Unniversity/College Degree Help!

Everett

Forum Crew Member
Please forgive me if this thread has already been created, I did a brief search and found nothing, so my apologies in advance.

When I graduated high school this past June, it was with aspirations of attending my local community college in order to obtain my AAS Degree and Certificate in Paramedic Science ...

However, now that the summer has ended and I have applied and gone through the proper channels in order to register, I've decided that I don't wanna attend this program. Moreover, I would love to leave my area and live on my own ... preferably in the state of New Jersey where I wouldn't have to pay outlandish and unneccesary fees. The tuition would be lower because I live in state.

I am generally not interested in programs offered by community colleges or IT schools.

That being said, is there any colleges or unniversities you know of that offer a Bachelor's program for Paramedic Science or something similar like Emergency Management, etc?

BEorP

Forum Captain
Please forgive me if this thread has already been created, I did a brief search and found nothing, so my apologies in advance.

When I graduated high school this past June, it was with aspirations of attending my local community college in order to obtain my AAS Degree and Certificate in Paramedic Science ...

However, now that the summer has ended and I have applied and gone through the proper channels in order to register, I've decided that I don't wanna attend this program. Moreover, I would love to leave my area and live on my own ... preferably in the state of New Jersey where I wouldn't have to pay outlandish and unneccesary fees. The tuition would be lower because I live in state.

I am generally not interested in programs offered by community colleges or IT schools.

That being said, is there any colleges or unniversities you know of that offer a Bachelor's program for Paramedic Science or something similar like Emergency Management, etc?

Even if you can't find a paramedic degree program, I would suggest looking at a bio or physiology degree (which should be offered pretty much anywhere). You should easily be able to do an EMT course while in college or in the summer to get your feet wet in EMS if that is what you like. Or you can just enjoy your college days and get into EMS later on. Either way, good choice on university.

OP
OP
Everett

Everett

Forum Crew Member
Even if you can't find a paramedic degree program, I would suggest looking at a bio or physiology degree (which should be offered pretty much anywhere). You should easily be able to do an EMT course while in college or in the summer to get your feet wet in EMS if that is what you like. Or you can just enjoy your college days and get into EMS later on. Either way, good choice on university.

I actually thought about being a science teacher considering I come from a family of teachers. While teaching I could volunteer or be per diem I suppose. However, I already am an EMT and have been for about 3 years.

I figure its either try to get a job as a Paramedic or as an OEM Coordinator/Director for a municipality.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
Loma Linda university has a b.s. degree in emergency medicine. This is out in California tho.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It looks decent, however more geared to pre-med students.

Is the degree specifically emergency medicine or pre-med?

In general, there is no such thing as a "pre-med" degree (and anyone majoring in "pre-med" is an idiot) as "pre-med" is more of a sequence of courses that most medical schools require and an intent to apply to medical school. Even though the degree does have some marketing for students working towards professional grad programs, the Loma Linda program is geared towards making professionals for EMS, not specifically to get students into other professional degree programs (heck, physician specialized in EM and subspecialized in EMS would be more useful than a physician with an EMS undergrad degree).

However, one thing to note is that the Loma Linda program is -NOT- a paramedic course. You don't walk out of it with the ability to apply for a paramedic license.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
Loma Linda university and by relation loma linda hospital is one of the best hospitals in San bernardino and one of our two trauma centers. I believe it would be geared toward pre med considering loma Linda is a learning hospital but I would rather attend one of the more prestigious medical institutions in Cali who are teaching the doctors that will save lives than a community college with a paramedicine degree.
But I know very little facts about the program so I wouldn't be the best source to ask.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I applied to Loma Linda the first time I applied to medical school, and didn't return the secondary after I read their lifestyle agreement. I'm not sure if the EMS program has the same... restrictions... that the medical school has.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
I applied to Loma Linda the first time I applied to medical school, and didn't return the secondary after I read their lifestyle agreement. I'm not sure if the EMS program has the same... restrictions... that the medical school has.

Mind if i ask what the lifestyle agreement included?

OP
OP
Everett

Everett

Forum Crew Member

I looked at the their website a few minutes ago.

Not exactly sure what their ideals are for emergency medicine but I don't agree with a biased college/learning experience.

JPINFV

Gadfly
For the medical students, no alcohol, tobacco, or elicit drugs on or off campus and there was a weekly chapel session required. The school is also closed Friday night to Saturday night. Loma Linda is a Seventh Day Adventist school, and those are the standards that they uphold.

http://www.llu.edu/central/apply/lifestyle.page

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
Ahhhhhhhh, I see. That's some pretty strict conduct, I wouldnt risk my money trying to abide by those rules.

JPINFV

Gadfly
...and to be fair, it is a private university which advertises, explicitly with the medical school application, what their rules are. I don't like them... and thus exercised my right to not go there. I just want to make sure that everyone is making an informed choice.

Something to consider. How likely are you to get caught if you have a beer at home after class? Also, how much is your word worth?

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
...and to be fair, it is a private university which advertises, explicitly with the medical school application, what their rules are. I don't like them... and thus exercised my right to not go there. I just want to make sure that everyone is making an informed choice.

Something to consider. How likely are you to get caught if you have a beer at home after class? Also, how much is your word worth?

Where there's one, there's a six pack.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Meh... Rum >>>> beer

pyrat_rum_xo_2.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Why's the rum always gone?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Cheaper rum, sure add some coke. I love a good rum and coke.

Pyrat rum? Take that stuff straight up. It's that good.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
Never had some. I'll have to grab some next time I'm getting "essential medical supplies"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Cheaper rum, sure add some coke. I love a good rum and coke.

Pyrat rum? Take that stuff straight up. It's that good.

I wanna know what college you're at where Pyrat rum makes an appearance haha. If it came in a glass bottle it's a good day here.