Tiny

SlimeBug

Forum Ride Along
So in the mist of me finally getting my self together I’ve decided to start to train to be an EMS.
But thing about me is I’m 4ft9 (yes I know)
I’m so so self conscious that I’m just Too damn small to be able to be an EMS. I’m currently weight training and the most as of now I can lift is 80 pounds.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Not to small if you can do the basics of the job in lift the gurney and help move a PT.

Eir

Forum Probie
The 911 ALS service I ride with (as a paramedic student) has a paramedic who is about the that size. She always team-lifts the stretcher and helps move the patient to the best of her ability. She is also very knowledgable and communicates very well. Where I am, if you know your stuff and otherwise do the job well, size won't stop you.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with the other comments, and would just add that your size is a glass-half-full/half-empty kind of thing. Being able to get into smaller spaces than your partners and work effectively could be an advantage. Look for opportunities to show that.

How you see yourself and how you project your attitude about your size is important. I'd respect a mixture of self-deprecating humor and quiet competence from almost anyone, no matter what made them different.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
My EMT partner is taller than you. She's 5'2". I think you'll be fine even at 4'9" though. I think it'll help if you work with someone similar height to you (like my EMT partner) otherwise it'll be difficult for BOTH of you to put the gurney in and out of the ambulance. I'm 5'6" so it works out well with my EMT partner, but when either one of us work with someone taller, then they always want to lift the gurney themselves, lol.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Meh, I worked with a Paramedic partner for years who was a dwarf. I think he was maybe 4'9 or so, however he was stocky. He was a good medic, carried his own weight. Since I am tall, I would take the head of the stretcher typically, however I did not go out of my way to do so. Loading, unloading, I never even thought twice about whether he was capable or not. I just saw him as he was if that makes sense...I mean I was unable to doubt or question his ability no more than if it was any other person on my truck, the thought just did not enter the brain.

Power loaders and power cots are game changers...our partnership pre-dated these luxury items, however now that they are common place, height is becoming even less of an issue...except when you drag the airway bag or O2 cylinder on the ground cause you too short. :)