Vegetarians?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It makes no sense to me to climb to the top of the food chain just to eat carrots. But I digress.

To the OP, is there anything preventing you from taking a cooler/ice chest to work? I'm the polar opposite of vegetarian but I regularly bring food to work that requires it to be cold. I'm not the biggest fan of eating out (trying to save a dollar or two) but I will if I'm lazy and don't bring food. Obviously it's going to be harder to eat out when you're a vegetarian, but I recommend bringing a decent cooler to work. You get to choose what food you bring, you'll always have your lunch in the rig and not risk rolling the dice ordering food then getting a call, and it's cheaper/healthier than eating out.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
A good place to start is online or vegetarian cookbooks that don't require lots of specialty ingredients from the health food store. Unless of course, that is your thing.

To be honest, all one needs is a good grocery store with reasonably priced produce. Unless you go for 100% organic, in which case you're stuck with farmer markets and stores like Trader Joe's. Speaking of which, TJ's carries an absolutely *****ing pasta; there are two varieties, one is a brown rice + quinoa and another is spinach + bell peppers + beet. They're on the pricey side @ $3/bag but 100% worth it.

OP
OP
Jane

Jane

Forum Crew Member
I can definitely take a cooler and store it in one of the outside compartments. I've seen others do it. I was just looking for ideas of things to take with me, besides salad, that doesn't need warming up. (Also not hired on yet, but I definitely plan on taking lunch with me to save money)

When I was doing clinicals, I usually ended up taking baggies on baby carrots to munch on because I was at a lost to what I could bring. Plus I had preceptors who were finicky about where students stored their stuff. So bringing a lunch box along with my back pack was sometimes challenging.

Last edited:

Qulevrius

I was just looking for ideas of things to take with me, besides salad, that doesn't need warming up.

Chop/dice an onion, bell pepper(s), portobello/shiitake mushrooms, crush some garlic, grate some carrot and ginger, boil some green beans, add some bean sprouts. Cook a pot of pasta (your choice). In a large, deep bowl blend 2 eggs & dump in the prepped veggies. Put the cooked and drained pasta on top (I rinse it with cold water too, to remove the broth), add spices to taste (I usually go with some simple seasoning), some curry if you like it, some grated cheese of your choice and sprinkle everything with soy sauce. If you fancy oriental food, try the Island Soyaki sold @ TJ's, it's soy sauce based and has sesame seeds in it. Mix everything with your hands and put in a casserole. Let it sit in the oven uncovered for 20 min @ 400F, take out, mix it, put in again for another 15-20 or til the pasta starts browning, take out, mix, rinse and repeat til ready. Leave it sitting on the stove for a few hours, let it breathe and cool down. Take it to work, it doesn't spoil and doesn't need any warming up (recommended though).

Qulevrius

Yeah. I'm not a vegetarian and usually put shrimp and tuna in it. Have to take more than I can eat with me, because when I open the food container my partner always gives me the big puppy eyes and I have to feed her too :D

Mya

Forum Crew Member
Snack foods are the way to go in my opinion. Seasoned popcorn is amaaazing. I went through a salad phase haha and I'm not in it anymore but usually I'd cook a variety of foods. Squash is good hot or cold. LENTILS are a godsend. Pita chips. Fruit. Grain based snacks usually contain no animal products. Salads can be beefed up with quinoa, nuts, and other grains if you still want salads. Just add a nice dressing to keep things interesting! Cold buckwheat noodles with carrots...there's so many options!

Qulevrius

Cold buckwheat noodles

Buckwheat is my side of choice. It's not called a 'poor man's quinoa' for nothing, the caloric value is incredible. Pearl barley is also great. I do grilled veggies as well, just chop some, toss on a tray and put in the oven, it's ready in 25-30 min. Like you said, the options are endless...

Mya

Forum Crew Member
Buckwheat is my side of choice. It's not called a 'poor man's quinoa' for nothing, the caloric value is incredible. Pearl barley is also great. I do grilled veggies as well, just chop some, toss on a tray and put in the oven, it's ready in 25-30 min. Like you said, the options are endless...

I loooove putting sesame oil and either a little hoisin or fish sauce on the buckwheat noodles after I've cooked them in garlic. I feel like buckwheat noodles are so underrated!

Qulevrius

dMwENoc.jpg

----->

qOAfJyc.jpg

----->

1xWH6WN.jpg

daysquad

Forum Probie
Nope, I'm not a vegetarian but I do like eating vegetable salad. It's quite easy to prepare and requires no cooking at all.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I'm a Vegan. It's not the most convenient pairing with EMS but perfectly doable. I tend to bring meals and the supplement with stuff like fruit , granola bars, etc. If I feel like a less healthy option Ill usually get Chinese food.

I try not to eat a ton of prepared Vegan food as it's expensive and you end up eating tons of soy (I just get tired of it) but it can be easy for lunches. If you have a Trader Joes or Whole Foods you can buy prepared sandwhiches , salads, deserts etc that's pretty easy. But of course somewhat expensive.

OGMedic

Forum Ride Along
This is a little weird but there's a new science out about eating to suit your blood type and keeping with your ancestral needs. It seems that each blood type was evolved due to the diet that your ancestors had and now your body does best when eating that same diet. It makes sense to me....... I'm A+ and I just started the A diet and although skeptical, it does seem to be working.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
This is a little weird but there's a new science out about eating to suit your blood type and keeping with your ancestral needs. It seems that each blood type was evolved due to the diet that your ancestors had and now your body does best when eating that same diet. It makes sense to me....... I'm A+ and I just started the A diet and although skeptical, it does seem to be working.
Sounds like another fad diet to me

IA Undercover

Forum Ride Along
Have been for about 10 years give or take. Can't remember it was so long ago.

Never really an issue except you might get some crap from your partner about it.

Pond Life

Forum Crew Member
I am the opposite - I just tend to eat meat and fish as I find my body accepts it. I do occasionally eat veg but it's out of politeness rather than desire/needs. Salads actually make me ill - D&V.
My wife is vegetarian and we seem to get along well as far as meals are concerned. Respect each others needs at the same time indulging out own personal desires.
I too find it difficult to find decent food while on shift - huge amounts of processed meat out there. Very difficult to find healthy meat in a take away option. Night shifts in my county are particularly bad. Nothing open after 22:00 - other than Mac D which I think most people would avoid no matter what their diet habit may be.

PJCB53

Forum Ride Along
I'm mostly plant-based (strict vegan 90% of the time), and I rarely have access to a microwave or other way of heating up my food during my shift. I cook all in one day off for the week, for example this week I made stuffed peppers and 8-ball zucchini and scrambled tofu with chorizo lentils and corn fritters. All that is decent cold, which is helpful. I make a mashed chickpea mock "tuna" salad that I pack and eat on savory rice cakes with greens and grated carrots. I bring cashews, hummus, pretzels, etc. I don't care too much for salad so I try to find stuff that I can eat cold (or warm) and will pack as much nutrition and energy as possible. I also make sure I have a strong meal before work, usually a quinoa-based veggie burger on sprouted bread/bagel with tomato, red onion, nutritional yeast, greens, sometimes refried beans.

If I'm really in a pinch and have no food with me, I look for Subway, Wendy's or Starbucks during my shift. All have passable vegan options, if not desirable.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
7-Elevens have never given me a problem for using their microwaves if you do want some heated food.

I love making some burrito bowls: rice, beans, corn, tomato, Herdez avocado salsa, and whatever else you want. I can eat that warm or cold and it's really filling.

I'm trying to eat at least one vegetarian meal a day. Another good one that I love is a vegetarian quesadila. Tortilla, vegan cheese, onion, scallions, mushrooms of your choice, and some delicious Herdez avocado salsa for dipping. Cook the mushrooms with grass fed butter and some salt to get some flavor and the moisture out, then cook the onions. Put it all in the tortilla and cook. So good.