"Unusual" paramedic jobs...

broken stretcher

Forum Crew Member
What are some atypical, unusual places paramedics work?? Cruise ships, oil rigs, set medics are really the only ones I have heard of... Where else??

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
expedition medics, private security medics/bodyguard medics, flight medics (overseas), search and rescue

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
remote medic locations- mining projects, energy projects (oil and gas various countries) exploration eg antarctica etc etc, everyone needs a medic of some sorts...

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Cardiology offices, insurance exams (home type), mobile medicine clinics (ie house calls), mobile hangover clinics ( Vegas and Reno)

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I know that there was a cardiology service that was using paramedics to remotely perform exercise stress tests. I believe the National Park Service will hire paramedics for ranger positions, but they're basically rangers that also have medical training. Not quite sure about how much of the job is actually paramedicine. If I didn't go to medical school, this is likely a job I would have pursued. I know Yosemite has an EMS and I think Yellowstone, too. But, I'm not sure if they're at the paramedic level of care.

Jason

Medic
In addition to the usual hospital ER positions, Medics do very well in the procedure side of the hospital environment. I hear many paramedics get hired into the Cardiac Cath Labs in some areas.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Ski Patrol

Why is Ski Patrol an unusual job for a Paramedic, there is a bunch of us on here that work Ski Patrol haha

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why is Ski Patrol an unusual job for a Paramedic, there is a bunch of us on here that work Ski Patrol haha
Because the majority of public and new providers only think medics are on fire engines or ambulances.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Because the majority of public and new providers only think medics are on fire engines or ambulances.

That is a good point, but we get paid to ski, and we get to ski in all the new powder haha. And I will gladly keep it that new providers do not know about ski patrol, less competition for us on the hill

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
I know that there was a cardiology service that was using paramedics to remotely perform exercise stress tests. I believe the National Park Service will hire paramedics for ranger positions, but they're basically rangers that also have medical training. Not quite sure about how much of the job is actually paramedicine. If I didn't go to medical school, this is likely a job I would have pursued. I know Yosemite has an EMS and I think Yellowstone, too. But, I'm not sure if they're at the paramedic level of care.

They have paramedic rangers, AMR also has a station inside the park.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
There actually is openings currently for the Parks Service as Paramedics down in the Grand Canyon

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
There actually is openings currently for the Parks Service as Paramedics down in the Grand Canyon

Do you, or anyone else, know how competitive those positions are to get? Does anything beyond NRP/NREMT-P help make candidates more appealing?