Tourniquets - Back in Fashion

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Really wish i had the SAM Junctional tourniquet. Doubles as a traditional pelvic binder as well as useful for device related bleeds (i.e IABP) which makes it more attractive. Holding direct pressure on a junctional injury is not ideal when you only have two providers and a lot of other interventions to do.

soflomedic14

Forum Crew Member
Love them and use them quite often as the area I work in we tend to get a ton of calls where a tourniquet definitely comes in handy. I’ve used both the MAT and SWAT-T and many others. SWAT-T tends to be more convenient in regards to time.

StephenLewisreuw

Forum Ride Along
In my entire career, I've used them twice, I think. I agree with DesertMedic66 that direct pressure works better when applied correctly. However, if they are used for tactical medicine, their utility is proven, but if the purpose is another, then I won't recommend using them. They are not clothes to be worn as a fashion element, and someone can harm himself if the tourniquet is used wrong. I think that they are made only for tactical medicine. Thank you for sharing the video, I enjoyed watching it, and I found it very informative.

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
In my entire career, I've used them twice, I think. I agree with DesertMedic66 that direct pressure works better when applied correctly. However, if they are used for tactical medicine, their utility is proven, but if the purpose is another, then I won't recommend using them
Going to have to strongly disagree with you. In my career I have used tourniquets numerous times, in a non-tactical environment, that would have been difficult or impossible to control by other means. That mentality creates preventable deaths.