Transporting AAA pt?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Think about what "AAA" is an abbreviation for. I see what your saying, but your thinking of a different condition.

Oops! That's what I get for posting on the fly without really thinking! :p

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Minor point... if the AAA is in the abdomen, blood won't (and can't) pool in the thoracic cavity as there's this thing called the diaphragm that gets in the way...

:rofl: See my response above!

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
Minor point... if the AAA is in the abdomen, blood won't (and can't) pool in the thoracic cavity as there's this thing called the diaphragm that gets in the way...
It can however, pool against the diaphragm and decrease respiratory compliance.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
I'd argue heavily against this. If they're actively bleeding from an AAA, I'd worry seriously about the hemorrhaged blood pooling in the thoracic cavity, throwing off the intrathoracic or intrapleural pressure.

Read my other post.

Except that they'll be dead by then anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Believe it or not, I was actually typing something very similar to that and had to go do something else...

Medicus

Forum Probie
For completeness, I just want to point out that AAAs are extremely common and you have all transported many patients with AAAs without even knowing it. The vast majority of patients are asymptomatic and will not require surgery.

When they start to become symptomatic, that is when you need to worry.

-Medicus

OP
OP
Voodoo1

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
For completeness, I just want to point out that AAAs are extremely common and you have all transported many patients with AAAs without even knowing it. The vast majority of patients are asymptomatic and will not require surgery.

When they start to become symptomatic, that is when you need to worry.

-Medicus

Interesting. Could you explain please? I wonder how an abdominal aneurysm would be asymptomatic and not require surgury. I would think that the pt would be in quite a bit of pain and most certainly be symptomatic if there was an AAA.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
Interesting. Could you explain please? I wonder how an abdominal aneurysm would be asymptomatic and not require surgury. I would think that the pt would be in quite a bit of pain and most certainly be symptomatic if there was an AAA.
A "AAA" is an abdominal aortic aneurysm, it is a vascular malformation, most of the time is not bleeding, leaking, tearing or rupturing, it is pain free, asymptomatic and bloody hard to diagnose on examination (outside of anorexics). Most of them are detected by chance and monitored until they are large enough to warrant the risk of surgery (currently 4.4cm in the UK). They rupture (or tear or bleed or leak) much less often.

What you, in the pre-hospital field, commonly refer to as an "AAA" is actually a ruptured aneurysm.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001215/

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
An aneurysm is simply a "ballooning" of the blood vessel due to weakness of the vessel wall. As such, AAA is very common in older patients, typically just above where the aorta bifurcates into the femoral arteries due to the natural area of high pressure this creates.

What we are concerned with in EMS are rupturing or dissecting aneurysms. This is when the wall of the vessel actually tears.

OP
OP
Voodoo1

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
Thank you both LondonMedic and Usalsfyre for the clairification. :D