1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Was it worth it.

Discussion in 'EMS Talk' started by Wasitworthit, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Wasitworthit

Wasitworthit Forum Ride Along

Education:
    EMT
    So to start out. I was a EMT for 8 years. Was on a 911 ambo for 3 and did psych care before that. Starting out I was always able to swallow the saddness and “be a man” about things. I left the ambo because I was no longer able to do that. Just a average code would shake me. To be honest, in my opinion, I really didn’t see horrific things. There are people including some of my last partners that have seen really disturbing things and are still on the job. There are soldiers that go to war and see haunting things. But I till this day I am shook about calls, I can close my eyes and see the faces of the of pts, my body literally puts its self back at the scene. I feel like such a pu**y. There are days that I come home to my wife in tears just cuz I can’t get them off my mind. I just wish the public knew how strong you all who are still in the field and who served many years are.

2. NPO

NPO Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    Everyone handles things differently.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have calls that kept me up nights. If leaving the industry is what you need to do, then that's what you need to do. It doesn't make you deficient, it makes you human.

3. soflomedic14

soflomedic14 Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    I have ran a fair share of calls that I remember every single detail that you want to forget. I’m not sure if you’re provided with some type of incident counseling but if you are, take advantage of it. My department offers this and I feel like many people, including myself, have seen positive impacts from simply talking.

Wasitworthit likes this.