Tropical Depression 12 has formed

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
C’mon Monkey Boy…I have special spot just for you :D
Really, though…If it gets bad enough and the Red Cross comes this way, will you be with them this time????

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey... get a (chat)ROOM!!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Aug 24 2005, 12:57 PM
Hey... get a (chat)ROOM!!
Jealous???

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Aug 24 2005, 01:50 PM
C’mon Monkey Boy…I have special spot just for you :D
Really, though…If it gets bad enough and the Red Cross comes this way, will you be with them this time????
Probably not, unless it's really really bad. Classes resume after the storm has passed so the Preparedness sides needs me.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Bump to update the map on page 1.

I'm heading out to teach a class. I'll know more about the storm later tonight.

Link to Miami's radar. You can see the eye now. Look for the tight circulation. Look for Sarasota on the west coast. That's where I am. Just to the left of the first S, right along the interstate. See where it says Naples, that's where Wingnut is.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
All Collier County public schools are closed for tomorrow.

Man I'll be watching a lot of cartoons :blink:

Edit: They just called Jay and told him to pack a bag :angry: This is the suckiest part about his job.

It'll be a nice break tomorrow if we don't lose power. If you see my name in the news about some woman in FL going on a manic rampage, you know I lost my AC.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Wingnut@Aug 25 2005, 12:16 PM
It'll be a nice break tomorrow if we don't lose power. If you see my name in the news about some woman in FL going on a manic rampage, you know I lost my AC.
About ready to get pounded by a hurricane, and she's worried about her air conditioning. :p :lol:

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Not only did this storm not turn North towards us, it went south. Southwest to be exact. She moved across the state in just 7 hours and is now back over open waters. She is expect to move west for the next 24 hours. This will keep the winds and rain away from Wingnut and I. Good news for us.

Bad news is that over the next couple of days Katrina will move west, strengthen, turn towards the north and head back to the panhandle, EMTPrincess's stomping grounds. This is something that she nor the rest of the residents of the panhandle need.

Here is a link to the Key West radar. You can see Naples and Sarasota are looking good.

More later. Off to teach another class.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep. It was looking like the big bend area up here (when I went to bed last night) wake up this morning and its on the other side Apalachicola - around Mexico Beach. Thats about 75 miles from me. UGH!!!

I am not worrying to much about it. At least damage wise. I stayed here for Ivan, then Dennis. This storm is going to have to be a lot bigger and badassier then either on of those.

But...GIMME A FREAKIN BREAK!!!!!!!!!! As much as I hate wish a Hurricane on someone else...TEXAS sure has been lucky the last couple years!!!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Just a lot of wind, not much rain either. It looks crappy outside, but it isn't bad. Naples has been pretty lucky, through all these hurricanes, we just get bits and peices of it, never getting hit dead on.

Good Luck Princess!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks. Glad to see you still have AC!!! We will just continue to hope it stays to the east of us. Pretty soon the "Gulf Front" Houses here will be House boats. As it is during High Tide, the water is under most of the houses on the gulf. There is just no beach left to erode.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
LOL, you know, after Charley we lost power for a week. We were going nuts with the heat. MUST HAVE AC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The wind is picking up here. Only gusts, but they are coming more frequently.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
It's actually been nice today. A lot of gusts, hardly any rain, and I've been able to keep the apt open all day.

Chimp, have you seen the latest? Looks like it's heading north. Cat 2 now, and our coast will still get nailed if it turns sharp enough.

runindash05

Forum Crew Member
Did the storm pass? Nothing here in Orlando except rain for 10 minutes. No high winds. Oh, and about the power going out like last year for a grand total of 2 weeks. It really does suck. It's so damn hot. So humid. It's horrible.

Knock on wood.

Brandon

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Sure wish it would have stayed headed towards Apailachicola....Now we are on the eastern side of a Possible Cat 5 Storm!! UGH!!!!! If only it could keep going west....

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Now, now that the storm is way off shore and heading away from us we get the roughest feeder bands yet. Lots of rain, lots of wind. No damage though.

Two of our trucks and our Mobile Ops Trailer were sent to Miami to help with relief efforts. One of the trucks (the Sprinter) and the trailer are brand new. I just hope they return in somewhat decent shape. LOL

medicstudentchris

Forum Ride Along
Looks like it is going to get really bad for New Orleans and MS gulf coast all the way to Pensacola. I live and work in Jackson, MS and we have sent 6 trucks and a few wheel chair vans to MS coast to help evacuate. looks like we are in for a rough couple of days.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well Chris, I think those trucks should head back soon and get ready for this storm. It's now a Cat 4 and the chatter around here is it could turn into a Cat 5, and for those who don't know what that means, sustained winds of > 155mph.

The storm has exploded in size over the last 24 hours and the eye is quite impressive.

As a weather nut I'll be watching it closely and think about you guys and EMTPrincess. The feeder bands can be rough in a storm this size so even though the eye won't hit her, the feeder bands will.

Take care and be prepared.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well, as of 6:25 am CDT the National Hurricane Center has upgraded Katrina to a Category 5 hurricane with 160 mph winds. This is one HUGE storm, not only in wind speed but also in overall size. It's just massive.

They have made interstates one way -- NORTH -- hoping to get as many people out of the area as possible.