Undecided about testing for Intermediate

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Hello y'all, I am just wanting some thoughts and opinions on whether I should test for my Intermediate while still in school or just wait and test for my Medic. I am debating because of the whole "Do I want to work EMS while in school?" thing.

I have a great job and insurance at a local hospital and they are very flexible with my school schedule which I appreciate immensely. But another aspect is that our area doesnt have aot of Intermediates, and they generally only hire 3 during the summer, so my chance of getting that job is slim, but not completely out of the question. I want to work as soon as possible, but also know that working EMS hours during school can be difficult. Worse case scenario, I test and just hold onto it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :D

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I say test for I. You really have nothing to lose by testing for it and if something happens where you cant finish medic school atleast you have a higher cert and can pick up where you left off in medic school without startimg over.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
what Linuss said. i tested for mine, for basically the reason he stated. its good national registry practice at the very least.

-Jeff

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I tested for I as basically a consolation for not finishing internship for medic. Although it helped with moving too

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Go for it. It's not a tough test.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
oh, i was also about to need to recert and it was easier to just test for I and not have to think about it for another couple years ;)

-Jeff

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
When I did my National Registry Intermediate test, it was a mix of medics-testers and intermediate-testers. We were tested on the same stations, with the same sheets. The only difference is the Intermediates didn't do a lot of the stations, since the clinical skills are obviously different. If nothing else, it'll give you an experience of what the actual clinical skills tests will be like.

I say go for it.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Agreed... it will let your see a few of the medic test stations and have that much more practice for the NREMT skill testing.

Plus, getting that much more experience with the limited advanced skill you have can only benefit you since you're already in medic school. Never hurts to practice IVs more :)

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
OP
OP
WannaBeFlight

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks you all, I appreciate the feed back! I am just looking at testing for the State Intermediate for now, its not a requirement to have National Registry in my area. I agree that there is no harm in taking it, but I have heard that it is very hard test.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Definitely won't be any harder than the paramedic test, so you might as well do it anyhow.

You'll do fine :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thanks you all, I appreciate the feed back! I am just looking at testing for the State Intermediate for now, its not a requirement to have National Registry in my area. I agree that there is no harm in taking it, but I have heard that it is very hard test.

I had no problems at all with it. The NR test was easy (But then again I did I/85 since that's all I was allowed to do cause NM doesn't use I/99)

reaper

Working Bum
Test NREMT, then drive a little south for some part time work! ;)

8jimi8

CFRN
You can do it :)!

OP
OP
WannaBeFlight

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I found out this morning from my EMS Director that he is requiring a minimum of an 85 in the class to be able to test. This is mainly due to monetary support that the program recieves if everyone passes. I have an 83, so getting an 85 isnt going to be a problem. I am aiming to end with an A, and I have several chances to keep my grade up there. So we will see. :)