Wanna Be

p1l0t

Forum Probie
So I talked to some volunteer medics (EMTs or Paramedics IDK) and now I got this idea in my head that I really want to try this out. I have no previous medical training besides CPR but I am going to renew my CPR certification just so I can go on a ride along (company policy for the town volunteer corps). I've also been reading some of the threads in here as a guest and it seems like a crazy job that you guys do. It seems like it gets messy at times. and there are some 'frequent flyers' to deal with but saving a life once in awhile must make it worth it in the end. Anyway I figured I would introduce myself and who knows maybe I'll wash out or get grossed during training and never make it as one of you but I'm going to try it out. I am from CT I have a BS in Aviation Science, working on a Master's. I am pilot and flight instructor as a hobby. I work in a machine shop full-time as the IT guy and computer programmer actually but I still go on the shop floor and run the machines once in a blue moon if they are in a pinch or something. I ride my bicycle a couple times a week, so I am somewhat healthy, I can stick with something, I am always learning, and I love intense adrenaline producing situations but I still don't know if I could make it as an EMT. The more I look into it the more respect I have for what you guys do. I am going to give it a go though. I'm taking the CPR course to just to get the ride along mostly, lol. Although I really could use a refresher and you never know when it could come in handy I guess I don't have to tell you guys that. I should probably put off EMT-Basic until the Spring when I finish my degree though so I have more time to study and train but I am going to do the CPR cert. ASAP because I am excited about the ride along.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife. I hope the ride-a-long gives you the experience you need to make the right decision.

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
When I did my ride-alongs for my EMT class it really solidified my decision to pursue a career in EMS/Public Service. I am yet to really experience much, all I have done is 72 hours with a 911 Ambulance for my ride-alongs. I just finished school, and I just got hired on with a private ambulance company that does IFT/BLS work, hoping to get on the 911 side after some experience.

I took a shot with EMT-B school. I had no prior medical knowledge or experience, not even CPR. I always wanted to be a firefighter, so I started with EMT, and I LOVED it more than I expected.

I hope your ride-alongs go great, and I hope it helps you make a decision to pursue EMS or not. If working as an EMT doesn't seem like the right path for you, you could always get in through another avenue, be it becoming a pilot for a medical transport or maybe using your programming education to work on medical technologies, with education your options can be endless.

OP
OP
P

p1l0t

Forum Probie
Welcome to EMTLife. I hope the ride-a-long gives you the experience you need to make the right decision.

Thanks.

When I did my ride-alongs for my EMT class it really solidified my decision to pursue a career in EMS/Public Service. I am yet to really experience much, all I have done is 72 hours with a 911 Ambulance for my ride-alongs. I just finished school, and I just got hired on with a private ambulance company that does IFT/BLS work, hoping to get on the 911 side after some experience.

I took a shot with EMT-B school. I had no prior medical knowledge or experience, not even CPR. I always wanted to be a firefighter, so I started with EMT, and I LOVED it more than I expected.

I hope your ride-alongs go great, and I hope it helps you make a decision to pursue EMS or not. If working as an EMT doesn't seem like the right path for you, you could always get in through another avenue, be it becoming a pilot for a medical transport or maybe using your programming education to work on medical technologies, with education your options can be endless.

Thanks and yeah never thought about medical transport. I actually decided to fly just for fun instead of a job because the pay kinda sucks so it isn't really worth moving but maybe something more specialized might be worth it.

OP
OP
P

p1l0t

Forum Probie
Update: So I signed up for the latest BLS class. From what I gather through Google searching is that BLS is basically CPR/AED with some additional life support functions for healthcare providers like ambu bags at such. Is this about right? They said I could take either for the ride along but BLS seems more in-depth. Not sure if it's going really be any advantage for taking my EMT-B in the spring since that's so much more involved but whatever.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Well I hope you find out if this job is for you or not. If you do decide to continue and get your paramedic, since you are a pilot/instructor you should look into becoming a flight medic or be a pilot for them. Well best of luck.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Most states require a "Healthcare Provider" CPR class for anyone operating in a healthcare roll.

OP
OP
P

p1l0t

Forum Probie
Finished the BLS course, got my ride along application just waiting for the cert to come in the mail although I took it there anyway I should probably just mail it in now. They said they are going to notify when the next EMT-B class is starting.

Pkreilley

Forum Probie
Welcome to the EMS family!

OP
OP
P

p1l0t

Forum Probie
Did my ride-along last night. Got dispatched 4 times. I can't give specifics but I know what GI bleeding smells like. 3 TX 1 refusal. One was probably incarcerits... prisoner with chest pain. I learned some jargon too. I am definitely going to take EMT-B at least. Just need the time and the money...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I really wish sometimes that we only would run 4 calls in a shift. Sounds so peaceful.

OP
OP
P

p1l0t

Forum Probie
I noticed that the only people who need to go don't want to and the people who don't need to go want to go.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yea that's pretty standard. "Take me to the hospital!!!!" "Ma'am I'm glad to take you there but I have to tell the doctor why you're there." "Because I want to be now take me!!"

Orrrrr

"Sir, you are having a heart attack, which hospital do you use?" "I ain't going nowhere!" "Umm...sir if we don't get you to a hospital and get blood flow back to your heart this is just going to get worse..." "I don't care, I'm not going, you can't make me!" "

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
I'm glad you weren't grossed out by the GI bleed! Haha that's cool you're pursuing your EMT certification. I got mine last January at 19 years old.. Joined a department as a volunteer and absolutely love it. I'm going through the advanced EMT course now. Maybe you could pursue that after you finish?

Anyways best of luck to you, and welcome to EMS!

NBFFD2433

Forum Crew Member
So I talked to some volunteer medics (EMTs or Paramedics IDK) and now I got this idea in my head that I really want to try this out. I have no previous medical training besides CPR but I am going to renew my CPR certification just so I can go on a ride along (company policy for the town volunteer corps). I've also been reading some of the threads in here as a guest and it seems like a crazy job that you guys do. It seems like it gets messy at times. and there are some 'frequent flyers' to deal with but saving a life once in awhile must make it worth it in the end. Anyway I figured I would introduce myself and who knows maybe I'll wash out or get grossed during training and never make it as one of you but I'm going to try it out. I am from CT I have a BS in Aviation Science, working on a Master's. I am pilot and flight instructor as a hobby. I work in a machine shop full-time as the IT guy and computer programmer actually but I still go on the shop floor and run the machines once in a blue moon if they are in a pinch or something. I ride my bicycle a couple times a week, so I am somewhat healthy, I can stick with something, I am always learning, and I love intense adrenaline producing situations but I still don't know if I could make it as an EMT. The more I look into it the more respect I have for what you guys do. I am going to give it a go though. I'm taking the CPR course to just to get the ride along mostly, lol. Although I really could use a refresher and you never know when it could come in handy I guess I don't have to tell you guys that. I should probably put off EMT-Basic until the Spring when I finish my degree though so I have more time to study and train but I am going to do the CPR cert. ASAP because I am excited about the ride along.

Usually if you can deal with the ride along you are good to go. Good luck!:)