Update

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Well gang it's been a real intersting week. I need to vent so whoever actually reads this post gets to be my victims because I think my family is sick of me talking.

SO May 15th was the big day, my first day. I was completely stressed because Sunday I had a nasty episode with the abdominal probs I was having and I had to have the doctor paged, he told me that it was time to go in and find out what was wrong. So I was completely upset that I'd have to go in on my first day and tell them I had to have the next day off for surgery. I did not want them to think they hired a drama queen. Fortunately they understood and we worked out a plan that made us both happy.

Monday was pretty much all paperwork and fittings and pre-op for me on the side lol.

Tuesday I went in that morning, I didn't have to be at the hospital until noon so I went in til then, that was all Hippa tapes. There's 6 of us doing this and we kept smacking each other to stay awake. Then I had my surgery that afternoon and had good news, nothing too serious, the last doc put some tissue back together too tight and I had a nasty infection, so he remidied the tissue and put me on Cipro and I'm having a pretty easy recovery.

Wednesday, I stayed home, duh lol.

Thursday I went back to work. We went to the motorpool and learned more about ambulance engines than I will ever care to know. Got our gas keys, I.D.'s, more clothes, then ended the day practicing driving the rig. That was fun.

Today was safety day, spent the morning at Risk Management learning the "proper" ways to get on & off the rig, lift pt's etc... Then we had lunch and spent the afternoon using the radios. I kinda got ticked off today though...Apparently we have a union, we don't have to join, we get all the benefits, but if we aren't members and we or someone we worked with got in trouble, the union won't help us, we're on our own. Well before our lunch break was over and as we were all sitting in the room waiting to get started the Lt gave us info packets and applications about the union. Everyone filled them out and handed them in but me. I haven't really talked to Jay about it yet and what if I can't cut it? And because our apt has gone condo we may have to move suddenly. (not out of town Chimpie, relax lol) So before I fork out $43 a month I'd like to talk to Jay and figure out how imprtant it really is.

Well man did I get an attitude from the Lt for not turning mine in, I was nice and explained myself (well as much as he needed to know at least). So he says "well just as an incentive, I've heard, heard only, that ppl not in the union find it hard to swap shifts with others." So I didn't really respond to this, it kind of ticked me off becaus I thought the days of that were over but I guess not. One of the other new hires asked him why, he explained that those aren't members are "riding th coat tails" of those who are involved, being that they get all the benefits without putting anything into it. So that got me a little riled and I said well if they feel that way maybe they should take there union where people don't have a choice so that those who need to save thier money aren't ostrasized for it. Then he explains that being in the union is like being part of a brother or sisterhood and of course I had to remind him that as co-workers and as EMS workers we should already be in a brother/sisterhood and that paying a fee shouldn't be a requirement. He didn't like that.

We went for a break and when we returned he had gotten license plates and calendars for everyone, except me. It was really funny too because when he started passing them out (before we realized I wasn't getting one) one of the guys in it with us leaned over to me and cracked a joke saying I wasn't good enough for the union so I don't get one. The Lt was VERY short with me and told me I could ask the front desk if I wanted one.

So I'm not joining the union just out of prinicple now.

Anyway...I'm doing 2 open houses this weekend then go back mon and tues morning for EVOC, then Tues after we finish Evoc, I do what's left of a 24hr shift with an FTO, and do 2 more shifts Thurs & Sun, then I'll be paired up with a medic and on my own.

It's been fun and exhausting. I know I promised pics, but I'm still pretty swollen from the surgery so as soon as I look decent again I'll get them.

I'm done ranting now, hope ya'll been having as good a week as I have! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Sounds t me like it was a busy week. I am curious to see how your union iss works out.

I hope it goes well that's for sure. I am all about principles!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I look at my part-time employer, the "Large, national EMS provider" and I hear the differences between the Union and Non-union sites, and I recognize that a Union can be great for a couple of things:

1-When the union first starts up, and things change (pay, uniforms, benifits, etc)
2-When the Co. tries to cut back on benifits, etc (Contract negootations)
3-When you get in trouble

It might be a good idea to join the union - even just for general realitions with your co-workers... it sounds like the union is the vast majority of the employees, and a small group might have a problem with your not being in the union and see you as a "scab"

If you have issues/problems or questions - find out who the "shop stewards" are and talk with them about your reservations.

Don't just be stubborn and say "the Lt. is an :censored:hole, so I'm not going to join the union"

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I wish you a quick and speedy recovery, I am glad it wasn't anything terribly serious. Busy week for you huh?

Aside from union representation during disciplinary matters, what, if any, are the benefits of joining this particular union? What do you get for your union dues that would make it worthy of consideration? Was the union mentioned to you during the hiring process?

I enjoy your updates, and hearing how things are going for you. Take care!!!

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
MedicStudentJon said:
Don't just be stubborn and say "the Lt. is an :censored:hole, so I'm not going to join the union"

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm doing at the moment lol.

Maria, we were told about the union our first day of orientation, in fact we were told about it in our class, but it wasn't made out to be a big deal if we joined or not. They always said you get all the benfits whether you're a member or not. Which is the case, the only thing that happens if you join is that you have a "vote" when something is going on and you can get representation in disciplinary matters. Which they said is good because other people messing up can get me in trouble if I work with them etc...

But for me losing that 43 a month is kind of a big deal, and I don't want to be a part of something that makes non members feel like crap and the LT basically pushed everyone to join, which irked me too.

Jon it's a good idea, this guy wasn't a shop steward, maybe I'll see if I can get one to take a min to talk to me. But I still really don't care to join. (Even if the guy wasn't an a :censored: :censored: hole.)

I know it's a long read but ya'll are awesome just for reading it and being so supportive!!

Last edited by a moderator:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Jenn, Glad to hear your doing okay.

You might also talk to people who are not part of the union. Find out what life is like for them there. Your LT's attitude may be singular, but you may also find out, that is pretty much how it is going to be for you if you don't join. You might just find out that if you should get in trouble and your not part of the Union, the judgement has been passed even before you get to explain your side.

As far as dirty tactics and those days being over....It isn't as blatent as it used to be. But they are still there. I worked as a benefits administrator for a large National Union in Michigan. We had 17 Locals that we administered the benefits for. Joining the Union was a condition of our employment. I began looking at buying a new car. I had looked at a Honda. It got out I was looking at a non-american union made car. And it got back to me in more that one way that perhaps I should rethink the type of car I purchase. Nothing direct. But the point was made.

Good luck sticking to your principles. I really hope it works for you and you remain happy.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
EMTPrincess said:
Jenn, Glad to hear your doing okay.

You might also talk to people who are not part of the union. Find out what life is like for them there. Your LT's attitude may be singular, but you may also find out, that is pretty much how it is going to be for you if you don't join. You might just find out that if you should get in trouble and your not part of the Union, the judgement has been passed even before you get to explain your side.

As far as dirty tactics and those days being over....It isn't as blatent as it used to be. But they are still there. I worked as a benefits administrator for a large National Union in Michigan. We had 17 Locals that we administered the benefits for. Joining the Union was a condition of our employment. I began looking at buying a new car. I had looked at a Honda. It got out I was looking at a non-american union made car. And it got back to me in more that one way that perhaps I should rethink the type of car I purchase. Nothing direct. But the point was made.

Good luck sticking to your principles. I really hope it works for you and you remain happy.

That's what I'm afraid of and that's exactly why I won't join ever...if that's really the case here. My plan was to join but just hold off until we got on our feet financially again.

I just can't believe people would act like that over this. :sad:

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Heya guys, I know my posting has been a little sporatic lately, there are a lot of good posts that I have a lot I want to say too but orientation has been kicking my butt. I'm either not here and when I do get home I'm too tired to even think straight anymore.
I will be back to my normal posting schedule soon, I have my first real 24 hr shift tomorrow and am already dead tired, lucky me they put me in the busiest station in our county.
Talk to ya'll soon!
Jenn

ptemt

Forum Crew Member
Wingnut said:
Heya guys, I know my posting has been a little sporatic lately, there are a lot of good posts that I have a lot I want to say too but orientation has been kicking my butt. I'm either not here and when I do get home I'm too tired to even think straight anymore.
I will be back to my normal posting schedule soon, I have my first real 24 hr shift tomorrow and am already dead tired, lucky me they put me in the busiest station in our county.
Talk to ya'll soon!
Jenn

I may have read too much into this, but in my past experience with unions they tended to bring out the lazy in people. I do know medics and basics that are happy with low call volume. Maybe your non-union status lucked out for you and got you the busy station assignment! I do not care for unions myself and have never been a member of one. That said I think I would cough up the dues, keep quiet with a low profile and be wary of the Lt or Captain that hassled you as his world is just too small.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
ptemt said:
I may have read too much into this, but in my past experience with unions they tended to bring out the lazy in people. I do know medics and basics that are happy with low call volume. Maybe your non-union status lucked out for you and got you the busy station assignment! I do not care for unions myself and have never been a member of one. That said I think I would cough up the dues, keep quiet with a low profile and be wary of the Lt or Captain that hassled you as his world is just too small.

Actually we only had one call :sad: Figures. I just got off duty this morning on my second round and we had no calls yesterday, but I spent about 8 hrs on the rig learning where everything is so I got something out of it.

Turned out they never told us we have an autopulse on board or a CPAP or a Rescue pod. So I had the medic go over all that with me too.

This whole union thing is more than I thought it was, I guess our North Fire dept wants to take over us and our county doesn't want it or something like that. I'm SO not getting involved. No one has asked me and I ain't talking so I think it works best that way. We've lost 40 people in 3 months and the situation actually made the news last night. Big soap opera going on. I just want to work, have fun and make some money doing it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You have a Resq Pod AND AutoPulse on board? Is this a public service? Need an assistant? :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MMiz said:
You have a Resq Pod AND AutoPulse on board? Is this a public service? Need an assistant? :)
I wanna go too!

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
LMAO yeah every one of our rigs has them and we use the PIT? sytem when using them. The CPAP is awesome too, but man I'm ready to quit smoking after seeing what it does. All the medics say they've seen more saves with this new equipment than they've ever seen in thier careers.

rjlinnovations

Forum Ride Along
To wingnut

I couldn't post on advertising section so I'll post here about you needing a website. A website can be a wonderful tool and you will definetly need one for real estate. I am getting out of that sort of biz after 20 years.

You can find plenty of people to build you websites but try to find someone by word of mouth. There are people out there that will build and host for a small amount of money but if you go to an advertised service they can charge 1500- to 3000- or more.

I have a guy here in Jersey that did mine for free to get started in the biz. I get compliments from professionals on it. He can help you if you want. Probably about 300- will get you up and running. Contact me on innovations thread if you want help...even if you want some more advice.

I was a computer illiterate a year ago....but I do enjoy what a website has done for me. Go for it!

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
rjlinnovations said:
I couldn't post on advertising section so I'll post here about you needing a website. A website can be a wonderful tool and you will definetly need one for real estate. I am getting out of that sort of biz after 20 years.

You can find plenty of people to build you websites but try to find someone by word of mouth. There are people out there that will build and host for a small amount of money but if you go to an advertised service they can charge 1500- to 3000- or more.

I have a guy here in Jersey that did mine for free to get started in the biz. I get compliments from professionals on it. He can help you if you want. Probably about 300- will get you up and running. Contact me on innovations thread if you want help...even if you want some more advice.

I was a computer illiterate a year ago....but I do enjoy what a website has done for me. Go for it!

I appreciate the advice, but my husband and his friend will be setting it up for us when we're ready, we couldn't handle the volume right now if we had one.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wingnut said:
LMAO yeah every one of our rigs has them and we use the PIT? sytem when using them. The CPAP is awesome too, but man I'm ready to quit smoking after seeing what it does. All the medics say they've seen more saves with this new equipment than they've ever seen in thier careers.
CPAP is amazing... I've seen the "oh crap" stage of CHF, where I need to explain to my driver that yes, this IS a call we need to transport Class I (we rarely run hot to the ED, per policy).

I also REALLY like rolling into the the ED with the patient who was ash-gray and very hypoxic 10 minutes before, who is now pink and starting to breathe normally.... It can be funny to have to explain that the patient was almost DEAD 10 minutes ago, and now they want to go home....