Water park interview...

GEORGEL5

Forum Probie
So I applied for a seasonal EMT job at a local water park and was called for an interview. I am very nervous considering this will be my very firt interview for an EMS position and I have no idea as to how the process might be.
I was hoping someone could give me some tips/advice as to what kind of questions will be asked at the interview particularly at a water park. Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated.:)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Probably stuff like "do you have a car to get to work", "do you own an alarm clock", :)
Over dress for the interview. Just because its a water park don't show up in shorts and a t shirt. At least wear a nice polo and khakis. Better yet a button down and khakis. Arrive early and make an effort to chat with your fellow interview candidates. This is going to be a customer service kind of gig and they will probably watch you the minute you come in the park to see how you interact with people (I would be watching anyway). Be polite, yes sir no sir thank you sir. You'll do fine, good luck.

OP
OP
G

GEORGEL5

Forum Probie
Thank you. Do you think they will ask anything to do with EMS protocols, equipment etc.?

hoop762

Forum Crew Member
I had a similar job last summer at a local water park. The job interview and application process was pretty standard. Nothing medical was included except for proof of licensing. It was very much a public relations job. Spent most of the days handing out band aids and sun screen. The park wanted me to dispense meds like Ibuprofen and tylenol, which I refused to do. Never had an emergency out there but that was OK with me. Easy money and no one got hurt. Crazy tho....I made more money at the water park than working on the ambulance.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

ABEMS

Forum Crew Member
Thank you. Do you think they will ask anything to do with EMS protocols, equipment etc.?

I think it would depend on what kind of postion it is. Are they hiring EMT to respond to emergencies on site? or are they hiring life guards, but you happen to have a EMT cert. Be prepard to know the most important stuff, like CPR, drowning related injuries, hyperthermia, or any illness or injury that can happen at a water park. But you should always know the stuff that is within your scope of practice. Good Luck.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I worked as an EMT at a water park for several seasons. I had a great time, got a good tan. Handed out lots of band-aids. The park wanted me to work as a medic, but I refused, as they were not an ALS agency. So, I worked as a basic and had fun. Not much to do in the way of emergencies. Oh, the interview was a basic job interview. No medical or EMT questions were asked.

bigbaldguy

"The medical community has also documented the types of injuries park patrons are likely to sustain. In 2007, researchers documented amusement park injuries seen in two Pennsylvania hospital emergency rooms during 2006. They noted that out of 325 discharge diagnoses, 15 percent occurred on water-related rides; with 18 percent extremity fractures, 18 percent lacerations, 15 percent extremity sprains, 15 percent head injury/concussions, and six percent extremity contusions."

As taken from this article I found by googling water park injuries.

http://thesafetyrecord.safetyresearch.net/2011/07/14/summer-fun-waterpark-injuries-and-deaths/

I doubt they'll ask much about actual treatment protocols and such but it might be a good idea to read up on common stuff you'll see like severe sunburn, sprains, friction burns, heat stroke/exhaustion, intoxication, hypoglycemia (always something you see where people are out of their normal routine), ect.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Don't study the day of the test, get a good night's sleep, and don't say you can't swim.

Have your questions ready, about malpractice coverage, workman's comp for you, schedules, days off, overtime, uniforms, start and end dates.

And get this tattooed on your arm:
212434-127188-aquaman_large.jpg

OP
OP
G

GEORGEL5

Forum Probie
Hahahaha. If I get that tatoo they will probably hire me on the spot without any interview...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Then you have to wear that outfit.

NomadicMedic

By the way, don't mention anything about swimming. At the park I was at, aquatics and EMS were separate animals. We didn't get in the water, ever. Lifeguards would rescue/backboard people all day. Once they were on the pool deck, EMS took over to clear them off boards or transport. (99% were off the board in minutes) You will have nothing to do with water rescue nor will you ever get wet (unless you fall in to the pool).

bigbaldguy

Oh and don't forget to get a good dark pair of sunglasses so that you can look at the ladies without being obvious about it.

bigbaldguy

azerkail

Forum Probie
Spent most of the days handing out band aids and sun screen. The park wanted me to dispense meds like Ibuprofen and tylenol, which I refused to do.

sorry for the hijack but quick question. are you held to the local protocols or the protocols set by the park's company/owner? i'm guessing ibuprofen and tylenol no, but what about asa?

NomadicMedic

You're held to protocols you're working under. In many cases the park isn't an "official" agency, so you're basically just a first responder with a BVM. I'd err on the side of "less is more". If its beyond the scope of a 4x4 and tape, you should probably be asking for help. :)

Of course, YMMV. Do some checking on protocols, medical control and your scope of practice when on the property.