Too late to become a paramedic?

McFly

Forum Probie
Hi guys...

My first post here. :p

I'm almost 30 years old and currently a software developer. I can't see myself in IT for the rest of my life, and have over the past two years or so been contemplating becoming a paramedic. Something about it just appeals to me in a big way, and I've had an overwhelming feeling of wanting to help people for a long time.

My question is this: is it too late for me to make such a drastic career move? Please disregard factors like being married, having kids, drop in income, etc. I'm looking at this purely from the perspective of wanting to obtain the qualifications and then using the skills to save lives. Until what age can one expect to still actively work as a paramedic?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, a lot of new people here lately.

Age doesn't matter, but you do have to be healthy enough to do the job. This requires heavy lifting, putting yourself in dangerous situations (where you have to be fast) and all kinds of stuff like that. I worked with a guy who was 69 years old--although he looked fifty--and we ran 8 calls per day. How long you do this job depends on your own health. EMS is a young persons profession and the majority of career EMSers don't retire in EMS. Where I work, it's hard to find a paramedic or emt over 45 and only a few around that age.

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
Absolutely not. I went through medic school two years ago, I was one of the two youngest at 21y/o. The average age of my class was late 20's to early 30's. The only trouble they had was balancing home life with medic school, which is extremely time consuming. But they all said it was well worth it!! If you want it, Go For It!!! :)

As for how long, it really depends on your fitness level. If you are fit with a healthy back, you can expect to be in it for quite a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Age-wise I don't think you're too late, but you do seem to have a lot going on in your life. You're going to have to find a way to devote an entire year (maybe more) to the medic program, and I'd suggest building your savings to make that year a bit financially easier. Also, I wouldn't quite give up your current career. I'd see if you can find a way to take a leave of absence or something similar. After working for a while in EMS I decided that I thought it was a great job, but not what I wanted for a career.

I hope that helps :)

emtkelley

Forum Crew Member
My husband is 33 and he is going through his paramedic class. There is a guy in his class who is 54. Nope, not too late at all! Go for it!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Hi guys...

I'm almost 30 years old and currently a software developer. I can't see myself in IT for the rest of my life, and have over the past two years or so been contemplating becoming a paramedic. Something about it just appeals to me in a big way, and I've had an overwhelming feeling of wanting to help people for a long time.

My question is this: is it too late for me to make such a drastic career move? Please disregard factors like being married, having kids, drop in income, etc. I'm looking at this purely from the perspective of wanting to obtain the qualifications and then using the skills to save lives. Until what age can one expect to still actively work as a paramedic?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

I am 29 and currently doing a career change right now. So it is not too late.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
:) You are never too old, you have the life experience the maturity to take on this new endeavor in your life. Good luck to you and welcome to the tribe!! :) :)

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
There's a guy in an EMT class I'm helping to teach who just turned 70! As long as you're physically and mentally capable of doing the job, go for it.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
YEH!!! there's hope for me yet for paramedic school!!^_^

Epi-do

I see dead people
I went to EMT school when I was 29 and made the jump to full-time EMS when I was around 31. That was a few years ago. I am planning on going to medic school, but due to family obligations I have to wait for a couple years before being able to do it.

Realize that medic school is very time consuming, but very well worth it. Have you ever been around/involved in EMS in any capacity before? If not, I highly recommend talking with a local EMS provider and seeing if you can do a ride along. Spending time on station and observing a few runs will give you a better idea of what this job is all about. Do some research and make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. You will acquire a second family in EMS and there are countless things I love about my chosen career, but it isn't for everyone.

That being said, you are not too old to make the change to EMS, and good luck in medic school, if you do decide to go through with it!

oktom

Forum Ride Along
Cheers!

2nd for me. :)
I know *exactly* what you mean. I'm 36, been a software developer forever. I know EMS isn't what I want to do for a full time job (compared to software devel... the pay is tragic), but I share your emotions. Writing software isn't all that fulfilling, is it?

Nice to meet you, and best of luck!

Tom White,
K5EHX

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I know EMS isn't what I want to do for a full time job (compared to software devel... the pay is tragic), but I share your emotions. Writing software isn't all that fulfilling, is it?

I'm 31 and am a full time unix sysadmin for a happy computer company. I like my job, work with great people, and the pay is certainly nothing to complain about but there's just something about working EMS shifts that is captivating. It's rather addictive. I'd love to do it full time, if i could pay the damn bills! :-|

So I have to live with part time, volunteer work, and being the ERT guy around here. But I do hope to go on to medic school one day.

oh, and computers suck rocks. I like the job but am sick of the computers! ;)

OP
OP
McFly

McFly

Forum Probie
Hi everybody!

WOW!! I did not expect such a large response! :wacko: Thanks a million!! I appreciate everybody's advice, and it certainly makes me feel a lot better about my current state of mind (at one point I thought I might be crazy for even contemplating this).

I'm going to start off by doing a few CPR and First-Aid courses up to a level where, if I want to take it further, I'd have to enrol in a full-blown EMT course. I will probably want to do some volunteering work as well at that point. If I then still feel that it's something I would want to do for the rest of my life, I'd consider making a career change, obviously depending on stuff like bills, kids, etc. :)

You guys rock! I hope to remain quite active on this forum.

Thanks again guys!

OP
OP
McFly

McFly

Forum Probie
2nd for me. :)

I know *exactly* what you mean. I'm 36, been a software developer forever. I know EMS isn't what I want to do for a full time job (compared to software devel... the pay is tragic), but I share your emotions. Writing software isn't all that fulfilling, is it?

Nice to meet you, and best of luck!

Tom White,
K5EHX

Hey Tom...

You said it, buddy! Especially if you're forced to work for clients that have absolutely NO idea of software processes and good practices. I sometimes get really depressed. :sad:

So while the money's good, it's not enough to make me a happy camper.

And wow, imagine going to medic(al?) school! Somebody mentioned that before. Was that meant as "become a doctor" or "becoming a paramedic"? :blush:

I'll keep you guys posted about my plans. :)

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

ycalderon

Forum Ride Along
I feel and felt the same way you do about wanting to help people. I am 37 and just received my certification as an EMT-B and I am currently in medic school. I feel it's never to late. Read my thread in the ems lounge labeled desperately seeking encouragement. Follow your heart:)

zvi-emt

Forum Probie
ride-along

hey, a good idea in addition to taking some first aid or CPR courses would be to ride along with a local ambulance company or volunteer squad and get a feel for what working a shift , and seeing calls in the field is like. I rode along with a local squad before starting my training and it was definitely worth it.
hope this helps
good luck!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My husband graduated from Paramedic School at the ripe old age of 37. He's got 17 years in now as a career FF/PM. If you ever wonder if an age is too old to start something, just ask yourself the simple question... "How old will I be if I don't do this?"

One of our SAR members has just signed up for EMT class, he just turned 60.

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
Hi guys...

I'm almost 30 years old

My question is this: is it too late for me to make such a drastic career move?

Until what age can one expect to still actively work as a paramedic?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

You just made me feel old. Not yet 30, you youngster? I'm 38 and still going. The oldest EMT I know turns 72 this month. He works full-time for AMR in Hartford on the over night shift. (12 hour shifts, 36 to 48 hours a week).

Cheers (don't spill your milk)