Volunteering in ERs

LNL07

Forum Probie
Are EMTs ever allowed to volunteer in ERs? I applied for an ER tech position and was only turned down because I didn't have any ER experience-besides my ER clinical time (48 hrs.) I needed to get my EMT license. They said come back and apply when I have 6 months+ EMT experience. I'd go work on an ambulance but around here-st. louis-you have to have your driver's license. I don't have mine. It scares the crap out of me to drive-it makes me way too nervous. I don't intend on ever getting my license either. I can't think of any other way to get experience so I can get an ER tech job. I am majoring in nursing instead of going to school to be a paramedic.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Are EMTs ever allowed to volunteer in ERs? I applied for an ER tech position and was only turned down because I didn't have any ER experience-besides my ER clinical time (48 hrs.) I needed to get my EMT license. They said come back and apply when I have 6 months+ EMT experience. I'd go work on an ambulance but around here-st. louis-you have to have your driver's license. I don't have mine. It scares the crap out of me to drive-it makes me way too nervous. I don't intend on ever getting my license either. I can't think of any other way to get experience so I can get an ER tech job. I am majoring in nursing instead of going to school to be a paramedic.

You can volunteer in the ones around here But are not allowed to use your skills. You basically fetch blankets, change beds, and just do all the grunt work.

But hey its experience.

purdue1014

Forum Crew Member

Where in STL are you?

Nimrod_BasketCase

Forum Probie
They do pretty much the same thing as Anjel's talking about here. Almost anyone can volenteer in the ER's here, but you can't use your skills or anything you just get things for people, talk to patients, play with the kids, clean the toys and waiting rooms. First you have to have all your shots, fill out a packet, get a drug test, and finger printed.

samiam

Amazing Member
Legally volunteers cant be covered under worker comp insurance so they usually won't let you do anything where you could potentially hurt yourself i.e. lifting patients and you also cannot participate in anyway in actual patient care. Source Hospital Lawyer

JPINFV

Gadfly
Legally volunteers cant be covered under worker comp insurance so they usually won't let you do anything where you could potentially hurt yourself i.e. lifting patients and you also cannot participate in anyway in actual patient care. Source Hospital Lawyer

It depends on the hospital and how the volunteer program is set up. I had more training in body mechanics during the orientation for the program I volunteered with than I did both in EMT school and company orientations combined. Similarly, being involved in patient care is dependent on the definition of patient care. Starting IVs and the like? Errr... no. Hooking up to monitors, moving patients, chest compressions, etc? Yes.

Source: 2 years hospital volunteering including a year on the program's leadership team.

samiam

Amazing Member
It depends on the hospital and how the volunteer program is set up. I had more training in body mechanics during the orientation for the program I volunteered with than I did both in EMT school and company orientations combined. Similarly, being involved in patient care is dependent on the definition of patient care. Starting IVs and the like? Errr... no. Hooking up to monitors, moving patients, chest compressions, etc? Yes.

Source: 2 years hospital volunteering including a year on the program's leadership team.

That is true some hospitals will let you do things that are considered "gray area" jobs which at some hospitals is a lot but others won't it all depends on the program and your boss.

Source: 6 years hospital volunteering

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
If I were you, I would volunteer.

The hospital I volunteer at first only let me fetch blankets and what not.

After they found out I was an emt, they were more open to show me things and let me help them.

After being there a while, staff will realize that your not just another student looking for hours, they will sincerely appreciate the help and will also be more open to help you and show you new things.

I've been volunteering in the ER for about four months now, and do much more there than I do at my other job working as an EMT.

I do everything from setting up iv's, assisting staff and nurses with traumas and codes, translating, vitals, etc.

But, this is a understaffed county hospital, so this may be part of the reason, i do more than others.

There are still certain things i'm not allowed to do, and I usually have a tech double check any work I may be doing....

Mooha182

Forum Probie
I volunteer at an overseas military hospital and am allowed to do all the non-invasive stuff they can do as well as assist in the invasive stuff, such as sutures and IV's. Now that I have my EMT, I am under another volunteer description to be able to do anything they can.

By volunteering, I already have hundreds of hours of practical ER experience plus have opened the door for getting my EMT-R, CEU's, and other certs like ACLS and PALS done for free.

Mooha182

Forum Probie
I volunteer at an overseas military hospital and am allowed to do all the non-invasive stuff they can do as well as assist in the invasive stuff, such as sutures and IV's. Now that I have my EMT, I am under another volunteer description to be able to do anything they can.

By volunteering, I already have hundreds of hours of practical ER experience plus have opened the door for getting my EMT-R, CEU's, and other certs like ACLS and PALS done for free.

Ment to say EMT-B. It's 4:30 AM and I am not quite back to my night-shift schedule. I also, oddly enough, can't edit that message.

carbonated

Forum Ride Along
I've been looking at volunteer ER Tech positions and most of the ones I've seen in California require EMT-B + some kind of Phlembotomy certification, I'm assuming so you can draw blood samples and start IVs. Does anyone know what type of phlembotomy certification would be most appropriate? Do I need to go through the whole two-semester class?