Was I wrong???

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Every once in awhile things don't get put back. Would your reaction have been the same if it were a tourniquet or BP cuff left out? I think that there was a potential for something bad to be in the syringe, but based on his answer (I'm assuming he was still groggy) he knew it was saline and thought it was no big deal. He probably didn't see that from your point of view it could have been an issue.

I would have let it go unless it was part of a pattern of behaviour.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Fair play, and I think that the OP had a legitimate concern. There is no telling what fluid was in the syringe.... for all the OP knew, it could have been a couple of leftover mcg's of Fentanyl that wasn't wasted properly. The OP may not have necessarily been looking for an apology as much as some professional courtesy. Depending on what was in the syringe, the medic taking off could have had a heck of a headache to deal with...

At my agency, I always try to touch base with the oncoming medic taking my rig to let them know of any deficiencies or concerns with the gear.

Since when are these drugs not labelled?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Since when are these drugs not labelled?

If the drugs are being drawn from vials, the vial is labeled, but the syringe isn't going to be labeled when it's being used for an entire 10 seconds.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Leaving a flush around is sloppy, disrespectful, or hurried.

A little like leaving a gun lying around. Is it loaded? Was it supposed to be there? Is my time so much less important than your that I have to pick up your stuff so you can go on and do better things?
"The outcome was benign, the mechanism, malign".
(me);)

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
If the drugs are being drawn from vials, the vial is labeled, but the syringe isn't going to be labeled when it's being used for an entire 10 seconds.

Most EMS "street medicine" types don't label their meds for a short use. In the hospital we are required to regardless of how short the use is for instances like this.

A little like leaving a gun lying around. Is it loaded? Was it supposed to be there? Is my time so much less important than your that I have to pick up your stuff so you can go on and do better things?
"The outcome was benign, the mechanism, malign".
(me);)

I doubt it was someone being lazy. More likely, it was just forgotten about or dropped and missed. We have a system here of calling out sharps i.e.:

"Sharps out"
"2nd Sharp out'
"2nd sharp away"
"Sharp away, all sharps clear"

when we are in the back of the medic, and if we know the needles are clear, then I wouldn't put it past someone to miss a syringe of NS during a clean of the truck.

Sure an apology would have been nice, but the fact that you would react so differently makes me think you took it personally...

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief

Seriously? That is absurd. Everything should be labelled, all the time. Surely its just part of the drawing up process, regardless of how long its used for. We tend to stick the amps to the syringe which is less than ideal, but at least its a kind of label.

Well then if this is common place then its probably more reasonable to be annoyed about a syringe being left around.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Seriously? That is absurd. Everything should be labelled, all the time. Surely its just part of the drawing up process, regardless of how long its used for. We tend to stick the amps to the syringe which is less than ideal, but at least its a kind of label.

Well then if this is common place then its probably more reasonable to be annoyed about a syringe being left around.

Wouldn't the absurd thing be to draw medication and not use it immediately?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

While in theory I agree, I can't say that when I put 10 of morphine in a syringe that then gets used, twisted back on a capped blunt and then placed in my shirt pocket I ever really label it. It's not like it's easy to mistake where it is. The empty vial also goes in the same pocket for documentation purposes.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Wouldn't the absurd thing be to draw medication and not use it immediately?

The pt can't wait the <5 seconds its takes to label the syringe?

While in theory I agree, I can't say that when I put 10 of morphine in a syringe that then gets used, twisted back on a capped blunt and then placed in my shirt pocket I ever really label it. It's not like it's easy to mistake where it is. The empty vial also goes in the same pocket for documentation purposes.

Well then I suppose in a sense it is labelled isn't it. I worked with a intensive care bloke a bit who used to slap some tape with an A on it when he drew 100mcg/10ml push dose adrenaline out of the 1:10,000. It doesn't have to be some super official infusion label, just some kind of reasonable attempt at noting that syringe as drug filled. If that happens to be your right top pocket then its not ideal but maybe that has to do at the time. Its not like we don't take shortcuts here and there either, its just that the culture here is not to take a shortcut in that particular manner.

Maybe it happens here, but I've not come across it. Even IM injections, which are in the sharps container 20 seconds after being drawn up, are labelled. So its not so much a criticism as an expression shock at a certain cultural difference that I didn't expect.

Having said that, I don't know why you wouldn't just take a second to mark the syringe though. Who is that sick they can't wait a couple of seconds for that drug, or couldn't spare 5 seconds after the first dose for you to label it.

huey28

Forum Probie
this is why i check my truck with gloves on, i think a blood sugar strip with blood on it is worse then this, and i can tell you when i get into work in about an hour and check my truck i will find at least 2-3 used blood sugar strips a full trash can and a over flowing bio hazard box, i never wrote anyone up, id rather speak to them, tell them my concern and if they say "so" just proves to me that they are scum. and when they need a swap i will crush them with a bigggg nope.

word travels fast in ems, its a small world I dont know how it is where you guys live but in mass if you write someone up for random things it will get out and you will never been the same.

sorry for my random post, i just woke up and my coffee isnt done yet.

now i say good day!

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

I tape the vial to it, because later I'm going to want to waste that with someone who wasn't present in the back of the ambulance, and I want them to be as comfortable as possible with the waste.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Having said that, I don't know why you wouldn't just take a second to mark the syringe though.
Honestly? Bad habit I've picked up and just haven't thought to shake as it's never caused me grief. Not a good answer I know, but truthful.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly? Bad habit I've picked up and just haven't thought to shake as it's never caused me grief. Not a good answer I know, but truthful.

Well I like sinning too much to get into the stone throwing game :p

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I leave the vial attached to the needle (blunt tip). No question of what is in the syringe, once used, it goes in the sharps box. If I found a syringe w/o needle in the truck I would just toss it, whining to management isn't the best option.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't write that up, but don't let him say "so" either. It is just a mistake, but that was a lame response on his part.

Go take some tennis lessons, work on that backhand...... Next time he says "so" instead of a my bad, or oops sorry bout that. Give him one of those backhands you have been working on!

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
By making an official complaint over a trivial issue that posed little to no safety risk to y ourself or other, you have effectively committed social suicide at your station. The fact that you claim to have been a medic for 15 years, yet have to ask on an online forum about this issue (with everyone disagreeing with you) shows that you either have poor social skills, no common sense or both.

Last edited by a moderator:

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
By making an official complaint over a trivial issue that posed little to no safety risk to y ourself or other, you have effectively committed social suicide at your station. The fact that you claim to have been a medic for 15 years, yet have to ask on an online forum about this issue (with everyone disagreeing with you) shows that you either have poor social skills, no common sense or both.
Or something else, that was in fact referenced in another thread.

But you would be surprised...I hope...at how often those traits are common in the US among prehospital providers.