trauma life support

beantown native

Forum Crew Member
Just wondering what you all use for your trauma education. I have been told there was lots of issues with ITLS, and some were using PHTLS,BTLS, and more. So, question is what do you use ?

My medic school uses Itls.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Use and teach PHTLS. ITLS is based on BTLS and seemingly more WHAT to do and PHTLS is based on ATLS and teaches why you would do it

Last edited by a moderator:

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Ive been to both PHTLS and ATLS, they're both phenominal. Try to get an ATLS class later if you can, its good enrichment. More big picture stuff.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And that tells the rest of us a lot.;)

Is there a glossary somewhere about these acronyms?

frdude1000

Forum Captain
What upsets me is the ITLS does't have very many offerings. I am even willing to do the online program and then the completer course, but there are no offerings for many months in my area. It even looks like there are limited offerings around the whole country.

Is Atls offered in California?

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
i've taken ATLS... good class, but most of the information goes way beyond the paramedics scope of practice...

Not to mention it has a ~$500 price tag...

I'd look into TNATC; focuses more on prehospital setting --> http://www.emtlife.com/www.astna.org http://www.astna.org

also, if you take ATLS or TNATC all you get out of it is the knowledge.. you cannot be "certified" as a paramedic in either of these. (something that doesn't matter to me, but may matter to others)

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
i've taken ATLS... good class, but most of the information goes way beyond the paramedics scope of practice...

Not to mention it has a ~$500 price tag......[/QUOTE]

On price you got off easy if you only paid $500

As for the rest, I would just like to point out for the veiwing audience, the full name of the course is:

"Advanced Trauma Life Support for Doctors"

:)

Anjel

Forum Angel
We do PHTLS

More education is a bonus.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
The company I work for received grant funding to do a ITLS course for all the employees and interested VFD member in the area. Ill let you know what i think after taking it. Will be able to truely compare the 2 after that.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The last time I took ITLS I almost failed it.

What aspects did you struggle with the most? For my class, Itls is the first certification course we take, 3 months into the program.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What aspects did you struggle with the most? For my class, Itls is the first certification course we take first, 3 months into the program.

reconciling what they wanted me to say I would do with what I would really do.

newenglandeve

Forum Ride Along
Phtls

We utilize PHTLS at my organization.

My understanding of some of the differences are: (And if I'm off please let me know)

PHTLS (program from NREMT)
Pre-Hospital Life Support
Aimed at EMS, street level medicine and why we do what we do. Provides information that is good for both EMT's and Paramedics.

ATLS
Advanced Trauma Life Support
Provided by the American College of Surgeons...for Doctors.

ITLS
International Trauma Life Support
Provides two different levels of class, Basic for First Responders/EMT's and Advanced for Paramedics, Trauma Nurses, Doctors, etc.

Hope this may help a little. Like I said, I have only taken PHTLS.

Stay Safe,
NewEnglandEVE

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
reconciling what they wanted me to say I would do with what I would really do.

This is a good point.

ITLS has good info in it but you have to do it exactly the way they want you too to pass the scenarios.

For what it's worth I took the "Advanced" ITLS class.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I despised ITLS.

I think most of my hatred stemmed from having just finished the trauma block in my program and having to unlearn all of that to do it "their way."

Granted I felt the same about PEPP, which was basically "take your 'general impression' block from the NREMT medical assessment and turn it into a triangle" stretched out over 16 hours.