Vertical light bars

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Y’all seen this?! Haha. I had to laugh.
Wait until the whackers get ahold of these bad boys.

Reminds me of a goal post... going for a code 3 field goal back at the station!

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
these arent new, NYPD Highway cruisers have had them, they raise up so when they are stuck in traffic on the highways you can see there is a cop coming up behind you. Ive seen them on Japanese police cars in Tokyo too, either sticks that fold up or a riser that raises the whole lightbar

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I dont entirely dislike the idea, especially on a smaller patrol car. If it looks stupid but it works, then it's not stupid basically. Now the real question is, will it work? I have a feeling that the distracted/texting/drunk drivers who hit stopped emergency vehicles will still hit them even with the higher visibility, but hey it might help too.

The whacker in me still says rotating LEDs (like the old school V shaped bars on NYPD or old school CHP, but new LEDs) have the best all around visibility, and distinctive rotating catches the eye vs all the other flashy blinking ads and other lights (especially in urban areas) and are probably safer than the seizure inducing race party style flashers that seem to be the current favorites lol

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I can't find a picture, by Denver PDs highway cars have an arm that lifts their lightbar about 5 feet above the car. Makes it visible from a lot farther away.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I didn’t know this was such a common thing. Interesting, I mean, like Jim said, it’s not stupid if it works.
I guess we’ll see, and I know someone is going to take one out with a football one day. Supervisor is gonna be mad at that one.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
One night I was driving past Boston on the 95 when they were doing roadworks. They had a cruiser stopped every 100-meters. I have no idea what the speed limit was because I was probably only doing 20mph. The lights were so blinding and distracting it took every bit of concentration I had to keep it between the paint, so if I learned anything from that experience it’s safety in numbers. I’d say pepper the back of the vehicle to the point where people can’t tell if they’re seeing an emergency scene, fire-works, or tracer rounds.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I was just thinking these would be useful for tow trucks. Especially when they're hooking up a car on the side if the highway, and the car is blocking their police style low profile light bars

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
As was already mentioned, NYPD high units have had there things for literally decades.

I believe this is the new style: http://www.mcdermottlight.com/catalog/vehicle_lights_LED_multilevel.html

and for those who are super into lightbars: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/high-rise-multi-level-lights.74355/

they aren't common (outside of NYPD's highway units), but they definitely have additional visibility when on congested highways
I had no idea. Interesting.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
As was already mentioned, NYPD high units have had there things for literally decades.

I believe this is the new style: http://www.mcdermottlight.com/catalog/vehicle_lights_LED_multilevel.html

and for those who are super into lightbars: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/high-rise-multi-level-lights.74355/

they aren't common (outside of NYPD's highway units), but they definitely have additional visibility when on congested highways

I've seen those lights on the rear of FDNY/NYPD cars many times, but never had any clue that this was what they did (I've always seen them in the down position)..

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
iu