Turmoil in Team

upmm019

Forum Probie
Looking for some different perspectives on this.....

I've been a long-time EMT-B... I think for almost 20 years now.

I've been on various small "volunteer" services. The current one that I've been on for the past 10 years seems to have what I call is "Turmoil in the Team".

Meaning that there is allot of talk between the members about other members and also our manager.

It almost feels like a social game if you will.... some are in the "in" and the rest is on the "out". Now I'm not excluding myself, I've talked the talk, etc.

however, I'm one who wants to see the service grow and expand and in general be open to new change, etc.

However, there are a few on the team that are totally opposed to it. Our manager is a friendly person but when in confrontation only hears one side and when decisions are made they seem very one-sided without any explanation what so ever.

I'm at the point where in just days I plan on turning in my resignation because I cannot handle all of what I call "turmoil" and I really want to see some changes and feel like perhaps I need to be the sacrificial lamb to make the higher ups know that change is needed.

I certainly don't want to throw anyone under the bus but it seems like if something is wrong it may be necessary to do so.....

I really enjoy doing the work I do but I don't get the same enjoyment out of it when the team is really not working as a "team" in my eyes....

reaper

Working Bum
Welcome to EMS. Only took 20 years to see this. Most small services are against any change. They have the mindset that if it works, why change it. Most are dragged into the new age of medicine, kicking and screaming.

OP
OP
U

upmm019

Forum Probie
Welcome to EMS. Only took 20 years to see this. Most small services are against any change. They have the mindset that if it works, why change it. Most are dragged into the new age of medicine, kicking and screaming.

Yeah, I guess....

I must have blinders on... perhaps it has always been this way.... However, I think regardless of the size of service you must be open to change... however little it is!

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle

+1 and then some. This can be a major frustration for the more progressive members (often the younger folks) on a volunteer squad.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Sounds like it's time to move to a professional service.

OP
OP
U

upmm019

Forum Probie
+1 and then some. This can be a major frustration for the more progressive members (often the younger folks) on a volunteer squad.

True That!! However, I'm one of the older ones and am finding some of the younger ones to be opponents to change. Stikes me as odd but then again some of the change deals with adding more members and I think that is where the social games come into play.

The over all team is very small and had complaints that not enough were taking their fair share of weekends but then when we discuss adding more member they are opposed to that as well.

Sometimes we look at surrounding services and not that we want to strive to be exactly like them but look at the positives that they have an try to implement those into our service, some folks look at that like we are trying to be like the other service and loose the focus that we are just trying to improve our service by taking best practices from other services to better improve ours.... Not a very difficult concept to understand in my opinion.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
True That!! However, I'm one of the older ones and am finding some of the younger ones to be opponents to change. Stikes me as odd but then again some of the change deals with adding more members and I think that is where the social games come into play.

To be fair, it often has to do with length of service, not age, though for obvious reasons those two are linked to a degree. People who have been in the "system" see it as the best way, while those who come in with fresh eyes might say, "Well, this is a heck of a way to run a railroad."

And never underestimate the social dynamic of personal likes and dislikes. People may not be able to seperate the source of the proposal from its substance.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Sounds like Volitics at its finest. It can suck. It is a way of life with many volunteer and combination departments.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Some games are better lost than won, and others best not played at all.

Booger 'em, move on.

OP
OP
U

upmm019

Forum Probie
Thanks for the feedback.

I've reached my crossroads today and still have not decided what I'm going to do. I think I just may take a sabatical from it all for a few months.

I'm finding that at the end of the day... no one else really cares so why should I...

OP
OP
U

upmm019

Forum Probie
Tomorrow is my last day...

Would have liked to make it to 20 years but that is not going happen.

Thanks for the feedback.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Why not go to a paid service and try real EMS? Why not continue your education if you are serious about making progress in EMS? As a Paramedic you can do so much more that just drive patients to the hospital.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Why not go to a paid service and try real EMS? Why not continue your education if you are serious about making progress in EMS? As a Paramedic you can do so much more that just drive patients to the hospital.

I can agree with the part about continuing your education... but I'm not so sure that just because a service is paid it is "real" EMS. But since this will just turn into another pro-/anti-volunteer flame war, I'll just leave it there.

OP
OP
U

upmm019

Forum Probie

Might consider that someday....becoming a "Real" EMS provider

Like your comment "just drive patients to the hosptial".... perhaps all of our patients that live in a BLS area should just call a taxi when they are in need seeing that a BLS provider only does the "driving" and provides no other value!

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Might consider that someday....becoming a "Real" EMS provider

Like your comment "just drive patients to the hosptial".... perhaps all of our patients that live in a BLS area should just call a taxi when they are in need seeing that a BLS provider only does the "driving" and provides no other value!

Might as well not really much if any change in patient outcome.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Whoa... back this bus on up. There are plenty of things that BLS crews can do that DO matter. Good BLS is the start of all care - we ALL know that. feel free to PM me about this if you really want to debate, but we can't let this thread get off track.

Jon

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Might as well not really much if any change in patient outcome.

You wouldn't think someone claiming to be a medic would say something so foolish. Basic is where it all begins and where you develop your good assessment skills, without a proper assessment ALS means nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
You wouldn't think someone claiming to be a medic would say something so foolish. Basic is where it all begins and where you develop your good assessment skills, without a proper assessment ALS means nothing.
Here in the NWT we have 2 paid ems agencies one is in our capital city and that one is fire based and a private contractor providing service in the NWT second largest community they are both BLS the only ALS provider is our air medevac service. I agree with the above poster.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
And what is that taxi driver going to do when the person in the back starts to go into shock because he wasnt trained to identify early signs or take measures to prevent shock? Or what about a patient that needs good airway management?