Too late to become a paramedic?

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Hi everybody!

(at one point I thought I might be crazy for even contemplating this).

Thanks again guys!

No, you aren't crazy at all. In my emt-b class there is a guy who just retired from a career in engineering medical equipment. He is 65 and on beta blockers! Good luck to you. You can always work per diem as an EMT while possibly cutting down your hourse as a software developer, or not at all depending on how much you work.

Easy

Forum Crew Member
Heck, I'm 33 and just starting classes... glad I'm not the only one!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
As I said earlier, I will be starting medic class at 29. I have met people who started way older like 40s and 50s. These men had careers and were looking for a new one.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
It is never too late to learn and keep on learning! ^_^

Artique

Forum Crew Member
I feel you, not that I have a great carrer in the first place, or even a carrer in general. To go from such a previous train of thought to EMS, witch sounds and feels much more up my ally, is a great feeling. I can survive the pay seeing that its probley more then Im making now.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I plan to become a PA about 34 or 35. after 2 or 3 years as a medic

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
My partner at my second job decided to get her EMT after 17 years with a major auto parts manufacturer. She was thinking about making the jump to full-time EMS, but wanted to see what it was like first. She loves doing it part time, but decided to forego the full time gig in favor of a pension in just a few more years with her employer. That might be an idea for you to consider, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crystal Ann

Forum Ride Along
This thread gives me some sense of relief. I am turning 35 years old this month and I felt that I was too old to become an EMT. Now I don't feel bad anymore.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I started in EMS when I was 32, and became a medic at 40; moved across the country for a better job when I was 44 so you have long ways to go

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The only time it's truly too late to become a Paramedic is the day after you die. Since we're all (so far) younger than dead, we all are young enough to be Paramedics. In order for you to run calls and the like, you will likely need to be healthy and mobile enough to be able to get in and out of an ambulance but if you can do that, there's going to be ways around other limitations that you may have. Whether or not an employer is willing to make those accommodations is another issue altogether.

I became a Paramedic at 28. Now I'm an RN at 41 and I'm still going. Once I'm free of my "9 to 5" job and working as an RN, I'm going to try to get back into the transport game as a Paramedic again.

There is a certain freedom to being as "old" as I am... I don't much care what others think of me. I'm going to do my job the best way I know how and will continually refine my practice as I need to. It also helps that I've lost most of my sanity... I've found that things are just a lot more fun that way. ;)

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
Go for it man. I became a medic at 35. Love it. Couldn't do anything else. Yolo

Backblast

Forum Crew Member
Not at all! I just made a career change from nursing to paramedic at the ripe old age of 46. Go for it.