two-way radio question

medman123

Forum Lieutenant
What kind of 2 ways do you use; I know it may very from state to state. Do you guys use uhf radios? Vhf radios? Or something else? Thanks in advance!

will

Forum Probie
The entire County where I live runs off one Fire Dispatch unit/system all of which is a VHF system. Pretty much everyone in the County uses VHF (Police/Fire) with our Small city utilizing UHF (seem to recall hearing once it's an older system)

OP
OP
M

medman123

Forum Lieutenant
The entire County where I live runs off one Fire Dispatch unit/system all of which is a VHF system. Pretty much everyone in the County uses VHF (Police/Fire) with our Small city utilizing UHF (seem to recall hearing once it's an older system)
Thanks a million!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Smoke signals usually work the best out here :p

Actually, we use a county wide VHF system that is in the process of being converted over to narrow band frequencies to comply with the FCC rules. Each district has their own tac freqs, but for main dispatch we can here anyone in the county (that is the third largest in the state).

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Motorola's 800mhz Digital Astro System

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
900mhz privacy plus

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Each unit has two mobile radios and three hand-held radios:

800 MHz - Communicate with dispatch
VHF - Communicate with local departments
Medcom VHF - Hospital communication

I'd use UHF if I was covering a small campus or building, and VHF for anything larger.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The whole county is on a digitally trunked, 800mhz EF-Junk (I mean EFJohnson) system.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
We use a repeater based 400MHz UHF system at my full time job, and Nextels at my ambulance job. Both have benefits and drawbacks, but I prefer any radio system over the Nextels

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i prefer two cans and a string to nextels

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
i prefer two cans and a string to nextels
Amen.

I'm counting down the days to the end of my contract.. so I can go to Cingular.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
They were ATT, then they were Cingular, now they want to be ATT again... Either way, it beats the heck out of Nextel.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Either way, it beats the heck out of Nextel.

I really hope that someone from Nextel finds out about this thread, so they can see all the unsolicited feedback regarding how their product is being accepted in the EMS world...

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
out here, we are on VHF for fire and EMS except for the city of vineland (read state of) who is on 800 Mhz.

mtsjess

Forum Ride Along
Radios

We have in the past used Motorola HT750's, and up until recently we switched to a different one due to grants we received. Personally, I'll keep my old one...I love Motorola. The pager tone is much louder compared to our new ones...easier to wake up to.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
motorola ht1250. 800 mhz UHF

bobert5064

Forum Ride Along
Local Radio's

Hi,

In my area we use mostly lowband (33Mhz area), but some towns a switching over to VHF, we also use UHF to communicate with CMED(hospitals). In our units we use mostly Motorola Syntor X 9000's. For portables we use MT1000's and P200's. Personally, I must the Syntor in my car, and an HT1000 for a portable.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi,

In my area we use mostly lowband (33Mhz area), but some towns a switching over to VHF, we also use UHF to communicate with CMED(hospitals). In our units we use mostly Motorola Syntor X 9000's. For portables we use MT1000's and P200's. Personally, I must the Syntor in my car, and an HT1000 for a portable.

Bobert, where are you from?