WA state EMT reciprocity licensing timeline

kels42

Forum Ride Along
Hi so I don't usually do this , but I have become increasingly frustrated with the bureaucratic purgatory that my WA EMT reciprocity application as been in.

I've been looking at several other threads related to the WA EMT application process and have not seen anything about how long it has taken people to have their's issued. I am associated with an agency and have all the parts of my application in. My "pending" status showed up around February 14th, I was e-mailed on the 21st that I was missing my HIV/AIDS train cert which I attached in an e-mail that same day. I called on the 28th because I hadn't heard anything and was told that they had everything they needed from me and that my application was in final review. It'll be another week tomorrow and as of today my application is still "pending". So it'll have been three weeks since it first showed up on the state search site.

I just want to know if this is normal so I can stop pulling my hair out, I just really want to get to work, or if something is wrong.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's been several years since I was in Washington, but in 2008, the wait period was 6 to 8 weeks.

Drax

Forum Captain
Everything you've said sounds typical. It depends on the county you're going through too, some offices are busier than others.

Hold My Beer

Forum Probie
I had my EMT-B cert in WA for 6 years before getting my medic cert (in washington) but working in another state for a year. I have since moved back to washington and have been waiting for a month to get my EMT-P even though I still hold an active EMT-B cert. I've called the DOH several times and they say to "just keep checking the website, your under final review." SO what I'm getting at is... WA takes their sweet *** time.

Bassmaster

Forum Ride Along
Just to be clear, to initially begin working as an EMT-B in WA, I get my NREMT certification and then apply for state certification after getting hired by an EMS agency?

Hold My Beer

Forum Probie
Thanks. Another noob question, do I need the 7 hours of HIV/AIDS training before I can apply for a job or can I do it after I apply?
You can take the class in an hour online for $30. I would suggest doing it asap as to not slow down your cert. I doubt it would bar you from applying since it is so easy to get. However if you don't have it done any the other person applying does...

Bassmaster

Forum Ride Along
You need that to get WA certification. Get it done now.

It's like 25 bucks if you take it online. http://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/IllnessandDisease/HIVAIDS/Prevention/Training
You can take the class in an hour online for $30. I would suggest doing it asap as to not slow down your cert. I doubt it would bar you from applying since it is so easy to get. However if you don't have it done any the other person applying does...
Thanks, really appreciate the help!

Beejbeachball

Forum Probie
Hey sir, it's been a year, did you get your state license?
I'm moving to Washington too and would like to know the process. So far I have completed the 7 hour HIV/AIDS course and now I'm in the middle of completing the application for reciprocity.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Hey sir, it's been a year, did you get your state license?
I'm moving to Washington too and would like to know the process. So far I have completed the 7 hour HIV/AIDS course and now I'm in the middle of completing the application for reciprocity.
WA requires you to have a sponsoring agency before they will issue your license to work.

But here is the secret. Fill out everything except the sponsoring agency/medical director part and mail it to the state. They are going to make you take the NREMT written again but you will be issued an EMS number and the licence will be on hold till you get a sponsoring agency. It will speed up the time it takes to get your license and make you more hireable. Granted you have a pulse so private agencies will pick you up quickly.

Beejbeachball

Forum Probie
inn
WA requires you to have a sponsoring agency before they will issue your license to work.

But here is the secret. Fill out everything except the sponsoring agency/medical director part and mail it to the state. They are going to make you take the NREMT written again but you will be issued an EMS number and the licence will be on hold till you get a sponsoring agency. It will speed up the time it takes to get your license and make you more hireable. Granted you have a pulse so private agencies will pick you up quickly.

That Would mean I have to pay another fee to test and go to a Pearson Vue test center again right?

PotatoMedic

inn

That Would mean I have to pay another fee to test and go to a Pearson Vue test center again right?
How recently did you take the test? I believe if it was withing 6 months you don't. But that I'm not sure about.

Beejbeachball

Forum Probie
How recently did you take the test? I believe if it was withing 6 months you don't. But that I'm not sure about.

Yes my test is well within that timeline. I thought how it works is that you apply for a job, get hired, then ask for sponsorship for licensure from employer.

PotatoMedic

Yes that is one way to do it. But you can also send in an application with all but the agency and medical director signature and you can get a pending license.

Beejbeachball

Forum Probie
Yes that is one way to do it. But you can also send in an application with all but the agency and medical director signature and you can get a pending license.

Thanks for the info, the only thing I'm worried about now is the city workers taking their time approving my application. I've heard of horror stories of long wait times. Even city workers here in Hawaii like to take their time.

PotatoMedic

That is why I say get it in early. Once the state does their thing it takes no time to get final approval if all you have left is the agency/medical director.

Beejbeachball

Forum Probie
Hey I just sent in my application and have received delivery arrival from USPS. How long would it take till I get a response? Should I call to tell them?

PotatoMedic

Don't call because they don't like it. Go here: https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/providercredentialsearch/
And just keep searching for your name till it shows up. I would say after about two weeks if nothing is there given them a ring. Max phone calls to them I would say, one a week. I had a coworker call daily for about a month and they had his phone number memorized and would answer the phone, "No not yet." then hang up.