Too much

canadadry

Forum Ride Along
Anyone ever work with someone who tends to act like a "super emt/medic" ?
Example: your partner overreacts on a simple call like taking a patient back to a nursing home, or taking a routine patient to dialysis? Hooking a patient up to the monitor, checking for a vein when there is no indication or reason to do so? Telling your partner to "light it up" just because the patient is showing 95% spo2 because they have COPD, or because they have a small cut on their finger?

There are so many people I work with who like to do a rapid trauma assessment on a patient who we are taking from home to a standard doctors appointment. Its a private ambulance company that doesnt do any sort of 911/emergency work.
Anyone else work with people like this?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Wow. I hope that's over-exaggerated. If not, find a new place to work...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I often do what probably appear to be "over the top" assessments on "simple" patients. Some people end up being way sicker than they look.

That being said, I only use lights and sirens if it is unavoidable due to policy or there is heavy traffic and we have to go through town.

OP
OP
C

canadadry

Forum Ride Along
I wish I could say I'm not exaggerating. We had a psych patient the other day we were transporting to another hospital, he said in a calm voice " I dont want to go there, i'm scared ", my partner turns to me and says "LIGHT IT UP NOW AND CALL SECURITY AT THE HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!". The patient was fine before we left the sending hospital and he was find during the entire trip.
This guy will print off strips from the monitor that are 4 feet long, once before we get in the truck, again while were enroute and again when we arrive. At the end of the trip we have 12 feet of strips. I dont get it...............

OP
OP
C

canadadry

Forum Ride Along
I often do what probably appear to be "over the top" assessments on "simple" patients. Some people end up being way sicker than they look.

That being said, I only use lights and sirens if it is unavoidable due to policy or there is heavy traffic and we have to go through town.

That is understandable, but when there is nothing wrong and the vitals prove it, and then these people call in to the ER with a report to get the entire ER stirred up only to find out that there is nothing wrong whatsoever is a little extreme to me.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
In answer to the OP question, yes, and he was the only person I've ever threatened to knock on their arse.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
In answer to the OP question, yes, and he was the only person I've ever threatened to knock on their arse.

I find that hard to believe. :p