TX FF-P Seeking Input on Unique Employment Situation

TxFFP

Forum Ride Along

Dear gang, I just joined the forum today, so please go easy on the "fresh meat."
Here's my situation. I just retired after 23 years of service as a firefighter/paramedic. So what's the dilemma, you ask? The fact of the matter is that I'm only in my 40's, and still want to "stay in the game."
I've got my Texas Master Firefighter certification, my paramedic certification, and I'm within short striking distance of my Associate's Degree in fire sciences.
So can anybody do me a huge favor and educate me as to what's out there that's not on a full-time basis?
I'm open to part-time and/or PRN work, such as offshore paramedic work, fire/EMS work in remote and unusual locations(I'm single), flight paramedicine, event stand-by's, and whatever else crosses y'all's broad imaginations. I'm sure that I'm just scratching the surface, so I look forward to hearing from some of you soon.

Thanks in advance,

TxFFP

WhiskeySix5

Forum Crew Member
It really depends on what you want to do. Most of the local hospitals will hire medics PRN, but if your looking for other more exciting positions, just do a little digging.

If you want to go to the big sandbox to play, check out KBR, DynCorp, Haliburton, XE, TRG, Raytheon, etc.

For offshore and other stuff, try Atlantic Offshore, Remote Medical, Oilfield Medics, and Trinity Medical for a start.

Hope this helps,

W

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Go work for a slower FD, draw from your first agencies pension, work till you retire, have 2 pensions!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Go work for a slower FD, draw from your first agencies pension, work till you retire, have 2 pensions!

This is a good plan.

OP
OP
T

TxFFP

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, y'all...

Dear WhiskeySix5(I won't ask), thanks for the input. Have you or someone you know ever worked for any of these companies? I was just curious as to what these companies did with their firefighters or paramedics.
Linuss and NVRob, don't you think I've tried that already? Ya' know, bed sores are a lot more painful than people think.

Thanks,

TxFFP

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
What about being an instructor? Pass on what you've learned.

Depending on where in Texas you are the need for remote type medics in south Texas should start soon with the shale oil boom starting.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If my experience helps...

The world is full of retired firefighters, cops, etc. Everyone want to be a CPR instructor part time, or related. Like other parts of the job market, you will be in competition and have to sell and prove yourself. Dust off your curriculum vita, maybe take some adult education certification classes, do some Am Red Cross vollie work?
You might look into companies that teach but not just CPR, or companies that sell and service AED's, first aid kites, oxygen, establish relationships, then try for more hours if it suits you.
Or go back to school and get more fire science creeds, take classes in command and control (University of Fredericks EMI has them online for free and very small credits for them), or look at training for fire investigator...lots to possibly do. While the job possibility is bleak, the training will keep you sharp and fill in the yawning hole you resume will develop without it.

WhiskeySix5

Forum Crew Member
Dear WhiskeySix5(I won't ask), thanks for the input. Have you or someone you know ever worked for any of these companies? I was just curious as to what these companies did with their firefighters or paramedics.
Thanks,

TxFFP

WhiskeySix5 is a military call sign...

I have two former Ranger / SF buddies who are medics with a military contractor, and are currently in the sandbox. They make exceptional money, and come home twice a year expenses paid. You will need to have tactical and weapons training to work with them though.

I have another buddy who works through RMI (Remote Medical) on a gas platform which suits him well, as he wants to stay as far as possible from his ex. I know you have to commit to a certain deployment period that is pretty aggressive, but I do not know how often he gets to come home and what not.

W

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
If you tell me what area of Tx, I can give you some help

OP
OP
T

TxFFP

Forum Ride Along
Thanks!

Hey there, fellow EMS people, and thanks for the responses; I really appreciate it.
In answer to your question, I'm in southeast Texas, in the Houston area.
Thanks again.

See ya',

TxFFP

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
Hey there, fellow EMS people, and thanks for the responses; I really appreciate it.
In answer to your question, I'm in southeast Texas, in the Houston area.
Thanks again.

See ya',

TxFFP

shoot me a message real quick, my company is hiring paramedics now i believe

OP
OP
T

TxFFP

Forum Ride Along
Hey, tssemt2010...

Hey, tssemt2010, and thanks for the message. The system won't allow me to send you a message directly. Any advice?
Thanks again.

See ya',

TxFFP