WA reciprocity package questions for any WA state EMS.

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
So I'm getting my package together for WA reciprocity since I'll be moving to the state next month. I've called a few times to get some questions in but still getting confused. Any of you current WA EMS individuals willing to give me some answers.

On the package in regards to 'Supervisor/Medical program director signature form' It seems to state that I need to get this done but I'm not affiliated with any EMS agency as of yet. Now I was told over the phone that I can send the package off without it, but am a bit confused by them saying I won't get anything until I get affiliated with an agency? I don't know how it works quite yet with Washington EMS.

here is the link to the WA state reciprocity package http://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/530062.pdf

The part im talking about is down near the end on 15/17. I got the rest of the package complete and the verification form sent off to the VA EMS so they can do there thing and send it off to WA EMS.

Im just a bit confused in regards to the Supervisor/MPD signature part as stated Ive not worked in the field yet nor am affiliated with any agency and I dont get to Washington state until about mid June.

Thanks

Note: I wasn't sure where to post this but I suppose it does go a bit into 'employment' aspect of the forums.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The state of Washington will not.grant reciprocity until you are sponsored/hired by an.agency

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
ok. so either hired or sponsored. How does sponsorship work ?

And with that I can still send off the package minus the 'agency/sponsorship' part and just have to get hired / sponsored before it gets approved?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
So fill everything out but obviously leave the supervisor and medical director part blank. Mail that and everything into the state. They will process it and you will show up in the system as pending. Then when you get hired all your employer will need to do is mail in their section(supervisor and medical director) and the state will quickly grant certification.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
So fill everything out but obviously leave the supervisor and medical director part blank. Mail that and everything into the state. They will process it and you will show up in the system as pending. Then when you get hired all your employer will need to do is mail in their section(supervisor and medical director) and the state will quickly grant certification.

Oh okay sweet. That made things like 10x more understandable. People on the phone should of explained like this ha. I was like whaaaaat?

Drax

Forum Captain
Now for the sprint, I think they only keep that paperwork for about a year. Might be wise to apply for some volunteer fire departments as well. Just as a fall back plan in case you don't land a job right away.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
Volunteering isn't on my list of things to do as I need income for my kids. But if i have to in order to get my cert approved so be it.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Are you a B or a medic? Where in WA are you moving?

Right now is probably the worst time to try and find an EMS job in Washington. A glut of new paramedics just graduated and another crop of EMT basic's were just hatched.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
Im currently a B.

Well thats some reassuring news lol, guess Ill continue working random jobs. I'll be moving towards Bremerton area.

NomadicMedic

well, I'd put an application in at Oly in Brem right now.

Don't be fooled by "Bremerton Ambulance". It's still Olympic, with just a different name on the trucks.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I was looking at either Olympic or Tri-Med as both seem to be the only ones websites that still take applications.

Unsrue if I should put it in now. I don't have a Washington State EMT Cert / Nor a WA state drivers license yet. Im still in Virginia with Virginia certs / Driver license ha.

NomadicMedic

You'll do more 911, albeit BLS, in Brem with Oly. Way nicer stations, way nicer equipment. Not as much BS IFT. And you can work with a
Medic, which is nice. Harrison ED has a great EMS room and they don't treat non King county EMS like second class citizens. (Harborview anyone?)

TriMed is pretty ghetto fabulous. You'll run a mix of 911 BLS and Dialysis/IFT there. Trucks and stations are beat. Depending on the station, it's busy as hell. 24 hour shifts fly by. It's great WA experience though, and you'll quickly see why King County Medic One is both loved and hated. :) I worked the old Renton 92 truck. It was a blast.

As a basic, I had a great time at TriMed, but loved working per diem at Oly as a medic. The nice bunk rooms and quiet at the station more than made up for the long ALS IFT runs to Seattle or Madigan.

I'd apply now. Tell them your story and get your reciprocal paperwork in now.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
Yeah good point, Can't hurt if they say "Oh you need your WA state driver license" Than ill be like okay and reapply lol..

TriMed is ghetto fabulous? hahahahahahahaha. Thats funny.. Well good thing I was born and raised out of Lakewood / Tac town soo I know ghetto

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I say apply. They are always hiring so yeah this is the worst time. But give it a week and your application will be on the top of the list.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
It is looking like I will be living across the narrows. We're currently looking for houses in gig / Port orchard / bremerton and near Bangor (Since my wife is getting stationed there and this is a military move / though im from here as well lol)

Im getting ready to send off my Oly application, Only issue Im currently having which Im about to call for is the criminal history check is a bit confusing. So Im going to call being that Im still in a different state, and I gotta pay for my driving abstract **** to ~_~.

Sending off my Reciprocity package today though. Thanks for all the feed back though.

On another note.. Do any of you currently work for any of the companies I plan on applying for?

Drax

Forum Captain
Unless you're willing to drive an hour plus to get to work then and potentially across a bridge, I would most certainly seriously considered volunteer departments. Not a whole lot up that way, yes there is Olympic but not much else.