UK Boy Dies as Ambulance Crew Takes Tea Break

Should EMS crews be given breaks when they can't be sent on calls?

• No, EMS crews are paid to work, they should get no breaks

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes, everyone should get a break, for food, tea, or nature breaks

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Yes, they should be given breaks, but their breaks can be interrupted if a call comes in

Votes: 43 84.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
We don't get any breaks. We eat whenever we have time.
and what if you don't have time? Many people are under the impression that we have a lot of downtime.

at my agency, we can do as much as 20 calls in 12 hours, especially in the summers. in fact, I heard one guy (during his orientation) did 27 911 jobs in 12 hours, the busiest he has even been. Dispatch can be consistently holding 5-10 jobs every time you clear the hospital. and by agency policy (yes, its in writing) we don't utilize outside mutual aid for routine emergency calls that are coded as BLS assignments by our EMD trained call takers.

when do you go to the bathroom? or run into a subshop and pick up lunch? or even just stop and grab a new bottle of cold water? if there are jobs pending, unless you milk your time in the ER, or otherwise artificially delay becoming available, you won't get the downtime that many people here are assuming that all ems systems have

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it's pretty simple. If a service is extremely busy, breaks should be incorporated into the schedule and staffing should account for the gaps.

If a service is not so busy, it's probably ok to let people eat, poop, whatever as they have time, with the understanding nothing is guaranteed. If I were in a slow system I'd much rather take care of such things as time allows while getting paid than having an unnecessary unpaid hour-long break.

clibb

Forum Captain
and what if you don't have time? Many people are under the impression that we have a lot of downtime.

at my agency, we can do as much as 20 calls in 12 hours, especially in the summers. in fact, I heard one guy (during his orientation) did 27 911 jobs in 12 hours, the busiest he has even been. Dispatch can be consistently holding 5-10 jobs every time you clear the hospital. and by agency policy (yes, its in writing) we don't utilize outside mutual aid for routine emergency calls that are coded as BLS assignments by our EMD trained call takers.

when do you go to the bathroom? or run into a subshop and pick up lunch? or even just stop and grab a new bottle of cold water? if there are jobs pending, unless you milk your time in the ER, or otherwise artificially delay becoming available, you won't get the downtime that many people here are assuming that all ems systems have

I bring my own food. It's healthier than eating out. I use the rest room after I have dropped a patient off at the hospital. We run anywhere between 6-20 calls in a shift 911. It totally depends on how many cars we are down. If we are the only one without a patient I'll stage and then hold it. Easy as that.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
While we have systems in place to try and ensure breaks, sometimes they dont happen. At least we are compensated well if this happens.

We had 2 minutes of a meal break on a 10 hour shift (extended to 10.5)

Because of this we received an allowance for- breaking our meal, not finishing the meal, finishing late (> 1 hr) and got paid double time for 5 hours due to no break :p. Its not that bad here either- we generally get around 30 mins at hospital. This is due to paperwork and taking 10-15 minutes for patients to be triaged and offloaded. During this time we can go to the toilet, grab something from a vending machine if needed.

Breaks should be mandated, enforced and crews compensated if they cant get them.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
There is absolutely no justification for no breaks Brown does not care how "busy" you are, there is just no bloody way you can justify a crew working twelve hours straight. It is inhumane.

For those crews who work eight hours we get 2x 15 minute and 1x 30 minute break and for crews who work 12 hours we get 2x 30 minute breaks.

Brown is abhorrently disgusted that some people have no mandated break times, it makes Brown want to vomit blood.

Ambulance Officers are performing assessment and complex treatment, making independent clinical decisions around treatment and transport and driving. There is no way this can be done safely without a decent rest break.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
There is absolutely no justification for no breaks Brown does not care how "busy" you are, there is just no bloody way you can justify a crew working twelve hours straight. It is inhumane.

For those crews who work eight hours we get 2x 15 minute and 1x 30 minute break and for crews who work 12 hours we get 2x 30 minute breaks.

Brown is abhorrently disgusted that some people have no mandated break times, it makes Brown want to vomit blood.

Ambulance Officers are performing assessment and complex treatment, making independent clinical decisions around treatment and transport and driving. There is no way this can be done safely without a decent rest break.

:):):)

angrynuni

Forum Probie
This is a debate? It seems like common sense.

Take breaks when needed / wanted, if a call comes in you take it.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
This is a debate? It seems like common sense.

Take breaks when needed / wanted, if a call comes in you take it.

Have you been reading the thread? I think it very clearly explains why that's not all that easy in some services/systems/areas.

That's like saying, "Can't support yourself on EMS pay? Make more money and stay in the same job."

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
While I believe it's important for an ambulance crew to have a break, I just think it's unreasonable to have breaks that can't be interrupted, unless of course there's a back up crew to cover the crew on break.

Devils advocate: What's the point of having a break if you can be forced away from it? Isn't the time not on a call technically a break already?

If a service is not so busy, it's probably ok to let people eat, poop, whatever as they have time, with the understanding nothing is guaranteed. If I were in a slow system I'd much rather take care of such things as time allows while getting paid than having an unnecessary unpaid hour-long break.

I see a problem with this. In my county, we can have a day where not a single truck moves (rare), or days where each of the 5 trucks doesn't see it's station for 20 hours, if not the full 24.

Last edited by a moderator:

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Interesting...only 2 people got pissy at me for my vote. The system I work in has a good mix of downtime/runtime. I consider any time I'm not on a call a "break" and as Lucid said earlier, I'd MUCH rather have that system in place than one where I have to work longer for an unnecessary UNPAID break. Now, all that being said, in my system that works great. We will run between 7-15 calls in a 24hr shift, and that is plenty of time to get some rest. Also, if one of our crews start getting their rears handed to them, a slower car will cover for a little bit.

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
I see a problem with this. In my county, we can have a day where not a single truck moves (rare), or days where each of the 5 trucks doesn't see it's station for 20 hours, if not the full 24.

And in that first scenario that means they got a 4 hour break right? :D

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd MUCH rather have that system in place than one where I have to work longer for an unnecessary UNPAID break.

Agreed. But I don't have any unpaid breaks. Since we're still available for high priority calls, we're still working and are paid for the entire length of our break. The only way I'd accept an unpaid break is if I was entirely unavailable for calls, returned to my home station and able to leave the workplace during that time.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Lol, you've never been to Lakewood have you? :p

blukaman

Forum Probie
Well here in Ft Collins the cops are on the mark. We've got 4 different PD's in town, so i guess coverage isn't really a problem.

For example, at my restaurant job my boss accidentally hit the panic button. Less than 3 minutes later 6 cops surrounded the building with guns drawn. That was pretty impressive.

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Agreed. But I don't have any unpaid breaks. Since we're still available for high priority calls, we're still working and are paid for the entire length of our break. The only way I'd accept an unpaid break is if I was entirely unavailable for calls, returned to my home station and able to leave the workplace during that time.

In which case I COMPLETELY agree with you. Damn Unions...taking care of their people...providing a healthy work environment...geez ;)

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Thats crap. Eat with your radio on, it's that simple. If a call comes in suck it up and go take care of business.

Do cops ignore calls when they're taking a break? Not the ones here anyway.

It's not really crap, we get paid for our breaks here.Rested crews ill make less errors, have lower rates of stress and more happiness in their jobs. Why should I forgo a break during a 12+ hour shift to be dispatched immediately to a person with chronic lower back pain?

Here they hold lower priority calls until we are done (if possible). Most of the time we dont get to finish a full break but at least get compensated for it. Pretty much every other job entitles workers to a break.

Do you think a cop should rush off from their fast food meal for a noise complaint?

The reason EMS in the U.S gets paid pittance and works in bad conditions is because you people accept it.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you think a cop should rush off from their fast food meal for a noise complaint?

Yes, I do. Could be an occurrence of domestic violence, rape, assault, carjacking, etc...

Just as I think ems shouldn't postpone responding to a call for assistance because they have to have some tea.

Last edited by a moderator: