Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
TTLWHKR said:
Ebay........

You should just put that in your signature line. :p

IVgal

Forum Ride Along
"the disadvantage of the Sager is knowing the spprox. weight of the patient"

What about the 'awe' factor? Or no more than 15 lbs? The thing about Sager too is that you don't have to maintain manual traction throughout transportation - and it fits within the bodies silouhette, better for boarding. Not to mention it doesn't cut off the feeling to your legs like a Hare (the SI nerve under the back of the leg gets piched in a Hare) - Nor does the Sager act as a turnicate like the KTD if applied too tight.

There's a new Sager too - the Sx405, that's the total fraction response system. It can be converted into a regular splint too, not just a traction splint.

Did you know that KTD shows you how to apply traction to the arm...??? I thought traction was only ever applied to the femur???

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The KTD was originally designed for wilderness EMS, where it may be several hours/days before you can get your patient out. Traction can be applied to any limb if required, but is generally (and by protocols) only done to the femurs.

IVgal

Forum Ride Along
So KTD is designed for wilderness, where removal might take hours/days... and if they KTD restricts flow of the femoral artery and acts as a turnicate... bye-bye leg?

I just attended a conference for the western division ski patrol association and the general consensus was KTD for immediate extrication - simple, light-weight etc etc... most of the patrolmen there didn't seem to care that they could possibly damaging the femur further by cutting off circulation, or possibly causing more damage by moving the broken femur (soft tissue/nerve/artery damage) if the top strap is too tight... I do understand that time is of the essance, but what about the patient?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand why they wouldn't go with a superior product that might take an extra minute to apply if it means he gets to keep his leg...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If any device causes circulatory obstruction, it was usually because it was placed improperly by the rescuer. The thigh/inguinal strap is only supposed to be taught enough to prevent slippage and placement for traction to occur. It is no different in design than the first original Thomas half-ring splint , then the Hare, Sager, etc.. Proper padding is the key on any splint.

Basically all tractions splints are equal in how they operate, rather it is just the mechanics and materials that makes the difference.

When properly splinting, any extremity in-line traction's is supposed to occur, (for long bones) to prevent ends from lacerating nerves, muscle, tissue and of course artery and venous vessels. As well, in by doing so, reduces muscular spasms and prevention of nerve damage, especially in large muscle groups such as the quadriceps.

R/r 911

IVgal

Forum Ride Along
I'm pretty sure my problem with the KTD/CT-6 is that there is no padding, no base to assist with stationing the strap at the top.

And you're right - any trained prefessional should be able to apply a traction device without turning it into a turnicate. There is still alot of ignorance out there though.

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
I kinda find this topic interesting. I have been very active in EMS for 18 years and have applied a traction splint on one patient and that was a month ago.

I was taken aback that my partner did not know how to put one on someone. I have been certified in West Virginia and have been tested on it every two years as part of the recert skills exam. I am also certified in Ohio where I currently live and once you get your card you can just do continuing education and recert. i have since discovered there are many in Ohio who have been around awhile and have no clue how to apply a traction splint.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So KTD is designed for wilderness, where removal might take hours/days... and if they KTD restricts flow of the femoral artery and acts as a turnicate... bye-bye leg?

I just attended a conference for the western division ski patrol association and the general consensus was KTD for immediate extrication - simple, light-weight etc etc... most of the patrolmen there didn't seem to care that they could possibly damaging the femur further by cutting off circulation, or possibly causing more damage by moving the broken femur (soft tissue/nerve/artery damage) if the top strap is too tight... I do understand that time is of the essance, but what about the patient?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand why they wouldn't go with a superior product that might take an extra minute to apply if it means he gets to keep his leg...

Which would you rather carry with you 20 miles into the wilderness? The KTD was not designed for every scenario, but as a compact alternative to those who can't carry their ambulance with them.

IVgal

Forum Ride Along
There are other compact traction splints out there. I do understand the need for something small and light weight. But if you're going to put someone in traction for an extended period of time, it would be best to put them in something that would maximized pain relief and the threat of bleeding out. KTD and the Farteck CT-6 are ok products, but not the most effecient. Of course this is just my opinion.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If you are talking about EMS traction splints being used for longer than a few hours; all of them are crap! They can produce damage to the sciatic nerve as well provide poor traction due to muscular spasms, and really only providing about 10% of the body weight is not a significant amount to do anything. Again, all we are attempting or goal is to prevent neurovascular injuries.

The reason we even use traction splints is to prevent injuries, such as I have described. It is not a traction device for reduction or even keeping alignment of the distal ends of the fracture site from moving. Definitely, not anything such as a fixation device and bucks traction, with weights.

All of our traction splints are temporary devices until surgical intervention or other methodologies can be utilized.

R/r 911

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
There are other compact traction splints out there. I do understand the need for something small and light weight. But if you're going to put someone in traction for an extended period of time, it would be best to put them in something that would maximized pain relief and the threat of bleeding out. KTD and the Farteck CT-6 are ok products, but not the most effecient. Of course this is just my opinion.

True, but your original post was talking about the Sager, which is what I was comparing the KTD to.

certguy

Forum Captain
Boy , there's something out of the past . I haven't even heard of a thompson half ring since the early 90's . I've always used a hare , though the more I use a Sager , the more I like it for bilateral use and not tying up both partners .

CERTGUY

Remember ; Murphy's an optimist with a sense of humor .

rmellish

Forum Captain
A little bit of backtracking, but make sure the splint isn't longer than necessary, just slightly longer than the foot with the Hare, or until correct traction weight with the Sager (we don't use them anymore)., pt.s dont seem to like having the ambulance door shut on their fractured leg.