True story, no right or wrong ...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Called to the local 24 hr Denny's restaurant, manager says there's a drunk in the ladies' room. We go in with local police and find a college-aged woman wearing a nice seasonally appropriate sundress, soaking with water the manager threw on her to "wake he up". VS were ok, no signs of trauma, but responsive only to pain or ammonia and then just by moaning. We took her to the local ER and, it being a slow evening for them and us, helped solve a puzzle: who was she and what happened? Her purse was on the restroom floor but empty of wallet, she wore no jewelry, no tattoos. No needle tracks, no odor of alcohol or ketones, no incontonence, nada . A waitress remembered her having been with two guys and some girl, and the girl helping her to the lavatory, then the party left (apparently lightened by one). She was aroused by ER treatment and medication, but by then her father was on his way out from Pennsylvania (no pun intended) to collect her, which he did the next morning. By the way, at the time of her discharge to her dad, she could remember nothing about the entire evening, despite basically repeating what the waitress saw to the police at the ER.

1. What happened?
2. How did we figure out who she was?
3. What happend to her memory?

(I'll answer on Friday. I may insert comments on your comments).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Hmmm. This was 1981 in the midwest, but on the right track.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ruffie and soda with a twist of lime?

Hastings

Noobie
I'm adding a fourth question to those first three.

If it's a true story, how can there be no right/wrong answers? If it's a true story, I'm pretty sure it has one right answer, with the rest being wrong.

Also, pretty sure Flunitrazepam and others like it were around in 1981.

Pretty, young girl with non-traumatic amnesia? I'm going to have to take Pharmacology for 500.

Anticonvulsants, perhaps? Benzodiazepines? Tricyclic Antidepressants?

SmokeyBear

Forum Crew Member
1980s? Midwest? No track marks, incontinence, alcohol or keotones? No mention of psych problems?

I would guess Huffing, possibly gasoline. If you want to go to the extreme, midwest/young college kids with no money, how about fermenting feces and urine (cow or human) which creates a gas which can be huffed?

flhtci01

Forum Captain
1) T's and B'? pentazocine with tripelennamine
2) Previous record?
3) Effect of the drugs

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

OK, I'll give you the first one

1. Apparently, alcohol plus a small dose of "short-acting" barbituate per the ER staff the next day. No hx of drug abuse per the dad when he scooped he up the next day.

The subject was one of thousands of out of state students at Univ Neb, Lincoln.

As for "No right, no wrong", hey, ths is my thread, it was thirty years ago and I'm enjoying the freewheeling lack of rigor to people's answers. Don't worry, I'll reveal the final startling and remarkably banal answers....tomorrow!;)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Ps: Good thinking!

In rural settings, sometimes veterinary pharmaceuticals can make their way into alternate pharmacalogical routes, including antibiotics, tranks, and other stuff being sold as other-other stuff.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
In rural settings, sometimes veterinary pharmaceuticals can make their way into alternate pharmacalogical routes, including antibiotics, tranks, and other stuff being sold as other-other stuff.

Just happened to remember that ketamine was popular around then.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Not ketamine.

Anyone else remember "Star Trek Deep Space Nine using "Ketamine-White" as the name for an addictive performance enhanciong drug?
Ketamine is still used.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Vets also use valium, morphine, steroids, and many other human type meds. We had a vet here busted for selling them to his staff. His clinic was a very popular place to work for a certain type of individual.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I worked at a pet and feed store near L.A. in 1971

You couldn't buy a medicine dropper at a pharmacy without a Rx because they were used to shoot dope, but our dumpster was rummaged periodically becuase we occasionally used and discarded syringes, and we sold medicine droppers (and veterinary injectables) just fine, thanks.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

OK, answer to #3...

Her father came from out of state, and after a short closed door discussion with him, she declared to the officers that she didn't remember anything and could she go home now please. They said yes, and they left on the next flight to Pensylvania.

Clues to Question #2...her wallet, ID, money, keys were gone, no medic alert or other identifying jewelry, and the event occurred Friday night and was over by Saturday afternoon so we didn't send a copy of her photo to the University on a chance. As I recall, her purse held a pencil, pun intended this time, some cosmetics, and not much else.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Her father came from out of state, and after a short closed door discussion with him, she declared to the officers that she didn't remember anything and could she go home now please. They said yes, and they left on the next flight to Pensylvania.

Clues to Question #2...her wallet, ID, money, keys were gone, no medic alert or other identifying jewelry, and the event occurred Friday night and was over by Saturday afternoon so we didn't send a copy of her photo to the University on a chance. As I recall, her purse held a pencil, pun intended this time, some cosmetics, and not much else.

I dont get your puns :sad:

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Daughter of well known public figure, therefore she would be known by sight?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
It was a teaching hospital, and someone there happened to recognize her from class?

Hastings

Noobie
Just a side comment about time:

You know what the response from every single person here would have been if you hadn't mentioned this occurred many years ago?

"Oh, they found her phone and called one of the contacts in her list."

Ah, how times change. But seriously, that's how I do it these days. EVERYONE has a cell phone on them at all times. Well, every pretty, young girl I get called on.