Were you nervous when you started?

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Just curious, how nervous were you when you started in EMS? To me, I think I might be when I eventually start. Knowing I might be have to make that split second decision between life and death. Just a thought and I figured I would ask.

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
I was scared out of my mind for the first few weeks. Not sure if i was doing things right. You could tell by the look on my face that I was scared. It definately took some time for me to settle in and get comfy. And to be quite honest there are some days that I'm just off that I'm scared i'm gonna screw up big time but a little reassurance from my crew and it's all better!!!

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Take comfort in the fact that most of your patients will survive no matter what you do to them.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'm halfway through my final internship for paramedic and I'm still scared crapless.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hell yes. Still scared. Granted, I don't get too much patient contact (campus EMS), and when I do, it's not that bad, but it's still rather nerve-wracking.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Still am, especially with patients I don't see often. Late term pregnancy? Neonates? Super-complicated, rare, fragile patients that don't know anything about their condition either? Scare the hell out of me.

Just don't look like you're scared.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Scared when I started? How about still scared, seems to be the general mindset around here anyhow.

Besides, I think it is good to stay a little scared. Keeps it from just becoming a job and makes you constantly seek after improvements in your pt care.

harkj

Forum Crew Member
yup I was scared out of my mind, I would get so nervous and forget to talk to the patients but I was lucky and had a really good medic that one day stopped doing all the talking so I just started talking.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
yup I was scared out of my mind, I would get so nervous and forget to talk to the patients but I was lucky and had a really good medic that one day stopped doing all the talking so I just started talking.

Scared of what?

Edit: As a side note, I am not calling you out by any means, the question was phrased to the group as a whole, I just happened to click on your posting as it was the last post I read.

Last edited by a moderator:

harkj

Forum Crew Member
to be honest sounding stupid and not really knowing what to say, I don't feel that way now of course.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
What You Will Learn Is This...

An emergency call unfolds in moments, one after the other. As you become more and more prepared and then experienced, you build up a Bag Of Tricks that allows you to fill up more and more of those moments. The Bag includes technique, therapies, sequencing, manipulation, discernment, communication, connection, and on and on. The more moments you learn to fill with action, the less moments you have available to poop your pants.

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
i have my first day on the job tomorrow. just an orientation ride but i know ill be starting soon and i am scared out of my mind. but a very good medic once told me if i ever stop being scared switch jobs asap.

medic417

The Truth Provider
The only thing that scares me are those that are not educated enough to be scared.

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
Of course! I was terrified to start something new and to be introduced into a whole new community. Its always frightening to realize that you're going to make mistakes no matter how hard you try not to, but we all got through it, I still make mistakes, but you'll learn and get better and better, don't worry. ;)

smsturms

Forum Ride Along
the moment this job becomes routine and things don't give you the "Pucker Factor" time to become a nurse!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Wait, we're supposed to make those kinds of decisions!?

:ph34r:
Usually, split second isn't needed, take a second or two. It may seem like a minute, but a briefly considered action can prevent a hasty and inaccurate one. (I specialize in hasty correct action myself).

Actually no, I wasn't nervous. I was working closely with a supportive but firm boss (retired LAPD LtDet), had excellent foretraining, and was in really good physical shape.

(Yeah, I know, hard to beleive).

I got nervous later on when I would discover that I wasn't perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: