Trauma assessment on teddy bears

SarahAus

Forum Probie
Studying for the skills portion of EMT class, and I have a teddy bear as my victim. He makes for a very realistic unresponsive patient...

Someone else has been using a pillow. Another student suggested a blow up doll... :rofl:

Go on, what random things have you used as a patient??

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Wife :D

Actually... I've been her patient more for her nursing assessments now that I think about it :p

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Wife :D

Actually... I've been her patient more for her nursing assessments now that I think about it :p

Same here..But we were both students then..

Its called touchy feely time with classmates for a reason.:p

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I used my girlfriend. Also used students that were in the class with me. My group was a very close group haha.

Where I teach we encourage the students to get hands on with the other students. All students have to do a trauma assessment on another student/instructor and more then likely have an assessment done on themselves. The best way to feel and find out what is normal for a human is to use a human.

Also gets the male students over their fear of touching female students (for assessment purposes and not sexually.)

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never understood the fear or reluctance to touch other people during an assessment. It's not sexual, but a "professional" act for a specific purpose.

Also, it's good to remember that even that teddy bear has a GCS of 3 :rofl:

OP
OP
S

SarahAus

Forum Probie

:p

I certainly use other students during class, but at home, the only time I get to practice stuff is when I'm home alone... hence the teddy bear!

Achilles

Forum Moron

EchoMikeTango82

Forum Probie
In my class we practiced on each other. We also had study groups outside of class at one of our homes and practiced on each other there as well.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
:p

I certainly use other students during class, but at home, the only time I get to practice stuff is when I'm home alone... hence the teddy bear!

How about extra clinicals?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Since moulage has not proven to be of great value other than psychological, these are cost-effective alternatives

SSwain

Forum Captain
A rolled up carpet, a huge stuffed unicorn (my daughter's...not mine), my kids, my wife, class mates, and even my preceptors while doing clinicals.

I still practice on whatever or whoever will lay,stay still long enough.

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Also gets the male students over their fear of touching female students (for assessment purposes and not sexually.)

I was the only female in a class of county firefighters during medic. When we started class and they did the "EMT refresher" for the first week, my instructor had one of my classmates take off his shirt and shoes and lay on a table so we could all practice finding pulses on a person. And of course he happened to be very fit. Funny part was, I think his coworkers all got more of a laugh out of trying to creep him out touching him... Then my instructor told us all to stick our hands down our pants to find our own femoral pulses. They all did immediatey; I politely declined.

Then about a month later we all had to find the site for a needle decompression on each other's chests. All the married guys avoided me and the one single classmate walked up to me, pulled my collar to the side, and started palpating my chest for my ribs. I looked at him, laughed, and said,

"Do you like my third intercostal space?"

He turned very, very red, while everyone else laughed :p

Also, one of the funniest days in class was when we had to run a trauma scenario and use ourselves as the victims. My instructor handed a pair of pants to one of my classmates and told him to change into them because he was the "victim" that fell down the stairs and he wanted us to practice cutting off clothing. My classmate looked at the pants, giggled, looked at me, and said, "Cap... I can't... I'm not wearing any underwear!"

Veneficus

Forum Chief

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
I've never understood the fear or reluctance to touch other people during an assessment. It's not sexual, but a "professional" act for a specific purpose.

In the field and clinical rounds I have not had any issues touching female patients; but in class...it was weird because they were not in actual danger.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Standardized patients (actors)... the only way to learn a physical exam before clinicals.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Standardized patients (actors)... the only way to learn a physical exam before clinicals.

No practice on one another? I'm not talking about intimate exams, but the more routine stuff?

I'm not sure what they pay these people, but for enough money I'd let people check my prostate all day...just sayin' :p