Thoughts on new boots

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
So in the past 10 years, Ive owned a lot of duty boots, by a lot of manufacturers.

Ive had a pair of 10" Bates Dura Shock for the past year, and they have proven to be the best little soldiers yet. My truck usually runs 16-20 calls in a typical 24 hour shift, so ankle, and heel support are integral, and these puppies arent scared of a little hoodrat action. :p

It is however time for a new pair. I am a little OCD about my boots.

Ive narrowed it down to one of the two following pairs, and was hoping some of the other old heads on here could butt in .

Danner 10" Jump Boots w

OR

Matterhorn 10" Jump Boots.

CARRERA

Forum Probie
What do you think of 5.11? I just bought a pair of 5.11 (ATAC 6). I've never worn boots before so I wanted to start out very lightweight and not too high. Plus it doesn't get very cold here and I'm only doing IFT at the moment.

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
I own Magnum Tactical, they weren't pricey but they are surprisingly comfortable. I wear them doing security for 16 hours at a time, they support my ankle well. I have also worn them in ems and they allow for good movement and traction outside. They also have a anti-slip sole that does pretty good on tile.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've been using the Converse side-zip boots and love them, even when on my feet walking for a full 12 hour shift at the hospital

reaper

Working Bum
+1

On the Converse. Best boot I have ever used. Most comfortable and lightweight.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I've been wearing Redwing 699s... i've got an oddly wide foot, so Dr martens are out of the question. and im not really familiar with some of the boots mentioned here so i stay away from them.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Haix. Best pair of boots I've ever owned. I'm breaking in a new pair at the moment - my old pair is a little over a year old, and starting to really show age - seams are coming apart, and sole is worn down. These boots have seen use 12+ hours a day, at least 5 days a week, on average, between work and medic school. I'll be sending them back for a factory refurb in the next month or so, and I'll let you know how that works out.

I wear the "Special Fighter" which is a dual-certed EMS/USAR PPE boot, because it's what they make in my size. From what I've seen, the quality is the same throughout their brand - but you do pay for it.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
go with the matterhorns! You wont be sorry

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
My question is; If you like the 10" bates that you have had for the last past year, why not stick with them?

I wear dura shock bates as well and love them. My husband wears Danner boots and loves his as well.

;)

Dreadnought

Forum Probie
I'm not an EMT so I don't mean to be out of place here, but I do know a bit about boots and have some experience...

I apologize if it's not something you're allowed to wear or is entirely inappropriate, but I wear these for my job:

http://www.salomon.com/us/#/footwear/footwear/trekking/quest-4d-gtx

(there's an all black color selection for them)

And they have treated me very well. I've put a lot of wear and tear on them, including a 20 mile forced march through the mountains in the rain and a couple dozen combat missions in both wet and dry conditions.

They have very good ankle support, an extremely comfortable and "soft" step (unlike jump boots/many other boots), and have an exceptionally wide heel as you can see in the picture. Less chance of a rolled ankle.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents... I have them, love them, and will buy another pair when these bite the dust.

I have always found jump boots to be bulky, uncomfortable, problematic to my shin splints, and not very adaptable to different situations. These are all things I take into account when purchasing boots, but like I said, I don't know if you're allowed to wear things like this.

Hope something here helps

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I have the magnum viper zip sides.. they are very comfortable and love the fact that they zip so i dont have to lace em up all the time.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
haix huh? I think i might try a pair of these out... they seem a little on the expensive size. pretty comfortable?
Very comfortable. Especially for how sturdy and heavily built they are.

Dreadnought

Forum Probie
To clarify, I'm not FUNCTIONING as an EMT, so I can't speak for the dress code. That's what I meant by "not an EMT"; I'm just NREMT-B qualified :)

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
full agreement here

My question is; If you like the 10" bates that you have had for the last past year, why not stick with them?

I wear dura shock bates as well and love them. My husband wears Danner boots and loves his as well.

;)

if something works, why switch?
I have Danner boots,, about 3 years old, even the same laces on them. 40 hrs/week and prolly another 12-15 hrs on weekends. I wear them all the time. comfy, good looking.
I would not call any boots good if they only last a year. soles should not wear out in that time.
I've heard some bad things about the 5.11's too.. ya, they look nice, but the glue lets go ln less then a year.. they are POS in my book,, ... that said, i do have several pairs of 5.11 pants that are a couple years old (dress pants) and they are just starting to show some age.

If Rocky 911's are still around those were the best boot I have ever worn. my old chief bought me these Danners as a Xmas present. those 911's were about 5 years old when I switched... reason i switched, believe it or not, my feet grew another size.. ya,, at 40 years old, from 12-13..

arawn

Forum Ride Along
I'm a fan of HAIX also. I've worn Magnums and loved them, also a big fan of Dr. Martens. But I had surgery on both my feet a little over a year ago and decided to treat my new feet with new boots. Best decision on footwear that I ever made. I bought the Airpower X9's and I love them. Yes they are a bit pricey, but when you want support and comfort price is nothing.;)

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
Danners earned my loyalty, and that of many other servicemen, when I was in. They cost about twice as much as the standard-issue boots, which were Bates I think, but I considered them very much worth it.

Then again, my feet are not your feet. Boot-shopping can be tough because trying them on in the store tells you very little, apart from gross deficiencies. To really evaluate a boot, you have to break it in and wear it for weeks. For that reason, I stick to what I know. If I find a pair of boots or running shoes that I really like, after evaluating it for at least a few days, I will sometimes go back to the store and buy 2-3 more identical pairs to stash away. My experience has been that the manufacturers will rarely make the same boot/shoe for longer than a year or two, so by the time you need a new pair it is no longer made--and the "new and improved" model may not work as well for you.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
5.11 ATAC Side Zip

I've just ordered my second pair. Got my first pair 4 years ago, and they are only just coming apart now despite running nearly a call every hour hour shift. They are amazingly comfortable and light and I love the side zip in case we do get any down time.

Can't recommend 5.11 highly enough, their gear is superb.

mct601

RN/NRP
I've just ordered my second pair. Got my first pair 4 years ago, and they are only just coming apart now despite running nearly a call every hour hour shift. They are amazingly comfortable and light and I love the side zip in case we do get any down time.

Can't recommend 5.11 highly enough, their gear is superb.

I own 5.11 pants and boots. They are great quality. I might have told this story before, but I had to work a car accident as a student. It was raining, and the truck was overturned and submerged in a low-lying area. Pants: kept my legs dry. Boots: kept my feet dry, even after being completely submerged for several minutes at a time. I did not realize my feet were dry or how well my equipment worked until afterward, when the medic told the basic to make a run by the local equipment shop to get him a new pair of dry boots to finish his 72.