Unable to find NR testing

MountainMedic911

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, I normally wouldn't be coming to a forum to post this but I'm getting pretty frustrated and don't know where else to go. I currently live in Oregon and need to recertify my NR to qualify for reciprocity and obtain my Paramedic license here (my CA license is still active.) My county liaison says he's waiting on Salem while Salem refuses to give me an answer on anything. I live in an area that is currently very shorthanded on ALS providers and expediting licensing would definitely benefit everyone in this scenario. Outside of leaving the state and spending way more money and time than I want to, is there anything I can do to figure out this issue? I find it pretty ridiculous with everything going on with the shortages that this much red tape still exists. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLIFE!

I'm not sure what your question is. If you need to recertify or do a refresher for your National Registry why not complete an online course?

OP
OP
M

MountainMedic911

Forum Ride Along
My NR is about 4 years lapsed, I just always renewed my state. I am trying to find somewhere to do skills testing as well as the written.

OP
OP
M

MountainMedic911

Forum Ride Along
Or is it possible to just have the CEs, do a refresher course and apply for my NR cert again? Forgive my ignorance on this, I never renewed my NR after getting it the first time.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It looks like you need:
  1. 60 hours of continuing education
  2. Cognitive Test
  3. Skills-Based (Psychomotor) Test - locator here
I can't find any upcoming psychomotor tests in your state (or nearby), but the Washington DOH website says that most schools offer exams at the end of the semester.

If it were me I'd likely plan on road-tripping or flying somewhere to take the test.

Good luck!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
How about spending $200 to fly to Las Vegas next month for the test?

The flight is $81, two nights at a hotel are another $100, and you'll have some good stories to tell.

OP
OP
M

MountainMedic911

Forum Ride Along
Yea that's kind of the boat I figured I was in. Lol I do like the Vegas idea though. Might be my only option. Just crazy to me how an entire state can just cancel all NR tests and not provide a secondary process to get people certified.

OP
OP
M

MountainMedic911

Forum Ride Along
I appreciate you taking the time to look though. It's more info than I've received from anyone else and now I at least know what my path is. Thank you

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I literally just went through this and what @MMiz said is correct.

I worked at a base that closed. The only two bases I could transfer to were not desirable to me. My company had a travel position which required me to get certified/licensed in another state. My national registry had lapsed several years ago.

First, I paid a fee. I don't remember how much, but that's what I did.

On the website, I saw them say you had to take a refresher. I also saw that you could do it with >60 hours of CEs. I sent an e-mail to support@nremt.org and she said that I could turn in >60 hours of CEs without taking a refresher and it was OK to just reply to the e-mail with proof of CEs and my "NREMT application cover letter". I replied with the proof of 60 hours of CEs and the cover letter. She said I was approved to test.

I scheduled the NREMT cognitive exam and passed it.

I looked on the NREMT website for any place to take the psychomotor exam. This was just before the holidays so I was worried I was gonna get screwed. There was one location in San Diego, AMTI, that was doing psychomotor exams. I called them to make sure it was for paramedics and also clarify dates. The dates on the NREMT website was conflicting/different from the dates on the AMTI website. They said it was the AMTI website date. I paid and scheduled to take the psychomotor exam with them. I flew down to San Diego, took the psychomotor, and passed. After the weekend, I checked the NREMT website and it had my NREMT number on there.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Part of my job as a regional educator is to serve as an advanced level psychomotor exam representative for national registry. We have students traveling into our exams from all across the country. It is not uncommon.
Advanced EMT and paramedic psychomotor exams can be done anywhere in the country. Fly to one close to you, take the exam and be done. COVID restrictions really screwed this process for a lot of people.

The good news is, next year, psychomotor exams will be a thing of the past, at least for advanced level certification.

OP
OP
M

MountainMedic911

Forum Ride Along
Part of my job as a regional educator is to serve as an advanced level psychomotor exam representative for national registry. We have students traveling into our exams from all across the country. It is not uncommon.
Advanced EMT and paramedic psychomotor exams can be done anywhere in the country. Fly to one close to you, take the exam and be done. COVID restrictions really screwed this process for a lot of people.

The good news is, next year, psychomotor exams will be a thing of the past, at least for advanced level certification.
NR is getting rid of the skills testing? Are they replacing it with something different or just having everyone do the cognitive exam from now on?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
NR is getting rid of the skills testing? Are they replacing it with something different or just having everyone do the cognitive exam from now on?
The advanced level (AEMT and Paramedic) psychomotor exam will be ending in mid 2023, replaced by a competency portfolio managed by the education institute and a more comprehensive cognitive exam with more questions.