Uniforms

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Back when I used to work regularly in EMS, I'd have my uniform dry cleaned before each shift. It would cost only a few dollars, but it was always nice arriving in a clean, crisp, white uniform.

As much as I don't want to say it, many of the people I work with, have tattered and beat up uniforms. It doesn't help that we all wear white uniform shirts. We're given a few hundred dollars a year for new uniforms, but usually it's spent on a new pair of boots, pants, and cold weather gear. Uniform shirts are usually last on the list.

Public image a big part of EMS, and it's embarrassing how unprofessional we look sometimes. I can be working with the most competent EMT, but it looks bad when he shows up on scene with stains all over his beat up white shirt.

Is this common in EMS? More of a private EMS thing? Does your service pay for dry cleaning?

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
I think it is more common than most people think. I have worked with someone who would have to look under the seat of there bronco for a shirt when reporting to work.

I like the look of a pressed uniform. I used to press mine befor every shift. I did my on because the cleaners took to long and would mess them up.

Epi-do

I see dead people
When I worked for a hospital based service, we were given and allowance each year for new uniforms. The hospital provided coats for us, but everything else had to come out of your allowance. I still would end up spending a little bit of my own money each year to get everything I needed.

When working private service, I have worked for places that provided an allowance, and then I have worked for places that made you buy your shirts out of your pocket and would payroll deduct the cost. Everything else you were expected to supply on your own.

Now, at the fire department, we have a quartermaster system. I have to admit I probably like it the best since I can replace things as I need to and don't have to worry about cost, etc. The only thing we have to supply is our duty boots. Class B's, t-shirts, duty pants, sweats, shorts, sweatshirts, gear, and fireboots are all provided for us. If you want any "extras" you are expected to provide them for yourself.

As far as drycleaning goes, I have never worked anywhere that would pay for you to have your uniforms drycleaned. You were free to do it if you wanted to, but you would have to pay for it yourself.

From what I have seen of private service around here, it seems like the uniforms are in about the same condition as the rest of the equipment they supply. Heck, the last private service I worked at didn't even supply me with new shirts. I got shirts that and had been turned in by a former employee that was "about" my size. That meant the shirts were about two sizes too big.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As a supervisor I went and purchased an iron and ironing board with some starch.. they had a choice. Get their unifiorms dry cleaned, iron them or go home on their time, second offense a write up, third offense stay home.

Every place I have worked at has a uniform policy, that the employee should demonstrate a professional and clean image.

R/r 911

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
We get shirts only, everything else is pay-as-you-go. I've always been one for showing up to work clean and ready to go, but it's tough when your shirts are 16 months old and asking for new ones gets no response. <_<

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
service 1 - blue polo shirts with the company logo on front, and "EMT" on the back. If the shirt gets stained, we can just ask for another one.

service 2 - light blue button up shirts. Kind of cop looking shirts, actually. Company logo on a patch on a shoulder. We're supposed to have a spare uniform shirt, and if it gets stained, they'll just give us another one.

If you have people with stained up & sloppy uniforms, chances are they're just pigs. :)

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
I like my scrubs.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think my dream job would entail wearing scrubs.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
my company provides a initial uniform issue of 3 each l/s and s/s shirts, two pair pants and one coat(blauer patrol type)

the pants they issues are straight legged regualr work pants(no pockets). or they will pay 1/2 the cost of the emt style pants and you have to pay the rest.

replacement uniforms have to be beaten out of human resources with a large stick and are never replaced 1/1. so if over the course of a year all of your shirts have become less than desirable in appreance, you might get 2 of each in replacement. so the downward spiral??? consequently, alot of our shirts(white) dont look so hot. i already have to buy boots, belt, sweater, a nedw coat becase the one the company buys is about as waterprooof as a paper bag and, being black with only one small reflective stripe its pretty much invisible at night and various other accutremeunt(sp), im not buying new white shirts. its not taht i dont take my job seriously. its not that im not professional. its money.

as a side note, i believe taht the relationship between appearence and professionalism to be a loosely connected one at best. example: we used to have a -p that worked for my company. his uniform as he saw it was the uniform gray emt pants, varying colored t shirt, tattered navy reuben with a generic -p patch(not state, and no company patch) and a red sox ball cap. now somebody who bases an employees ability to do his job on his appearence would immediatley see this guy as a bad employee when in fact he is one of the best, most knowledgable, well qualified and dedicated medics i have ever met. he just doesent liek uniforms...

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't mind ironing my uniforms, one in a while I will take my pants to the drycleaner to get them pressed to perk up the creases. What I don't like and hate with a passion is when people have long hair and let it fly all over the place, looks like crap and the second is long fake nails, Are we working here or are we walking down the catwalk? My mom was from the old school of nursing and let me tell you what she said. "If your hair is down and your nails are too long, how can you work on the patient? YOU CAN'T:wacko:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
as a side note, i believe taht the relationship between appearence and professionalism to be a loosely connected one at best. example: we used to have a -p that worked for my company. his uniform as he saw it was the uniform gray emt pants, varying colored t shirt, tattered navy reuben with a generic -p patch(not state, and no company patch) and a red sox ball cap. now somebody who bases an employees ability to do his job on his appearence would immediatley see this guy as a bad employee when in fact he is one of the best, most knowledgable, well qualified and dedicated medics i have ever met. he just doesent liek uniforms...

The issue isn't if I think he is good or bad... it is the general public. If you go to buy a car, do you want the one that is covered in dirt with a scratched paint job and needs a good interior vaccuming, or do you want the one that was just detailed inside and out... like it or not, we are somewhat vain and base our first impressions by what something or someone looks like.

I don't send my uniforms to the cleaners all the time, but they do go at least once every 2-3 months, as was said earlier - it helps the creases to stand out and makes my care of them easier.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
my company provides a initial uniform issue of 3 each l/s and s/s shirts, two pair pants and one coat(blauer patrol type)

the pants they issues are straight legged regualr work pants(no pockets). or they will pay 1/2 the cost of the emt style pants and you have to pay the rest.

replacement uniforms have to be beaten out of human resources with a large stick and are never replaced 1/1. so if over the course of a year all of your shirts have become less than desirable in appreance, you might get 2 of each in replacement. so the downward spiral??? consequently, alot of our shirts(white) dont look so hot. i already have to buy boots, belt, sweater, a nedw coat becase the one the company buys is about as waterprooof as a paper bag and, being black with only one small reflective stripe its pretty much invisible at night and various other accutremeunt(sp), im not buying new white shirts. its not taht i dont take my job seriously. its not that im not professional. its money.

I also know providers like this. Some of the best I know but it is not what we think of them it is what the public thinks. That is what we have to remember.

lfsvr0114

Forum Crew Member
One of my companies provides shirts and we have a laundry service, so there is no reason that our shirts should be raggity, dirty or wrinkled. My other service uses polos and if one gets torn or stained, it is replaced as soon as you tell them you need a new one.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
One of my companies provides shirts and we have a laundry service, so there is no reason that our shirts should be raggity, dirty or wrinkled. My other service uses polos and if one gets torn or stained, it is replaced as soon as you tell them you need a new one.

now that is very very nice! i wish all companies would do that.:)

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Heh heh heh. Y'all and your uniform issues. I love my service: Wear anything that looks semi-professional, and if you want company T-Shirts, jackets, or polos, just ask.

:p

TheDoll

Forum Captain
i don't work for a service yet (i still have to take my state written test). however, i think your appearance is extremely important when working--especially in ems. when i would do my ride alongs or work in the ER for class i always made sure that i was clean and put together. i also made sure my uniform was as spotless as possible, and i followed he dresscode to a "T". if i was feeling lazy about ironing or something i always thought "you are helping someone on what is quite possibly the worst and scariest day of his/her life. the least you could do is give them a little added security by not being filthy."
now i work on a burn unit, and i get to wear scrubs. i still make sure that i have a nice pair of scrubs and that my shoes look nice. i also make sure that i am clean and have a nice appearance.
i think that our public image is very important, and, yes, i think it starts with your appearance.

nrmedic

Forum Ride Along
Nothing like showing up for work in pajamas.

Except for walking up that hill when that 30 degree wind is whipping. But once we are inside, we don't have to go out and play unless we want to.
At least it will not be as hard to get back into my pajamas as it was the trauma pants.
****sigh****

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Except for walking up that hill when that 30 degree wind is whipping. But once we are inside, we don't have to go out and play unless we want to.
At least it will not be as hard to get back into my pajamas as it was the trauma pants.
****sigh****
What... no BDU's?