"Um, what is that thing hanging out of this kid's chest?" - Broviac caths

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Maybe it was the company I worked for, but you absolutely did not access a dialysis catheter without both you and the pt wearing a mask. The one time a patient refused to wear a mask under any circumstance they had to fill out an AMA form and a disclaimer acknowledging the fact that they were going against clinic policy before we were allowed to start their treatment.

The patient and provider also had to wear masks anytime the dressing was changed on the catheter (which was done at the beginning of every treatment).

Patients didn't have to wear them the whole time they were on dialysis unless otherwise ordered by their doc, it was just when the caps were off the ports or the skin around the catheter was exposed.

I worked for the big national company known for providing dialysis, so I'm guessing that the mask policy was in place at more clinics than just the ones in my area.

Rid, I'm not trying to be super argumentative about this, I'm just saying what my experience has been.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Maybe it was the company I worked for, but you absolutely did not access a dialysis catheter without both you and the pt wearing a mask. The one time a patient refused to wear a mask under any circumstance they had to fill out an AMA form and a disclaimer acknowledging the fact that they were going against clinic policy before we were allowed to start their treatment.

The patient and provider also had to wear masks anytime the dressing was changed on the catheter (which was done at the beginning of every treatment).

Patients didn't have to wear them the whole time they were on dialysis unless otherwise ordered by their doc, it was just when the caps were off the ports or the skin around the catheter was exposed.

I worked for the big national company known for providing dialysis, so I'm guessing that the mask policy was in place at more clinics than just the ones in my area.

Rid, I'm not trying to be super argumentative about this, I'm just saying what my experience has been.

I am not disagreeing, I have attempted to research this and the reason why? I cannot find any documentation (even in Medicare web site for HCFA reimbursement) other than particulant masks should be used while treating those with known infection(s).

I personally have never worked in dialysis unit other than through clinicals and observation and caring for those in ICU and of course response while in EMS.

I will attempt to research more, just for my curiosity.

R/r 911

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Some resources:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/dialysis/NW17Meeting7_20_08.pdf
slide 60

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5005a1.htm
Staff members should wear gowns, face shields, eye wear, or masks to protect themselves and prevent soiling of clothing when performing procedures during which spurting or spattering of blood might occur (e.g., during initiation and termination of dialysis, cleaning of dialyzers, and centrifugation of blood). Such protective clothing or gear should be changed if it becomes soiled with blood, body fluids, secretions, or excretions. Staff members should not eat, drink, or smoke in the dialysis treatment area or in the laboratory. However, patients can be served meals or eat food brought from home at their dialysis station. The glasses, dishes, and other utensils should be cleaned in the usual manner; no special care of these items is needed.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually this is not much different than those for EMS. It states the same procedures for BSI as ..."or mask" as describing those with eyewear. to prevent splash.

Many of those in EMS are not aware, food, drinks, lipstick, gum, etc.. is not supposed to be in an EMS unit also.

R/r 911

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Facebook! Look up Pedi EMS

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I have had pts selfaccess them...

One was in his car inthe hospital parking lot, wearing a gown, and shooting heroin into it.