Well no more Paramedic course for me....

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Hockey,
Is there any way you can find a roomie in the Detroit area? DMS express, CEMS, Healthlink...one of those have to be hiring Basics (same company). LSTI has a new Sheriff in town. Been hearing better things about their program. Seems to be making strong efforts toward improvements recently.

I can't break my house lease

Sasha

Forum Chief
$3000? :wacko: That wouldn't even get you half-way through my program. (I didn't research before I chose an EMT/Medic school)

Me either. Woohoo for being naive and young! That would get you semester one out of however many they decide you need.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Wow your programs are really exenspive! The program I just signed up for goes like this $185 to start class then after 16 weeks its another $175 then at 32 weeks another $175. This is of course not a degree program but con-ed. Also PALS ACLS ITLS are all included, you just have to buy your text books and workbooks.

Yes my program is only $535, plus books whick break down to roughly $550. Look into it if you dont believe me. It is a con-ed course at local C.C. http://www.faytechcc.edu/con_ed/fireresc.asp

You need to read and tell a little more. First it is offered as in-service to local emergency services and to the public IF there is any openings. As well, you will not recieve any college credit for the course. This is for Basic or Intermediate, Nurse Aide, EMT -D ( which I thought has been abolished about 20 years ago and so forth). I did not read anything about ITLS, PALS, or ACLS or any advanced level past the Intermediate that would allow you to complete those courses.

I guess you might want to add reading and math to that list as well. From what I read from the traditional program guide is that it is $50 per credit hour and that the EMT course is 7 credit hours ($350) + 2 hours for practicum ($100) =$450 That is just the basic alone.

Now figure that the program is a 51 hour credit course @ $50 = $2,550 for the program. Not including insurance, testing and immunizations. With the complete program at 72 hours/$3,600.

(http://www.faytechcc.edu/areas_of_study/documents/A45340EmergMedScience.pdf)

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
You need to read and tell a little more. First it is offered as in-service to local emergency services and to the public IF there is any openings. As well, you will not recieve any college credit for the course. This is for Basic or Intermediate, Nurse Aide, EMT -D ( which I thought has been abolished about 20 years ago and so forth). I did not read anything about ITLS, PALS, or ACLS or any advanced level past the Intermediate that would allow you to complete those courses.

I guess you might want to add reading and math to that list as well. From what I read from the traditional program guide is that it is $50 per credit hour and that the EMT course is 7 credit hours ($350) + 2 hours for practicum ($100) =$450 That is just the basic alone.

Now figure that the program is a 51 hour credit course @ $50 = $2,550 for the program. Not including insurance, testing and immunizations. With the complete program at 72 hours/$3,600.

(http://www.faytechcc.edu/areas_of_study/documents/A45340EmergMedScience.pdf)

Sad that its still cheaper then most of our programs :)

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Sad that its still cheaper then most of our programs :)

Non college programs are 4500 + books on the cheap here while college courses run in the 10 grand area. One accredited school managed to make it more expensive by having a separate cost for the A/P portion. Not a bad idea to have A/P separate but it just raises the cost. Encourages passing the first time! ^_^

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Non college programs are 4500 + books on the cheap here while college courses run in the 10 grand area. One accredited school managed to make it more expensive by having a separate cost for the A/P portion. Not a bad idea to have A/P separate but it just raises the cost. Encourages passing the first time! ^_^

Encourages, but people still don't take it seriously enough.

Our first failure from my class... paid the 3 grand, spend the 10 weeks in class learning the same stuff as the rest of us, and utterly failed the first 2 exams.

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
So a little bit ago, I received a phone call that basically was a kick in the gut.

I'm currently doing the Michigan Works No Worker Left Behind program. Basically its 5k a year for 2 years up to 10k of training in a high demand profession. Have to be unemployed or make under 40k.

All my paperwork submitted for paying my Paramedic course and I got a phone call from my case worker at Michigan Works. She said I'm going to have to be placed on a watlist until more funding is available. She said she didn't know how long that could be. Maybe a few weeks, maybe not till next fiscal year.

So I asked if I made a down payment on the course, would that be alright. She said no because once I pay for it, they can't pay for the course.

Said I'll hopefully hear something in the coming weeks.

All I have to say is wow. Thanks for a kick in the stomach

Get into other TA programs. Tuition Assistance for Paramedic programs are all over the place. (In WA anyways) Most expensive, is $10,000 for an entire year long program. with TA, you can make it into $500, even $200 monthly payments.

In WA, you can get tuition assistance for an $800 EMT-B class, all the way up to a $10,000 EMT-P class. (but most run around $5K, unless you're in Spokane, or UW)

Or if you get hooked up with a FD, you can go through EMT-P for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN
You could always go to the bank for an education loan? refinance on the house?

there are a few options, but it is going to involve you jumping up out of your computer chair and getting on the ball before you miss any more fall deadlines!

TommyKeet

Forum Probie
No that is the full cost of class 535 PLUS books. It is a coned class. It is a newer program they are doing, it is called INTERMEDIATE-Paramedic Intial, meaning you go in a basic and at the end of class you can test Paramedic and yes acls pals and itls is included in class.

Patrol42

Forum Ride Along
$3000 is the average for college based and private based down here for the ones I researched, but of course there's more expensive. I saw some at $5000+.

But add in that they include ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, CPR class, all of our books, all of our supplies, and insurance for only that $3000 and it's a great deal.

That is a great deal! It's 13,500 down here.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
That is a great deal! It's 13,500 down here.

It is $13,500 in CA only if you are throwing your money away at a medic mill. The tuition for community colleges in CA is only $20 - 22/credit hour. A full 2 year degree will not even come close to $13k.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Oops reply didn't post...I went back to school at 27 y/o.

Get some paper...
Above all else, what are your deadlines??

1. Cash for credit hours is the beginning. Need textbooks, student fees, parking, materials, living. Get it all figured out.
2. Get professional help. Your bank may have a free financial advisor available. The school will. Think outside the box. If you can do it without the state unemployment, then do it. The state unempoyment worker might have some suggestions about other programs also.
3. IF the house is holding you back, think about it. Can you renegotiate if you have been a good renter and they know you are in need? Can they rent you a more economical or better placed unit and roll some or all of your deposits over?

Drop the Mt Dew, go out and seize the day.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow... CA has some cheap tuition.... Maryland and surrounding is around $202 per credit hour for out of state, $153 for out of county, and $98 for in-county. So far my financial aid has paid a little over $10,000.... I am so fortunate for the PELL grant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually, california community colleges have gone up to $26 a credit hour. For the Universities, it's obviously more.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I am confused by a lot of the numbers being thrown out there myself. Back when Medic seemed like a easily reached goal (8 years ago - long story) I was planning on $10,000-12,000 for a non-medic-mill in CA. Now, I know a Team Leader for SAR that is going medic and is spending $16,500 for her medic. Meanwhile, I'm hearing numbers like $500 and $3,000 being thrown out there on the forums and am scratching my head. :wacko:

dmc2007

Forum Captain
The local CC where I am taking my EMT-B offers a certificate program for around 6000 IIRC. Not sure what the cost is if you want to earn an AAS.