Union?

Keka

Forum Ride Along
Are there any EMS unions out there?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Yes, though from what I've seen they tend to be somewhat weak because they aren't very well established as of yet. Firefighters on the other hand have some very strong unions in some parts of the country.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
We have a standalone union that is not affiliated with any group, just the medics and dispatchers only.

I'm on the fence about the union but it has been moved to have when I need it...

I've been in the SEIU and IAFF in the past and have never been all that impressed, except with the amount of BS they try to shove down your throat.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'd be curious in hearing about your stand alone union. Did you just form an association and become a collective bargaining unit? Who does your contract negotiations? How do you handle the grievance process? Can you PM me with some info?

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'd be curious in hearing about your stand alone union. Did you just form an association and become a collective bargaining unit? Who does your contract negotiations? How do you handle the grievance process? Can you PM me with some info?

Although it started about the time I was emerging from the womb, here is what I know.

It has always been a bunch of medics who have learned how to bargain collectively. We have an attorney who handles our legal issues, grievances and questions (I think we account for about 50% of his work load). Our negotiations are handled by our medics and dispatchers who hold office.

We have managed to become the driving wage in the Minneapolis/st. Paul area and our benefits package is the best in the state for an ambulance service. We just renegotiated and have a tentative agreement that keeps us in the lead. It isn't a perfect contract, but I know I make much more than I deserve to with my lowly A.A.S. degree.

I think the thing that has helped us the most is that our relationship with management is not adversarial. We work with management, which makes things work out much better in the long run.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
A union is only as good as its local. Be careful if you choose to go with an organization that is nonspecific to EMS. Also, be aware of collective bargaining statutes in your state.

My agency provides non fire based EMS exclusively in our county. We are IAFF. Before joining, we did extensive research and asked a lot of questions related to how our ambulance service would be viewed in a local that consisted of nothing other than fire districts. To this point, we have been satisfied with the way we have been treated, and we have received a tremendous amount of support when needed.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
My agency provides non fire based EMS exclusively in our county. We are IAFF. Before joining, we did extensive research and asked a lot of questions related to how our ambulance service would be viewed in a local that consisted of nothing other than fire districts. To this point, we have been satisfied with the way we have been treated, and we have received a tremendous amount of support when needed.

Someone in Missouri was stuck with the IAFF after what happened to MAST?!

medic417

The Truth Provider
A search will of this site will provide tons of information of the good and mostly bad of EMS unions.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Again, a Union is only as good as its local.

AMEN!

To take it even a step further a union is only as good as it's members. Even outstanding officers can be helpless if the membership won't get involved and stay educated.