Tips on Learning Drugs...

mreed113

Forum Ride Along
I just started medic school 2 weeks ago through NCTI, Is there any tips or suggestions to learning the drugs? and has anyone tried studying with audio, i heard that it helps sometimes.

Thanks, Matt

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Practice practice practice.

To add to that, if you learn their generic name, they sometimes have the same suffixes e.g. -pril for ACE inhibitors or -lol for beta-blockers.

To learn some of them, I read scenarios on here, looked at the patient's PMH, the drugs they took, thought about which one is associated with which condition, and also what I'd administer to treat their conidition e.g. if the patient is experiencing NV, I may consider administering promethazine. Learn their different names, dosage, the route & technique to administer them, their inidications, contraindications, and considerations/cautious use.

Last edited by a moderator:

emtgirl515

Forum Probie
Aside from studying my handouts from class & reading my Pharmacology book....

FLASH CARDS were what I started with. You can buy them or make your own.

I realize people learn in different ways but what helped me the most was just writing the information down. Whether it was a flash card I made or mainly just all in a notebook; writing it instead of just staring at it helped me immensely.

It's like an NREMT skill sheet you can memorize even all these drugs & dosages with practice.

JPINFV

Gadfly
When studying diseases and treatments, connect everything.

You have a patient who is responsive to pain with slow, shallow breathing, dilated pupils, and fresh needle marks in the AC.

What are the differential diagnoses for this patient?

What is the most likely diagnosis?

What other signs/symptoms are you expecting to see?

What is the pathophysiology for this diagnosis.

What are the treatments?

What are the characteristics of those treatments? (mechanism, dose, side effects, etc).

[anaphylactic shock scenario]
Same questions.

[CHF scenario]
Same questions.

etc.