Unniversity/College Degree Help!

JPINFV

Gadfly
I wanna know what college you're at where Pyrat rum makes an appearance haha. If it came in a glass bottle it's a good day here.

Never said it makes an appearance at a party. $25 rum doesn't get used like that. However, for my own personal stash...

/When drinking, drink for quality, not quantity.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
I only use good alcohol for pouring on my scrapes :cool:

BEorP

Forum Captain
I actually thought about being a science teacher considering I come from a family of teachers. While teaching I could volunteer or be per diem I suppose. However, I already am an EMT and have been for about 3 years.

I figure its either try to get a job as a Paramedic or as an OEM Coordinator/Director for a municipality.

Ah, sorry, I missed that you are already an EMT. If your long term plans include emergency management, a degree will definitely help (any degree). Emergency management is still a young profession, but the International Association of Emergency Managers recently implemented a change in their requirements for their Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) designation that requires applicants to have a four year degree (in any field). Getting that done now will be good and who knows, you may discover other opportunities while you're studying. In terms of emergency management education, much of it is at the master's or certificate level and can be done through distance education though there are some BA/BS programs. For a pretty comprehensive listing of programs, take a look here.

OP
OP
Everett

Everett

Forum Crew Member
Ah, sorry, I missed that you are already an EMT. If your long term plans include emergency management, a degree will definitely help (any degree). Emergency management is still a young profession, but the International Association of Emergency Managers recently implemented a change in their requirements for their Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) designation that requires applicants to have a four year degree (in any field). Getting that done now will be good and who knows, you may discover other opportunities while you're studying. In terms of emergency management education, much of it is at the master's or certificate level and can be done through distance education though there are some BA/BS programs. For a pretty comprehensive listing of programs, take a look here.

Great information! Thank you very much, very helpful.

EM Education

Forum Ride Along
Adelphi University offers a B.S. in Emergency Services Administration developed for first responders who wish to put their previous training to work for them. The Program offers advanced standings for EMT, Paramedic, Firefighter and associated evaluated training programs which will help you get to your degree faster.
The program can be completed totally on line or can be a hybrid type with classes offered at the Garden City Campus.

academics.adelphi.edu/universitycollege/bs-emergency-services-degree.php[/url]

OP
OP
Everett

Everett

Forum Crew Member
Adelphi University offers a B.S. in Emergency Services Administration developed for first responders who wish to put their previous training to work for them. The Program offers advanced standings for EMT, Paramedic, Firefighter and associated evaluated training programs which will help you get to your degree faster.
The program can be completed totally on line or can be a hybrid type with classes offered at the Garden City Campus.

academics.adelphi.edu/universitycollege/bs-emergency-services-degree.php[/url]

I did look into it, great help thanks. :)

I also found what looks like a promising 4 year BA program through the University of Maryland Baltimore.

lawndartcatcher

Forum Lieutenant
My degree's in architecture...

The other route you may want to look into (sorry if this is a duplicate) is public health. Let's face it, you don't get more "public health" than EMS. There are lots of schools offering graduate (M.S. and PhD) programs in public health; the prereqs vary depending on the school. I've seen a couple that seem like an "MBA for people who want to run hospitals" while the one at Brown University (school of medicine) seems more like a stopoff for an additional M.S. while working on another advanced degree.

There are a whole spectrum of Public Health programs - some at the undergraduate level and some at the graduate level. It seems like most places are interested in the graduate degree holders (at least in the higher-level positions) which means that you could pursue an undergraduate degree in something related-but-interesting-to-you in which you grab some prereqs and go on to the graduate school of your choice.