Uniforms

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
If she is working for the NYFD and just got out of the academy they issued her everything (to include PPE and foul weather gear) except her glasses and underwear, so the $8,000 is probably for her rookie class. If there were ten in her class that would be about an average uniform allowance, but if they spent it just on her I'm moving back to NYC. It can't have changed much in the last 39 years since I lived there.

Timmy

Forum Ride Along
My volley service issues you with everything! From our name tag to the white overalls we have for I'm assuming chemical warfare lol then everything else in between.

But mum iorns my uniform for me lol :rolleyes:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
According to OSHA rules, the employer must offer you a place to decon yourself and either wash or make arrangements to decon the soiled uniform.
Even specific requirements of water temperature.

There is no reason someone should be wearing a soiled uniform.

For those that do not feel that uniforms are important, this is the first image to patients and their families obtain from you. They do not know medicine or realize you can interpret WPW syndrome from V-tach, or be able to differentiate an EMT/ AEIOU with intubation skills patch. Hence they don't even know what intubation is... Heck, their impressed when you are able to take a B/P.

What does gain their trust is crisp, clean, well polished uniform. I have worked with idiots that barely could bandage a finger, but families was more impressed over the person in a nice uniform and friendly demeanor rather than medical knowledge. They do not know the difference.

Look at most troopers. There are very few states that do not require their troopers to present themselves in a very professional image. I know our's always look like they just walked out of a dry cleaners, even at 3 a.m...

What sickens me, is to see EMS in grubby dirty uniforms. Many of these are non-uniform type with their names or a Star of Life embrodied on some type of jacket, cap, T-shirt. Shirt tails hanging out or butt crack exposed. Many have no clue on what image they are presenting our profession. Bosting multiple patches (at least the lapel pins have decreased), yet appear unkept.

We have a policy and peer pressure to look professional at all times. Hence, one is required to carry additional uniforms. We have a washer and dryer at the base, as well as ironing boards with spray starch. Each station as well has shoe shine kits. that each employee pitches in an employee fund to purchase items. Shoes are to be shined after being skuffed or dirty.

Sure, it is reasonable one will get "dirty", but; to remain so is unexcusable as well potentially dangerous.

Employers, that really care for their employees will offer enough uniforms, and uniform allowances to maintain a decent uniform. As well as protective gear such as rain coats, and winter coats. It should be part of the employers responsibility, like the employee wearing it, to maintain and present in a positive image.

The way I look at it, if an employer is concerned about their business they will provide adequate and nice uniform allowance. It is their P.R. and image, as well it is their employee. The same for the employee. It is an image that is presented to the patient and others to gain trust, to display professionalism. If one does not care to even maintain that, doubtful they will care enough to maintain knowledge in providing health care.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I tried to figure it up. And the best I can come up with is my last agency spent approximately $2000 per new employee. When I started I was given 4 Flying Cross uniform shirts, 4 Fechenheimer EMS pants, Fechenheimer coat with liner, New rescue gear(bloodborne resistant bunker coat and pants), helmet, $100 annual boot allowance, 4 sweatshirts, 4 t-shirts, 2 belts, optional nanook of the north fur hat or ball cap, ballistic vest, 2 name tags, rain suit, optional commando sweater and I think that is all. After that, if you ever needed uniforms, just tell your Captain and he would submit the purchase order and in 2-3 days you would have your new uniforms, no questions ask.

Of course, I was one of the charter members of our Honor Guard, only the second EMS Honor Guard in the state of NC. And we spent approximately $3000 per Honor Guard uniform then, I think we started out with 12 on the team. So they didn't mind spending money to make the agency look professional. www.fcems.com

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Rid, Thank you! Can't stand it when people look like slobs, Take pride, and be pround in what we do and how we present ourselves. That is the bottem line!;)

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
polish your freaking boots!!!

and people, learn what a shirt stay is, cost a couple of bucks and keep your shirt from billowing out of your pants, or comming un tucked while crouching, running, ect. worth it.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
We have a policy and peer pressure to look professional at all times. Hence, one is required to carry additional uniforms.

I think that our county requires us to have a spare uniform on the rig.

At least that's what teh boss has told us. I could be wrong. But we have a company policy to have a spare uniform with us anyway, and we're expected to keep ourselves clean.

It's really not that hard. :)

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
while i'll agree the majority view the cover more important than the book, i'll also add this old book has seen a whole lotta calls where all i have is a nice well worded story

~S~

TheDoll

Forum Captain
I think that our county requires us to have a spare uniform on the rig.

At least that's what teh boss has told us. I could be wrong. But we have a company policy to have a spare uniform with us anyway, and we're expected to keep ourselves clean.

It's really not that hard. :)
that's a great policy!! i agree, it's not that hard to look acceptable. plus, and i said this before, but think about it people--the people you deal with are often totally freaked out. why not look nice and clean in order to not freak them out further. if i were a pt and i thought that my medic still had the guts on him from the last gal, i would be totally grossed out. this reminds me of a guy who works for a fdept around here and he has the hare krishna ponytail on top of his head. the rest of his head is shaved bare. the first time i saw him i could NOT believe he was aloud to work with his hair like that, but apparently it he says it has something to do with his religion--he is not hare krishna, btw. anyway, religion or not, i think it is totally unacceptable. however, with all of the freedom of whatever "stuff" out there the fire dept. is too afraid to make him comply. it's crap i tell you [/tangent]

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
while i'll agree the majority view the cover more important than the book, i'll also add this old book has seen a whole lotta calls where all i have is a nice well worded story

~S~

You can actually have both...

R/r 911

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
grossed out. this reminds me of a guy who works for a fdept around here and he has the hare krishna ponytail on top of his head. the rest of his head is shaved bare. the first time i saw him i could NOT believe he was aloud to work with his hair like that, but apparently it he says it has something to do with his religion--he is not hare krishna, btw. anyway, religion or not, i think it is totally unacceptable.

Oh, you'd hate my hair then. ;-) Actually, that's one thing I draw the line at. If it's OK for girls to have hair down to their butt, then mine should be OK at shoulder length.

At least I don't have any tattoos. I've seen some FD guys with tats all over their arms. My hair is far less 'out there' than skull & crossbone tattoos. :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We don't allow tattoos that can be visible. Long hair has to be worn up or in a hair net... as well as no facial piercings or ear rings..

We are in a conservative area, with majority of population > 65.

R/r 911

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally Posted by Stevo

~S~

You can actually have both...

I do have both Ryder, in fact i clean up quite well. but you see, the majority of ems is still rural, at least in terms of area covered. And those that respond from our place of work often do so in the prevelant dress

now i'm sure you grasp my analogical stab at the issue, don't you? but for the sake of our viewing patronage i guess i'll simply spell it out ....

given no choice,(which is often) i'd rather be well spoken with a patient, than well dressed

i'm not out to make the cover of Galls in this gig, and i certainly loath the idea of those vain individuals that would place the issue at the forefront of their status quo

~S~