Want some feedback on a dog

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
So about 8 months ago moved out on my own into an apartment (i'm 22 btw) and I am about 1200 miles from my family and friends. I have a girlfriend but shes about two hours away at school and we only get to see each other about two weekends a month. So I had the idea that I should get a dog! but the only problem is that I work 24s on a 3 week rotating schedule so I wouldn't have time to consistently train a puppy, and every experience ive had with rescue dogs have not been pleasant ones. So does anyone have any ideas or experience or ideas that could be of help? Just to save time, Ive already thought about pad training the puppy, but could I also train it to go outside? Thanks for feedback!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Don't buy, adopt. Rescue dogs are great, but leaving a dog crated for 24 hours is a little cruel.

RebelAngel

White Cloud
As a person that is involved in dog rescue, and that has three dogs myself (two rescued and one AKC registered purebred I bought from a breeder) I'm going to tell you do not get a dog. The only way you should get a dog is if you're willing to pay someone to interact, walk, (and on) during the day, on a regular basis consistently, as you are unable to do when you are not there. I will pretty much guarantee you that if you get a dog under the circumstances you wrote above, you'll get rid of it within a year because of "behavioral" problems.

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Don't buy, adopt. Rescue dogs are great, but leaving a dog crated for 24 hours is a little cruel.

Oh no I wouldnt leave him crated! If I did I would most likely put up a baby gate between the kitchen and living room and let them have the kitchen.

RebelAngel; said:
As a person that is involved in dog rescue, and that has three dogs myself (two rescued and one AKC registered purebred I bought from a breeder) I'm going to tell you do not get a dog. The only way you should get a dog is if you're willing to pay someone to interact, walk, (and on) during the day, on a regular basis consistently, as you are unable to do when you are not there. I will pretty much guarantee you that if you get a dog under the circumstances you wrote above, you'll get rid of it within a year because of "behavioral" problems.

That was another thing I was thinking about, getting a sitter service I can either bring my dog to or have someone come and be with it for at least some of the day. As far as behavioral problems, would the sitter interaction prevent that from happening or would it be kind of inevitable?

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Dogs, especially puppies, are like toddlers. Remember that.

I do not thing with appropriate, consistent, care the dog will have behavioral problems just because of the hours you're on the job. There are ways to own and keep a dog if you have a job with long or weird hours, if you're willing to drop the money on training and/or care, since you can't invest the time. Some professionals I know even take their dogs to doggie daycare a couple days a week...they say that really helps with behavior, socialization, and general happiness of the dog (and human).

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Go volunteer at a local shelter. You will meets lots of types of dogs and individuals. You can learn about training and behavior. And meet some interresting people!
A new and especially a young dog really needs to become part of your "pack". Trying to make do with daycare and such is dicey, and if things don't work out, the dog is the big loser, and you will be the second.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

(+) 1000 this post..

I have two rescue dogs, 1 a Shiba Inu (Eva) My kids named her from the Disney Movie Wall-e.

Another a American Eskimo (Max)

Both Rescue dogs and I have positively no issues with them the only issue I have now is that my Shiba now 12 years old has some difficulty making the steps every now and again, As far as behavior. NO problems. as far as tearing up the house No problems. I would recommend a rescue dog or adopting a dog from a shelter anyday vs. purchasing one from a puppy mill breeder whos just looking to make a few bucks.

I work a ridiculous schedule, that limits my hometime and my other half works just as crazy as I do. So we rely on a friendly neighbor.

She does a lot for us If she's running late she'll get the kids off the bus, if were going to be gone shes more than helpful to let the dogs out and come over to entertain them while were gone It works because she's 16, likes the extra bucks to feed her needs. and Its convienent because she's right across the street.

However IMHO I would say go out and try to make some friends or meet some people vs. having a dog you won't be home to see. That's not fair to the dog and will end in disaster. Once you get to know some good trustworthy neighbors or something it might be easier having a dog since you got someone to check on it when your not home.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Oh no I wouldnt leave him crated! If I did I would most likely put up a baby gate between the kitchen and living room and let them have the kitchen.

That doesn't fix the problem though. The dog ends up in a small space with little interaction, which generally does not end well.

This is why I (sadly) do not have a dog.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
This is why I (sadly) do not have a dog.
Me as well.

I'll likely be moving out of state in a few months and will try to find a roommate that would feel comfortable taking on the responsibility while I'm working 24s. That's really the only way I could see it working.