What am I so afraid of

Anjel

Forum Angel
Why am I so afraid to find a job as an EMT.

I know my stuff. I did well in class. I passed my tests. I got my license.

Now what? I'm not an anxious person. But why am I having so much anxiety over finding a job doing the one thing that has made me happier than any other class/job.

Am I not ready to work? I don't know. Just kinda venting.

I feel lost. I've never had to "search" for a job. Both jobs I have had in the last four years have been given to be through family members.

Now after a semester class my entire lifes changing. Sorry just felt a little bit overwhelmed. Probably a product of lack of sleep and it being 1:11am.

But any advice, critisism, :censored::censored::censored: kicking, is more than welcomed. I probably need it.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You said yourself, maybe you aren't ready. Volunteer first. It will be a good safe environment for you to nail down those skills and get some one on one time from you partners, ask questions listen to their stories. You'll be fine.

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
The only thing is there are no volunteer opportunities really unless you are a fire fighter.

I think I am more afraid of rejection. But isn't everyone?

I applied to the 3 main companies around me today. So hopefully I will hear something soon. Before I drive myself nuts.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Best way of getting over the fear is doing what you're afraid of.

They're not going to slap you in a uniform and drop you on the truck and go "Have fun! figure it out!"

Don't stress, every single provider was in your position at the start of their career. The ones who walked out of class cocky and "ready" are the ones who are usually crappy over confident medics/emts.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Best way of getting over the fear is doing what you're afraid of.

They're not going to slap you in a uniform and drop you on the truck and go "Have fun! figure it out!"

Don't stress, every single provider was in your position at the start of their career. The ones who walked out of class cocky and "ready" are the ones who are usually crappy over confident medics/emts.

Ditto. I was confident in class (i have a bs in bio), but still totally aware i was getting into a new field for me. landing a job was easy but i about :censored::censored::censored::censored: my pant my first day. for the first 4 or five months when i met my partner for the day i said hey im not just new to the company im new to ems, and i want to be a good emt. just about everyone was really cool and when i messed up wouldnt get mad but would educate me. i would always ask questions, famously within the first 30 minutes of a shift i would ask "what do you want me to do if we work a code". it gets easier.

one partner, upon learning i was new, brought me in the back and we wasted all kinds of stuff just playing with it and doing scenerios.

my advice: apply for jobs everywhere, each ap will be easier than the last, each interview will be easier than the last and when you get a job each shift will be easier than the last (generally)

everyone was new once, the fact you are nervous is good because it means you know that there is still a lot more to learn:)

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
Ditto. I was confident in class (i have a bs in bio), but still totally aware i was getting into a new field for me. landing a job was easy but i about :censored::censored::censored::censored: my pant my first day. for the first 4 or five months when i met my partner for the day i said hey im not just new to the company im new to ems, and i want to be a good emt. just about everyone was really cool and when i messed up wouldnt get mad but would educate me. i would always ask questions, famously within the first 30 minutes of a shift i would ask "what do you want me to do if we work a code". it gets easier.

one partner, upon learning i was new, brought me in the back and we wasted all kinds of stuff just playing with it and doing scenerios.

my advice: apply for jobs everywhere, each ap will be easier than the last, each interview will be easier than the last and when you get a job each shift will be easier than the last (generally)

everyone was new once, the fact you are nervous is good because it means you know that there is still a lot more to learn:)

aw thanks. that actually made me feel a little bit better.

clibb

Forum Captain
You will build up a confidence that will get you through. Everyone is nervous at first.
Just imagine being a brand new Paramedic, that has to be nerve wrecking.