Top 10 reasons why I became an EMT.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
EMS girls are usually hott.

Maybe it's because I'm not in FL, but wherever I've worked, the EMS girls are usually "horizontally challenged". They don't always start out that way, but being on the road all the time and many insults to their circadian rhythms take their toll. Same for the guys, to be fair.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
In no particular order:

1. I was working in beverage sales, w/o benefits, and needed a change.

2. I much prefer working outdoors to working indoors, particularly in an office setting.

3. Since I had moved out at 22 y/o, I needed a stable job w/ benefits, a pension, and job security, not something that could disappear at any time.

4. I was already working as a bartender and also a bouncer a few nights a week. As such, I was already used to dealing with drunks, creatures of the night and other colorful characters. Also, I was already used to working nights while also working FT during the day M-F. I didn't get into EMS for the honeys, I was already working in niteclubs, and had all I could handle.

5. I have two cousins that were FDNY medics who then left for hosp. based EMS. They told me everything about the job, and it sounded like something that I would really enjoy doing.

6. I'm naturally outgoing and social, and enjoy helping people. In fact, when dealing with miserable/disgruntled coworkers/superiors, I rather enjoy annoying them with an overabundance of energy, bugging out, cracking jokes, and talking incessantly about how great the job is, etc.

7. I was always intrigued by faces of death, watching video of surgeries, seeing my coworker's and patron's (bouncing) injuries such as shots, stabs, etc. I don't wish that on anyone, but I want to be there right after something goes down.

8. I always had an interest in medicine, not mainly trauma but real medicine, but I had no desire to spend 8-12 years or so in medical school, sacrificing my early adult social life, then pay back my loans, and not make any money until I'm like 35 or so.

9. I wanted a quick way to make good money without having to go to college.

10. I like the flexibility in scheduling as it is with the NYC hospitals; you can work days, nights, whatever fits your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Maybe it's because I'm not in FL, but wherever I've worked, the EMS girls are usually "horizontally challenged". They don't always start out that way, but being on the road all the time and many insults to their circadian rhythms take their toll. Same for the guys, to be fair.

He DID say "girls" and not women :p

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Regular, double stuf, peanut butter, mint, expand on this!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
You're right, Chimpie...

Back to the hottie medics! :ph34r:

The hottie medics are usually psychos or bunny boilers.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
10. I was looking for something else I could do besides be a chef

9. ~360j of potential energy I get to carry around

8. My Dad's the Deputy Chief at the FD, so the class was free

7. taking the class as a senior in HS meant that I got to carry a pager and leave class if it went off.

6. I've always wanted to be a Firefighter, and doing EMS as well is the right way to do it

5. there's nothing more satisfying than helping someone on the worst day of their life.

4. the sweet radio I get to carry

3. Wail, Yelp, Phaser

2. I fell in love with it during B class

1. you can't teach an old dog new tricks, so someone has to be here to replace all the "Johnny and Roy" medics soon.

OP
OP
Stephanie.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
1. you can't teach an old dog new tricks, so someone has to be here to replace all the "Johnny and Roy" medics soon.

Like.

Oh wait- wrong social networking site.:p

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
More than most people can claim legitimately... especially Basics.

Does it count if they die a few days later?

Some real and sarcastic reasons I got into EMS
- I wanted a way out of speeding tickets
- I was making waaaay too much money at McDonalds and wanted to handicap my pay some.
- I really wanted to shock someone with paddles for when I become a Paramedic (damn AEDs ruined that)
- Precordial Thump (not sure if we can do that)!
- Shoving things down people's throats is fun!
- Who wants to work 9-5 when you can work 5-5???
- DRUGS!!!
- I wanted to meet the finest society has to offer
- Lights are pretty and sirens are fun
- Probably the only career where you can fail a psych test and get a promotion
- I actually do enjoy medicine

But my number one reason for getting into EMS...
I've always wanted to drive a cab.

traumaqueen5

Forum Probie
Funny story to how I became an EMT...... First off my dad is a Firefighter so I became one.... My ex's mom is an EMT for our amb and his dad a cop for our county. She was always saying how I should become an EMT and after I went through my fire training my asst. Chief was encouraging me as well... I went on a few first response calls and I was hooked! I've been an EMS junkie ever since! Now my dad is thinking of joining me and becoming an EMT..... Who knows maybe he will haha he's a lights and sirens junkie as well! I always say he's like a kid in a candy store when that pager goes off!

Jay

Forum Lieutenant
The simple and not so simple truth

10. Likes driving like Mario Andretti.
9. Enjoys getting free, bottomless cup coffee and the miscellaneous arrhythmias that come with it.
8. The radio with the label that says "Big Daddy" makes one hell of a status symbol.
7. Closest career that can be likened to Dr. House after turning 30.
6. LOVES helping people, it's the reason I am in this world!
5. Always ends up at the wrong place at the wrong time so might as well have the ability to help out when mere chance turns into a fiasco.
4. Haven't got to wear such cool boots since I was in the Navy.
3. My wife as an ex-nurse was letting her Littmann Cardiology III simply go to waste so I just figured one day that hanging it around my neck and wearing scrubs will make me that much cooler.
2. Good gig for those of us with a short attention span.
1. Spoiler Alert: This one is sad... Watched my mother pass away about three years ago and came to the serendipitous realization that I can save some other poor :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: the heart ache that comes with burying family. That, my friends is the real reason I sleep with my radio a foot from the bed and respond whenever I am in Philly on a 24/7/365 basis. People need me and in some odd, perplexed way, I too need them.