Wearing bunker/turnout pants?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We have turnouts on my volunteer squad and 2/3 of my paid jobs. Both those jobs amd volunteer agencies EMS provides all rescue services. So we have tunrouts that are not structural rated, they are USAR rated for flash/slash/bbp/CBRNE. When im on a cut its just easier to wear them when transporting. Also during snow storms we usually put additional crews on and i will just wear gym shorts or sweatpants and slippers around the station and jump in the turnouts when we get a call. Its much easier to tramp around in the snow in rubber boots and overpants than like BDUs

By your same line of reasoning, EMS crews should get turnout gear and scba's so we can go into buildings and rescue pts from structure fires?
Unless it's a fire based EMS crew, not gonna happen.

Id love to introduce you to some squads in NJ. One of the agencies i work for runs a Heavy rescue and if you are both an EMT and FF, we respond to structure fires and act as the rescue company, doing search and entry work during the fires. There are a couple agencies that operate this way

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
One of the agencies i work for runs a Heavy rescue and if you are both an EMT and FF, we respond to structure fires and act as the rescue company, doing search and entry work during the fires. There are a couple agencies that operate this way
Would that agency happen to be in Hunterdon county? sounds likes something FRFARS would do, but I haven't seen it happens outside of there.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Would that agency happen to be in Hunterdon county? sounds likes something FRFARS would do, but I haven't seen it happens outside of there.
They are the "famous" ones, but there are others....at least 4 others I know of, 2 of which are also in Hunterdon

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
well, I heard CEMS and WRS do something similar.... can you PM me the ones not in hunterdon? more out of curiosity, I hadn't heard of any one else who did.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I was issued EMS turnout pants at my old dept that they let me keep.
I use them here in the winter because I may be in Sweats or regular tech pants and when we are going out on a wreck we go from a 70 deg building to -20 F or colder with up to 60mph winds. warmth

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
Id love to introduce you to some squads in NJ. One of the agencies i work for runs a Heavy rescue and if you are both an EMT and FF, we respond to structure fires and act as the rescue company, doing search and entry work during the fires. There are a couple agencies that operate this way

I completely understand that a FF/EMT or FF/Paramedic acts more along these lines...our local fire department typically uses their squads (one FF/Medic and one FF/EMT) for SAR purposes during fires. My comment was more along the lines of someone who is solely an EMT/Medic, working for a third party service, with no FF certifications or experience.