect them to check it off by themselves. They work side by side with us to LEARN! That is why they are there. Not to sit on their *** and collect hours.;)

Angel

Paramedic
people who thought they knew everything...i remember one guy wouldnt shut up and he ended up dropping the class a few weeks into it...i saw him getting books for his fourth time around :rolleyes:

i also dislike the level of shyness, when doing practicals guys would be so bashful about touching the females...they need to get over it
there will be lots of touching if these people have a career as an EMT