Wednesday morning check-in

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
There are four of us logged in right now so I just wanted to say HI to everyone.

Chimp

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Me too.... :D

Most people I've seen here, although I hope it just keeps going up!!!

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Yes, I'm glad to see the forum becoming so active as well. It looks like we have a good crew going.

Chimp

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
The night's still young on the left coast. :D Though I'm off to bed soon.

Glad to see everyone contributing to the board, and thanks to all of you.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
6.5 hours left of my shift. YAY! (not)

Chimp

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Jun 16 2004, 12:32 AM
6.5 hours left of my shift. YAY! (not)

Chimp
haha.

We work 12 hour shifts, and I can't tell you how excited I get when the 6-hour time comes. The only thing better than that is when dispatch clears us for fuel and the main. It's like Christmas every time I hear those words, it's sick really.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I'm at the 6.5-hours-left-to-go mark again. HAHA I see a few of us are on. Just wanted to say hi.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I feel for ya. I got off work a few hours ago, and start my EMT-IV class tomorrow.

BTW, I was going to ask you where Sarasota is in relationship to Jax? I don't have a map handy, or I'd look it up. (Really, I figured you just need something to do. :p )

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Sarasasota is about 4.5 hours southwest of Jax. I am a hour south of Tampa, if you know where that is.

Chimp

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yeah, I spent a year in Orlando when I was in the Navy.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Ahh, Orlando. We go there a couple of times a year. Gotta love Pleasure Island.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I just noticed that we had eight guests at this time.

Come on, join the fun!

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Just saying hey. 15 mins till Paramedics is on. WOO HOO. Just Kidding.

Dave

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Jun 24 2004, 12:44 AM
Just saying hey. 15 mins till Paramedics is on. WOO HOO. Just Kidding.

Dave
Paramedics is a quality show. I think I've seen every one... twice. It's one of those shows I've had on in the background as I do other stuff.

I was impressed by so many cities, but Detroit's EMS episode looked bad. The ambulance had almost no equipment, which is absolutely true. But I guess I'm just critical of Detroit, I guess it's a big-city problem.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I think Detroit was the one where they took a drunk guy home. When the say taxi service I don't think that's what they mean. LOL

Chimp

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Hey all - my name is Erika - I'm a rescue lieutenant and currently an acting captain of a small volunteer fire department (including rescue). I also volunteer with an ambulance corps a couple towns over.

I am an EMT-CC (critical care) certified in New York State and Suffolk County. I have been doing lifeguarding/first responder stuff for over 10 years, I have been a certified EMT for 4 years.

I stumbled upon this site because I did a google search on the name of a member of my FD who was involved in a fatal hit and run last week.

Nice to meet you all! :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuelt@Jun 24 2004, 03:05 PM
Hey all - my name is Erika - I'm a rescue lieutenant and currently an acting captain of a small volunteer fire department (including rescue). I also volunteer with an ambulance corps a couple towns over.

I am an EMT-CC (critical care) certified in New York State and Suffolk County. I have been doing lifeguarding/first responder stuff for over 10 years, I have been a certified EMT for 4 years.

I stumbled upon this site because I did a google search on the name of a member of my FD who was involved in a fatal hit and run last week.

Nice to meet you all! :)
Erika,

I'm glad to joined, it's good to have you. First, welcome me welcome you, it seems you have lots of experience in EMS.

Sorry to hear about how you found the site, I'll respond to that other post you replied to separately. I'm glad you're here though, and I hope you continue to stay active!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to the forum, Erika.

Hope you don't mind if I continue to call you RescueLt in the forums, though.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Of course. :)

DFDEMS

Forum Crew Member
Hello,

I found this forum doing a google search on Detroit EMS as a matter of fact. Nice place.

Just wanted to clarify, the episode from Detroit was the one where they took the drunk guy home. .....

As far as lack of equipment you are right, we dont carry much by most standards. We have 3 "bags" so to speak.

BLS bag (with als equip if ALS unit)

Airway bag

Ped bag (not on BLS rigs)

A drug box (shallow because of local protocol) but it actually works well with our times from scene to ER. I dont think you could get to a 3rd line drug if you tried, probably not even a 2nd.

A LP-12 (or an AED if basic unit)

4 boards, enough c-collars for a MCI, 4x4's etc out the rear. All or most is placed in compartments inside the truck out of sight.

1 "big person" tarp (on most trucks)
2 "splits"
1 stairchair

Seems like a lot of stuff when you have to check it off on the sheet every morning but some places carry more.

I think one of the reasons the trucks are set up this way is because we run 2 deep. You and your partner, no engine 130,000+ times a year with less than 30 rigs and under 300 people.

It gets to be a pain sometimes humping in a BLS bag, airway bag, LP-12, and the box into a house and then figuring out how your going to get all of that stuff back to the truck when you have to carry the pt out like right now

all in all I have to say that I agree that the episode did and does make us look bad.

Stay Safe